It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Lilbisqit
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:16 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

This whole raid issue is turning out to be a nightmare. I just cringe whenever I reboot the system. ](*,) Adaptec released a new controller software yesterday & I was hoping this would give me some relief, but I am am having no such luck. I finally decided to configure the Adaptec controller for JBOD. This works but I don't like it, I will just have to live with it for now. I will now have to get rid the 12 2T WD20EADS drives since I can not get them to do Raid 6 using the Adaptec controller. There are users out there who have it working but I am just not having the best luck with it. 2T WD20EADS drives.... anyone \:D/ ??

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:30 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Since I am running out of room I have decided to stick with JBOD, though reluctantly. I have started copying files over from my HP EX-495 to Lilibisqit.

Attachments:
Lil1.JPG
Lil1.JPG [ 131.31 KiB | Viewed 13111 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:06 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

My brother has offered to buy 6 of my WD20EADS drives for his own Mass storage build. The rest will be on flebay shortly. I will be replacing these drives with Hitachi drives

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:13 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I decided to test Vail on my build & run into several problems
1) Minimum space required is 160Gig, while my SSD is 128Gig
2) I could not figure out why the system could not see my JBOD drives on the Adaptec Raid Controller that had 12 2T drives. One good thing was that at least Vail recognized the Adaptec 52445 Raid controller. But the odd thing is that all the drives for some reason were showing to have 0gig which was very odd. I thought I made a mistake during the install & decided to do another installation with the same results.
As of yesterday I had made up my mind & was going to rule out Vail. Today I came a cross the thread showing that Vail has a 10 drive limitation, so this evening I will break the JBOD & even try Raid 6 with fewer drives & see how that works.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:13 pm 
Founder
Founder

I do not believe there is a hard coded 10 drive limit, rather that's Microsoft's guidance as they have seen issues with more than 10 drives.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:41 pm 

ladino,

I would not attempt to run VAIL with my primary server. At the very least I would recommend you test it with a different set of drives something you can easily change out and reconfigure so you can boot VAIL or reconfigure and put your server back online the way it was. This would atleast afford you the oppertunity to play with VAIL without risking data loss on your server.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:38 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Comp1962,

LilBisqit is not my primary server just yet. I have been having issues with hard drives going in & out of the raid array. The WD drives have a problem working with Adaptec Raid controllers. WD's workaround was for me to 'buy' enterprise class drives if I want to do raid..... at twice the price of the WD20EADS drives. :rofl: Essentially at the moment I am still in the testing phase until I can get the Raid6 stable on the server. In the meantime was just out out Vail

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:50 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I am still tying to offload my WD20EADS drives, since I did not have too much luck getting Raid to work. Today I took delivery of 9 Hitachi 7K2000 hard drives, bringing my total drive count to 15. The new drives are all JKAOA28A with the 28A firmware & no DOA so far. The new drives seem to respond faster than my original 6 Hitachi drives that have JKAOA20N with 20N firmware. I am doing a fresh install of WHS as we speak. 14 drives are in RAID 6 configuration with 1 hot-spare drive.
The Adaptec controller has been updated to the latest BIOS version, 5.2.0 Build 17899 & so has the Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard to 1003.

Attachments:
File comment: 9 New Hitachi 7K2000 drives. All are dated Feb 2010 & have firmware 28A.
9 Hitachi.jpg
9 Hitachi.jpg [ 1.14 MiB | Viewed 13042 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:19 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I have been having the worst luck trying to get NFS working. I have SMB works but will stutter once in a while while watching certain blue-rays. I have followed Damian instructions with no luck
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/12 ... fs-in-whs/
My A-110 & the A-200 will lock up when I can browse the nfs folder.

I have also tried haneWIN nfs & Allegro, but have the following symptoms. The Aeon movie wall shows up but browsing thru the screens is slow & painful & the movies will stutter terribly & are barely watchable. Any pointers would really be appreciated at this point

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:33 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

ladino wrote:
I have been having the worst luck trying to get NFS working. I have SMB works but will stutter once in a while while watching certain blue-rays. I have followed Damian instructions with no luck
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/12 ... fs-in-whs/
My A-110 & the A-200 will lock up when I can browse the nfs folder.

I have also tried haneWIN nfs & Allegro, but have the following symptoms. The Aeon movie wall shows up but browsing thru the screens is slow & painful & the movies will stutter terribly & are barely watchable. Any pointers would really be appreciated at this point

NFS is not the best streaming protocol. HTTP is the best. SMB is 2nd and NFS is last. If you're using popcorn hours, you should try myiHome. It's easy to install and works great with WHS. Once it's installed on your WHS, it just automatically shows up on the PCH ready to stream via http.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:24 am 

I have the 51245 card and some Samsung F3 2TB drives and they're dropping out of RAID as well. I'm going to try ES-TOOLS to knock the speed down from SATA 3G to 1.5 as I hear that's a workaround.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:48 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

cavediver wrote:
NFS is not the best streaming protocol. HTTP is the best. SMB is 2nd and NFS is last. If you're using popcorn hours, you should try myiHome. It's easy to install and works great with WHS. Once it's installed on your WHS, it just automatically shows up on the PCH ready to stream via http.

I agree that http is best, but I have been using SMB without any issues for over a year. I have ripped and played over 160 Blu-rays so far without a hitch, starting with an Acer H340 and later moving to a WHS DIY Norco 2220. Early on, however, I did have a problem with stuttering, but when I changed from a Linksys to a Netgear GB switch it worked perfectly from then on.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:36 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

PnoT wrote:
I have the 51245 card and some Samsung F3 2TB drives and they're dropping out of RAID as well. I'm going to try ES-TOOLS to knock the speed down from SATA 3G to 1.5 as I hear that's a workaround.

I guess I will add Samsung F3 to my list of not to buy drives. I also hope dropping your ATA speed will be able to resolve your problem. Coz I did not have too much luck with mine.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:47 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

cappy1 wrote:
I agree that http is best, but I have been using SMB without any issues for over a year. I have ripped and played over 160 Blu-rays so far without a hitch, starting with an Acer H340 and later moving to a WHS DIY Norco 2220. Early on, however, I did have a problem with stuttering, but when I changed from a Linksys to a Netgear GB switch it worked perfectly from then on.

I am sticking with SMB & cleaned up my configuration on my Cisco 3650 switch. I have now ended up hard-coding port speed & duplex

!
interface GigabitEthernet0/12
description Audio Video Center
switchport access vlan 10
switchport mode access
switchport nonegotiate
speed 100
duplex full
!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:40 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Ladino, just a bit of feedback and experience.
I too like having nice networking gear like your 3650, the problem I ran into was during playback of Blue rays across the network 100mbs would induce stuttering occassionally it was really dependent on how much info was being displayed and how many sessions were running accross the port.
Smooth playback atleast for me seems to require gigglebit speeds.

What I ended up doing was running all of my HTPC's and the server to a gigabit switch, then putting my slower firewall between the internet and that switch.
Of course I am still in the process of collecting my gear, slow going as its pricey.

Currently I use a Cisco WRSV440n with a ipsec VPN to my brothers house also using a WRVS4400n
feeding a 24port netgear pro unmanaged switch.
We have security cameras at both sites going back to my whs serving as the server using "Blue Iris" software.
Synctoy works great over the VPN as does shadow copy.

Eventually I will have an
ASA5505 on the wan port (I want the SSL/Anyconnect VPN), feeding back to an Extreme 400-24T switch(Full routing etc...), WHS feeding in to that with teamed nics(Currently teamed into the Cisco).
I already have an Avocent ip/kvm and APC remote PDU for remote control, I simply use PAT to make their web interfaces available outside.

I setup a free account with DynDNS to get a free domain, then bought my domain name at godaddy.
Then in their DNS I forward my private domain name request to the DynDNS name and boddabing I have what looks like a private website that did not cost much and has very little re-occurring cost.
And godaddy host my mail for me so I get my whs alerts and security cam stuff on my iphone.
I can even hit my slingbox.
A must have for those of us with a DHCP ip address from our ISP.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next