It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:45 am 

Hi guys,

What I wish to build is a WHS Storgae / Fileserver for Media Streaming & Backup of 6 other machines. My idea with the DIY WHS is to support:

- Store and stream all my media, in particular HD content - possible TV depending on Vail
- Backup client pcs (3 desktop PCs, 3 laptops)
- Remote access etc...

I have a new Lian Li 343B case, although I thought about a Norco RPC4020 they are too hard to come by in Denmark.

So here I go ... so to open up the questions for the 'experts' advice:

Motherboard - No idea - I guess I need plenty of PCI slots ???

Processor - No idea - need advice ???

Drive Bays - I have been looking at 6 x IB-555SSK (http://www.raidsonic.de/de/data/data_pd ... _553_e.pdf) that can be SAS or SATA - therefore I need to be able to handle 30 drives in the end, although in the beginning I will just run 2 units with 10 drives.

PSU - No idea but I can see that each drive bay IB-555SSK needs 2 or 3 molex - so I would need to be able to run 18 molex connectors somehow ...

Controller card - now I am lost in the SAS / SATA maze - I guess it is easier to support these drive through SAS? I can't find any good advice on how to support all of these drives from the outset or piecemeal over time as I add new IB-555SSK's also should I consider some RAID functionality for redundancy? This stuff probably confuses me the most as I am more used to a motherbaord with SATA or the old IDE controllers.

RAM - I guess 4GB is enough for a WHS?

VIDEO - I guess this is not really needed or is low prioirty - is this still the case for streaming?

I have built quite a few PC over my time so I am not technically incompetent, but this will be my first Server so I am looking for help and direction :)

TIA for any advice

thanks

Alistair

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:26 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

awilson wrote:
So here I go ... so to open up the questions for the 'experts' advice:
Motherboard - No idea - I guess I need plenty of PCI slots ???
Processor - No idea - need advice ???

You can't go wrong with a Supermicro MB and a low power Xeon or Core i3 or i5 processor. The Supermicro server mobos are designed for servers and have plenty of PCIe slots for expansion cards.
Quote:
Drive Bays - I have been looking at 6 x IB-555SSK (http://www.raidsonic.de/de/data/data_pd ... _553_e.pdf) that can be SAS or SATA - therefore I need to be able to handle 30 drives in the end, although in the beginning I will just run 2 units with 10 drives.

I don't know for sure about those drive bay boxes, but they look exactly like the xClio drive boxes. I just used one of the xClio 4 bay boxes in my new PC and it so far appears to work great.
Quote:
PSU - No idea but I can see that each drive bay IB-555SSK needs 2 or 3 molex - so I would need to be able to run 18 molex connectors somehow ...

You should go with a good modular psu like a Corsair 750 or 850 watt, or any other good modular PSU that has plenty of power connections.
Quote:
Controller card - now I am lost in the SAS / SATA maze - I guess it is easier to support these drive through SAS? I can't find any good advice on how to support all of these drives from the outset or piecemeal over time as I add new IB-555SSK's also should I consider some RAID functionality for redundancy? This stuff probably confuses me the most as I am more used to a motherbaord with SATA or the old IDE controllers.

Supermicro SASLP if you go SAS or SAT2 if you go SATA. 8 ports per card. Great cards at a great price.
Quote:
RAM - I guess 4GB is enough for a WHS?

Correct
Quote:
VIDEO - I guess this is not really needed or is low prioirty - is this still the case for streaming?

If you go with a Supermicro MB, get one with onboard video. Same if you go with any other mfg's mobo; get one with onboard video. That way you don't have to buy a stand alone video card. The onboard vide is more than enough for the limited monitor use for a WHS machine.
Quote:
I have built quite a few PC over my time so I am not technically incompetent, but this will be my first Server so I am looking for help and direction :)

Not really much different than building any other PC except that the selection of components should be more geared toward server usage rathen than performance PC usage.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank cavediver for this post
awilson
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 5:59 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

I considered this case it just got too pricey too fast.
But since you already have it, shouldn't be an issue.
I would love to see how this turns out.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:27 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I had actually considered this case also, but did not have enough room under my desk to accommodate it, & opted for the Norco 4220 instead

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:05 pm 

You can buy the Norco from http://www.xcase.co.uk/X-Case-RM-420-Hotswap-4u-p/case-rm420.htm. Costs 382 Euros. I sent them a message to label it as a test cabinett £20 and did not pay any taxes here in Norway.

Win 7/64 Xtreamer Ultra HTPC
Norco 4220, Q6600 16 TB
D-Link 655, Level One 8 port gigaswitch, Cat 7A cables

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:51 am 

Thanks for your help ...

To make things go a little faster and cheaper I have a Intel Q6600 system with 8GB DDR2 (which is my main machine) that I will probably replace with a Core i7 920 and a new MB.

If I were to get a Asus P5Q Deluxe / P5Q Premium or P5Q-e which has 3 / 4 PCIe x16 slots secondhand I could support three Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 PCIe x4 eventually and have 8 SATA's running from the mainboard which would allow the 30 bays - I would then be able to reuse my 8GB DDR2 Ram and Q6600 as the server and buy a cheap PCI graphics card for the server. I would still need a PSU and to start buying Drive Bays but this setup would be expandable as it support all the items that I could eventually have on the server.

Do this sound realistic, overkill, underkill?

So my setup would be:

Case: Lian Li P343-B (own)

Motherboard - Asus P5Q Deluxe / P5Q Premium or P5Q-E

Processor - Intel Q6600 2.6ghz (own)

Drive Bays - 6 x IB-555SSK (http://www.raidsonic.de/de/data/data_pd ... _553_e.pdf)

PSU - Corsair 850W

Controller cards - 3 x Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

RAM - 8GB DDR2 PC6400 (own)

VIDEO - Cheap PCI Video Card (own)

TIA

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:53 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

That will make a fine system.
You won't be able to use all that ram right now but when vail comes it will be very nice to have.

Thanks