It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:41 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I just confirmed, my other system with the WiFi connection backed up just fine last night, and that was the initial backup. I finally got it connected to the new server - I was having issues getting the connector installed. Funny because that was my main system when I built the first WHS, and it never had any problems, from original WHS through PP1, PP2, and PP3. But with the new server lready on PP3 before I tries to install the connector, it just kept failing. Finally found a post that mentioned something about permissions in the RSA Crypto folder - that fixed it up. My current main system with Win7 64b had no problems, the installation automatically removed the old connector and installed the new and everything was talking.

--Randy

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank rrinker for this post
thomaswhs

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:49 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

cavediver wrote:
WHS is Windows Server 2003. If you have Windows Server 2003 drivers, use them. Otherwise, use XP drivers.

Thanks cavediver, looking to slipping that into the install CD! :)

rrinker wrote:
I just confirmed, my other system with the WiFi connection backed up just fine last night, and that was the initial backup. I finally got it connected to the new server - I was having issues getting the connector installed. Funny because that was my main system when I built the first WHS, and it never had any problems, from original WHS through PP1, PP2, and PP3. But with the new server lready on PP3 before I tries to install the connector, it just kept failing. Finally found a post that mentioned something about permissions in the RSA Crypto folder - that fixed it up. My current main system with Win7 64b had no problems, the installation automatically removed the old connector and installed the new and everything was talking.

--Randy

Thanks Randy! Well atleast now I know I'll be okay with doing the initial backup through wifi.

It's getting closer and closer :) Waiting for CPU and 2x system drives to come in tomorrow. Currently running the estool on 1 of the 2 Samsung F3 2TB HD's that I just picked up. Hopefully i'll have time on Saturday to put everything together.

In the mean time, Thanks to everyone that's helping me out! :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:14 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Just my 2-cents on the WHS OS backup to ReadyNas.
As WHS is based on Win2k3 it has a built in backup tool.
As long as your server can see and mount your ReadyNas share as a drive letter.
BodaBing there ya go.

Attachment:
server-backup.jpg
server-backup.jpg [ 95.97 KiB | Viewed 6957 times ]

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Chasrobin for this post
thomaswhs
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:10 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

thomaswhs wrote:
4) Does any add-ons required for the PS3 to find the WHS? Right now with the ReadyNas I just have to enable UpNp and everything is shown on the PS3. Nothing has to be transcoded, as most are already in a PS3 compatible format.

Hands down, install ps3mediaserver for this. Browsing huge lists of music or movies is much, much, much faster than when connected to another server such as windows media connect. That's the main reason I use it.

It also transcodes on the fly, which as you mentioned your not concerned about, however it is there if ever needed. I also can pull up the plot, rating, cast, movie poster, etc with the movieinfo plugin for ps3mediaserver which is a nice touch.

If the ps3 is not recognizing the server, check the firewall on your WHS. I had to allow Java through on the port the ps3mediaserver was using.

EDIT: I have tried them all...twonky, tversity, mediatomb, subsonic, etc. I always come back to ps3media server for windows, linux, and now WHS (which is new to me as well)

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank bvone21 for this post
thomaswhs
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:03 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

bvone21 wrote:
thomaswhs wrote:
4) Does any add-ons required for the PS3 to find the WHS? Right now with the ReadyNas I just have to enable UpNp and everything is shown on the PS3. Nothing has to be transcoded, as most are already in a PS3 compatible format.

Hands down, install ps3mediaserver for this. Browsing huge lists of music or movies is much, much, much faster than when connected to another server such as windows media connect. That's the main reason I use it.

It also transcodes on the fly, which as you mentioned your not concerned about, however it is there if ever needed. I also can pull up the plot, rating, cast, movie poster, etc with the movieinfo plugin for ps3mediaserver which is a nice touch.

If the ps3 is not recognizing the server, check the firewall on your WHS. I had to allow Java through on the port the ps3mediaserver was using.

EDIT: I have tried them all...twonky, tversity, mediatomb, subsonic, etc. I always come back to ps3media server for windows, linux, and now WHS (which is new to me as well)

Thanks bvone21! You're right on about how much of a hassle it is to look for a video file through the WMC feature. Im looking into installing the PS3mediaserver. But it's kind of complicated for me. So from what I got from my searching.

I first have to DL the program from here:
http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/downloads/list
I assume I just pick the Stable version for windows and RD into my WHS and install it there.

After that, I hear about this PS3MediaServer Add in to control it from the console here:
http://www.wegotserved.com/2009/04/19/a ... r-for-whs/

But when I click on the "Download: PS3 Media Server for WHS" it is suppose to go to this link:
http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php? ... owfile=181

But it just leads me back to the fourms main page and then Im lost. LOL

Any help? Thanks!!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:42 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Well you dont realy need the add-in. What i did was rdp into the server and installee the stable version. Once you do that make sure to download the Anyservice application and make the PS3mediaserver run as a service otherwise everytime you log off rdp the program will close. Hope this helps.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:41 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

thomaswhs wrote:
Thanks bvone21! You're right on about how much of a hassle it is to look for a video file through the WMC feature. Im looking into installing the PS3mediaserver. But it's kind of complicated for me. So from what I got from my searching.

I first have to DL the program from here:
http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/downloads/list
I assume I just pick the Stable version for windows and RD into my WHS and install it there.

After that, I hear about this PS3MediaServer Add in to control it from the console here:
http://www.wegotserved.com/2009/04/19/a ... r-for-whs/

But when I click on the "Download: PS3 Media Server for WHS" it is suppose to go to this link:
http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php? ... owfile=181

But it just leads me back to the fourms main page and then Im lost. LOL

Any help? Thanks!!!!

I'm not familiar with the add-in either as I'm running the Vail beta so the add-on wouldn't work for me. I just used RDC to remote to the server and installed the ps3mediaserver app as cubanblood suggested. It'll run on start, and besides selecting share folders there's not much that's "necessary" to configure anyways, so I don't believe the add-on would really add much convenience.

The stable version works fine, you just can't use the movieinfo plugin with the stable version. Which might be just as well...since that plugin isn't being actively developed and setup is probably more confusing that it's worth.

Thanks