It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:04 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 1:43 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Reporting back that after getting rid of AHCI that WHS loaded properly, but I had to do it twice because the Connector wouldn't install properly on the first install.

Next, I am going to try and install the two Supermicro MV8's using device manager. I' ll probably just insert one drive for each MV8 to see if things go OK before going too far. The bloody noise makes it impossible to think with the server since it is about 1 foot away from my head. Thus, I have temporarily disconnected the backplane fans and have a desk fan blowing in thru the front of the server. This should work fine until the new 120mm fan bracket is available since I will I will only use two rows of 4HD's/row. These two rows will be separated by an empty row. Once I get my add-ins installed I will check the temps.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:07 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

A big oops! For some reason I suddenly lost the ability to connect on the LAN to my computer on my last startup. I had it all set up and working using a static IP and now when I go to Control Panel, Network Connections the only things listed are 1394 Connection and New Connection Wizard. This has happened twice and the only solution I could come up with was doing WHS Reinstall.

I am connecting (trying to) using an Intel Gigabit card I installed. It works fine when LAN shows up under Network Connections, but doing a WHS reinstall to access it is getting a bit tiring :( . I know that the Gigabyte mobo has it built-in, but elected to use an upgrade. BTW:I haven't touched the BIOS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:18 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

You don't re-install for that kind of problem. Look under device manager for a driver problem.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:38 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

There is a big yellow question mark next to “Ethernet Controller in Device Manager, but it can’t find the driver and wants to go on the Internet which it can’t do! Would this driver be on the CD that came with the Gigabyte mobo?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:49 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

cappy1 wrote:
There is a big yellow question mark next to “Ethernet Controller in Device Manager, but it can’t find the driver and wants to go on the Internet which it can’t do! Would this driver be on the CD that came with the Gigabyte mobo?

Yes, it would and you should install all the drivers for windows 2003 server. Once you get it up and running with an internet connection you should go on the gigabyte site and update all the drivers for win2003/xp.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:57 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thinking back, I did install most of the drivers on the Gigabyte CD, including a driver for the board mounted NIC. I also have installed the driver for the Intel NIC card. There is the problem. I did some more checking and I can get on the Internet via the Gigabyte on board NIC, but not on the Intel card I installed.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:37 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

just hook it up to the motherboard nic until you find the right drivers for the intel nic. I forgot you installed an additional nic, but you should have gotten a disk for it and installed the windows 2003/xp driver. If there is a yellow ! on it there is a problem with the driver you installed. It won't hurt anything if you run off the motherboard nic until you get the correct drivers installed. Once you do that then you can swap the cat 5 to the nic you want and reboot.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:23 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

You can get the most recent drivers for the Intel CT NIC from Intel's support & downloads website. I agree with erail. You should use the onboard nic until you get the machine up and running, then install the Intel CT NIC and drivers. If your internet access stops working again, then your Intel CT card might be defective. You should take it slow. Get WHS OS working stable with the onboard stuff and just the system drive first. Then add new stuff one thing at a time. That way, if something goes wrong, you know what you did and can more easily determine the problem.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank cavediver for this post
cappy1
PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:16 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Everything has been working properly for the past several days and I have been ripping away without a single glitch. Per your advice on this thread, I am using the mobo Realtec NIC. However, since I have the Intel Gigabit CT NIC sitting around I am wondering if I should try installing it again?

As I reported the other day, I was having some sort of conflict when both the Realtec and Intel NIC’s were installed at the same time. However, I never turned off the Realtec in BIOS, so maybe that was the problem? Do you think I am asking for problems if I remove the Realtec in BIOS, install the Intel card and load the driver from the CD that came with it? Anything else I need to watch for?

BTW: The power and activity lights don’t show through on several of the Norco HDD trays. I thought the backplane needed adjusting, but it seems to be the trays. I simply changed trays on two HD positions and the lights came on. The trays all look the same to me, so I am really puzzled by this.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 3:35 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

You should be able to run both the onboard nic and the added card once you get the correct driver. My new 4220 server got it's first turn on yesterday with the 120mm fan board in place. Talk about quite! Now I just need to replace the 2 rear fans as those are all I'm hearing now.

Good luck!

Thanks