It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:18 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I am not used to these Rack servers but maybe one of you GuRu's might know which you would go with.
Proliant DL585 G2 or DL580 G4 both have (2) processors one (2) Xeon, the other (2) AMD Opteron
I have access to either of these servers at a VERY reasonable cost with, within reason memory installed.

Which if either will work with my WHS software?
Will both work with SATA drives? It appears both are SAS or SATA as I understand.
These maybe overkill for Video/Data/Audio on a homeserver but I am hoping I can with some help, get one of these
working and expansion, drive wise, and Memory wise will be put to rest for a while.
With the bays available, additional storage
seems should never become an issue.
I would like some input Pro's and Con's

Thanks
Vette

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:20 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

I personally prefer Intel CPU's so the DL580 is the way I would go, it will also supports upto 4 cpu's.
It will make a HELL of a lot of noise.
I like the way ram and CPU's are accesable from the front in the drawer like boards.
There isnt a ton of drive slots though so you will need to do something external like a controller with Mini-sas I think sff-8088 ports to an enclosure using a sas expender.

I also hope you own stock in your power company.

I think you may want to look closely unless they were special ordered to support SAS they both would be SCSI.
I think you could pull the SCSI backplan out but then you would need to do some creative cabling.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Chasrobin for this post
Fastervette
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:05 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Chasrobin wrote:
It will make a HELL of a lot of noise.

Chasrobin, this isn't a factor as server, and cooling equipment is in a area that we (family) doesn't ever unless asked go to.

Chasrobin wrote:
also hope you own stock in your power company.

What do you suppose the cost is 24/7 for either of these servers? I have just finished doing away with 5 desktops and now use laptops for the all Family. Only 1 Linux desktop system left.
Electric is one of those facts of life and luckily we are in an area where power is only 0.06211 cents a kilowatt.
Well you know 20.00 or 30.00 a month is one thing 100.00 is a whole different story :mrgreen: Already have AC in this equipment closet solely for the purpose of keeping all the servers, routers and Voip equipment cool.

Chasrobin wrote:
think you may want to look closely unless they were special ordered to support SAS they both would be SCSI.
I think you could pull the SCSI backplan out but then you would need to do some creative cabling.

This is an item I am talking to them about. I have let him know SATA is a must. I am hoping I will still be able to do an external eSata for more storage later. But as stated I do not know what is able to be done with these Machines. Why I am asking knowlegeable people in the server business, such as yourself

Do you feel WHS will work with either of these units? The 585 or 520?
There is also most any of the DL series units I might use most are from the 2003 to 2007 time period, also some, eServers, IBM P5 System 9111-520.
Maybe one of other DL units or these others would fit the bill better in your opinion.

Thanks for your input and please continue to post your input.
This is a project WAY from usual Personal PC I generally work with.

Thanks, Thanks and MORE THANKS
Vette

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:12 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

either of these are 100times over kill, so certainly they will work.
WHS is built on 2003 which these systems were designed to work with.

You won't go wrong either way, they both will handle PCI or PCI-x controllers just make sure they have external ports.
I'm glad to hear of the AC they will be heaters.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:20 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

As for your question of Which system will better fit your bill.
You should list all of your goals compare each possible system against those goals and your system will likely present itself.
Be very detailed, the more specific the better the outcome and the fewer the suprises.

this list might look like
1. power consumption
2. cpu speed
3. hard drive expandability
4. Reliability (some brands are just know for longevity)
5. commonality (how many people use it where can you turn to for help)
6. Flexability (when presented with a challenge how difficult will it be to change it)

Oh BTW do add up the total cost of revitalizing an old server vs building a new box, sometimes their isn't much of a difference.
Brand name server parts tend to be very pricey.

Thanks