It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:48 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have the basics up and running and ripping a DVD at the moment. I only have four-2TB data drives installed to see how the system performs. During the smoke test the other day, the top board in the backplane started smoking and somehow wiped out all my 9 HD's, along with about 100 Blu-rays. Thus, I am being verry cautious as I proceed.

I have two Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8's installed and something may not be quite right

1. Both boards have six ready lights "on" (1,2,3,5,6,7) and two lights "off" (0,4). The manual says the ready lights come on when a drive is present, but there are only two HD's connected to each board. The fact that both boards behave identically makes me believe the boards are OK. Could anything be wrong?

2. I installed the Disk Management Add-in and two HD's have temp data and the other two don't. This corresponds to the MV8 boards, so one of them is not passing temperature and the other is. Both boards have the same driver. The board passing temperature data is connected to a PCIEX116_1. The other board is connected to a PCIEX4_1. I am not using AHCI in this configuration. Other than not passing temperature, everything looks normal. Any idea on why this is happening?

Thanks,

Cappy1

Last edited by cappy1 on Wed May 12, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 4:45 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Probably nothing you can do. Mine are similar and work fine. I do have the occassional lock up when I insert or remove a drive while the WHS is on - looks locked up for a minute then comes back to life.

What are the drive locations? If you go into WHS Disk Management it will tell you the locations.

2:0:1:0 for example.

Anything above X:X:8:X was not picking up for me. I had four drives with temps, the rest without. I couldn't figure out how to change the drive locations and even did a reinstall of my WHS OS. The situation actually got worse; my locations are now in the teens for the most part - none below 9 for that third set.

Two or mine are: 3:0:9:0 and 4:0:21:0

I worked with Sam Wood the developer of WHS Disk Management and it is a problem with the way the Windows protocol that collects the SMART data. Disk Management will show the activity though.

I use SpeedFan to monitor my drive temps now - nice because I know which drives are the hottest (top row for me) and I can target one of them to always show the temp, even if I am not on the Disk Management page, in the system tray.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank walkabt for this post
cappy1
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 5:00 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks walkabt! You don't know how relieved I am after reading your post, given the fact this project has been such a struggle. From the moment I first turned on the system and one of the backplanes went up in smoke along with all my hard drives it has been a project from hell! But, the good news is everything is working again and I am merrily ripping away on my DVD's! :D

cappy1

Thanks