It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:37 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

DaveBey wrote:
I just wanted to follow up... I placed an order with Newegg for an HP MediaSmart EX485. Once it arrives and I have some time to figure it out, I can place a separate order for additional hard disk drives. I'm also thinking about upgrading the processor to an Intel Celeron E3300 Dual-Core Processor since I hope to create a DVD library and provide streaming to my Xbox 360.

Thank you again for the advice! 8)

Cheers from Claremore, OK! :)
Dave

I order a Q9550S. I saw in other posts people installed this CPUs in the MSS. I guess we will se how it goes. I had a intel Celeron and i can tell you they are not good enough for a server ( in my opinion). It might work for you. I notice they tend to run a lot slower than the actual speed.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:05 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

cubanblood wrote:
I dont concider having 21 HDD connected a limitation. I dont know if is going to handle them well but two 8 bay usb enclosures from SanDigital plus 4 internal and 1 esata is a lot.

Can you link to one of these monsters? Needing a good 4 or 8 bay USB enclosure....

(Sorry everyone, shortly, I'll retreat out of the DIY forum and go to the lowly 485/487 or general forums.... but rest assured.... I'll be back!) \:D/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:28 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Funksultan wrote:
cubanblood wrote:
I dont concider having 21 HDD connected a limitation. I dont know if is going to handle them well but two 8 bay usb enclosures from SanDigital plus 4 internal and 1 esata is a lot.

Can you link to one of these monsters? Needing a good 4 or 8 bay USB enclosure....

Here a link from newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... -_-Product

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank cubanblood for this post
Funksultan
PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:10 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

@cubinblood, you'd be surprised how easily they get filled up. I'm already at 11TB full. I music, music videos, movies, pictures and applications on my server. I got my server for christmas '09 and it took me a month and a half to organize and transfer all my media from my other computers to my server. When it was it was all said and done, I had almost 6 TB's of stuff on it just from my other computers alone, it was 5.7 or 5.8, I forget, then the rest of the items came from downloading movies and music. It's April 1st and in a little over a month and a half I got 5TB's of stuff. I only have 18 so I'm going to be purchasing a 8 bay usb Sans Digital enclosure.

Also, the Q9550S works like a charm, it was a huge improvement over the stock processor. I also upgraded my memory to 4gb and it helped out when I have mutiple task running simultaneously.

8TB HDD (4 x 2TB Hitachi Deskstar's)
4GB Memory (Kingston KVR800D2N6/4G)
Sans Digital Towerraid TR5UT eSata
10TB HDD (5 x 2TB Hitachi Deskstar's)

Thanks