It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: help and advise needed
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:22 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

hi im a noob to media servers and what can be done with them any help and advise would be great

Im looking to build a media server i would like to watch my movies and listern to music and if it can be done internet tv in lounge and bedrooms would i need a very fast computer (media server) to do this

could I watch movies in all bedrooms (for the kids) and down stairs at the same time with one media server

this is all on a wired network and attached to media players (dont know which ones yet)

im using my computer and a ps3 downstairs at moment with tversity

Thanks in advance

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:28 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

The computer / server itself doesn't have to be all that powerful if it's main use is only serving files to your home network. A good wired gigabit network is very important though.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank cavediver for this post
redscratch
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 11:47 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

thanks for the help

another silly question

after installing whs on the custom built server i take it i can remove the monitor and keyboard and then leave it ?

Do i then install it again on all computers in the home?

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:00 pm 

Yes you can remove the Monitor, Keyboard and mouse from the server as Windows Home Server can be run headless. All the maintenance functions for the server can be done from other computers. Personally I like mine connected with Monitors, Keyboard and Mouse so I can work on the server without using another computer but thats me.

To fully use the other computers and have them backed up by Windows Home Server you will need to install the Client Software on each computer. Also you will need to setup user accounts for everyone you desire to give access to.

Once the server is set up then you can just leave it where it is an it will happily accomodate your needs.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
redscratch
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:25 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

thankyou for the help

Question

Quote: Also you will need to setup user accounts for everyone you desire to give access to.

is that when installing on server or client pc

thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 12:43 pm 

No you will need to setup the user accounts from the Server Console. Installing the Client software will setup the computers to be backed up, provide access to the Server Console Connector but for anyone to use that they would need the server password so do not give that out to those you do not desire to access the actual console.

When you setup the user accounts you can set their access permissions on the various shared folders on the server. This is important because maybe you want to give read only privilages and not the ability to write or send files to those folders. Or maybe you just do not want to give access to them at all. These are all personal choices and only you know best what you want individuals to do on your server.

In time this will all make more sense as your server matures and you become more familiar with it and setup additional folders for different things. Each user account will however get their own folder but you can still control what access that user has over that folder as well as what access you want to give others to the other user folders.

I suggest you just set up one additional computer for the moment and see if what I wrote makes sense and to allow you understanding on how it works. Once you have that understandign then go ahead and install the software on all the other computers in your home you wish to connect to your server.

You do not need the Client Install disc to install the software on the computers. Your server actually has the most recent copy stored on it and it is accessable to everyone via the Internet Browser. What you need to know is the name of your server and for the sake of this expample lets say your servers name was just plain old SERVER, so from your browser you would enter http://server:55000 and it will bring you to the page where the software is stored for download. If your servers name is MYSERVER then you enter http://myserver:55000

Good Luck and enjoy.....

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
redscratch
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:56 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

8) thanks for the help once again

i will have fun putting it all on :D

so could i run a software program from my server say tversity as i use this program to stream movies to my ps3 as it converts and plays mkv files :?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:57 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

redscratch wrote:
8) so could i run a software program from my server say tversity as i use this program to stream movies to my ps3 as it converts and plays mkv files :?

Yes.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank cavediver for this post
redscratch
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 5:18 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

thankyou

Thanks