It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:35 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Re: Lilbisqit
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:35 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

When I hard coded the speed & duplex the Popcorn pagination & movie viewing is very stable. I do get stuttering maybe once in 5 or so movies. But this is irrespective of whether the movie is a BD or DVD. So I am still investigating

I previously owned Netgear & ZyXel devices, I switched to all Cisco equipment ranging from the 3560G switch, 2851 router, 1250 Access Point, ASA5505, 7970 IP phones & a wireless 7921 phone. I am yet to connect the ASA, since the router is doing everything I need, voice, firewall, routing, VPN, DMVPN & QoS. The only thing that I have not gotten to work right, is DDNS. All my brothers own nothing but Cisco gear also & it does help since we all work in this arena too.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:21 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

AARRGGGHHH ya dirty dog, I've been hunting for a reasonable ASA5505 for awhile now.
If you have ver8.0+ of the software and the Sec + lic you can do SSL VPN logins super sweet.
Then if you have an avocent or belkin F1DE101G or similar you can remote kick start your system.
I do a little PAT right now to my belkin/avocent setup.
But I use an Extreme 400-48T L3 switch, it allows me to do teaming/trunking at giglebit speeds.
I love all the techi toys, im sure you do too.
I envy that ASA, good job.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:19 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Ladino, I couldn't help myself I had to pick up an ASA5505.
I'm familiar and use an ASA5510 at work so I've been drewling for awhile.
My cheap Linksys is acting weird so it was time.

I was curious how you have yours configured.
Do you use it for your internet gateway/firewall/DHCP, and let your other switch act as your segment gateway?
Or do you have it acting as your primary gateway, and have all the traffic going back to the ASA?

Also have you had any issue's bumping into the 10 concurrent connection limitation?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:35 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Chasrobin,
My ASA is not in production to 2 reasons. I use Viatalk as my phone provider & have yet to configure this Sip provider to work thru the ASA. I also currently have a DMVPN tunnel(s) setup with other family members across the world & only a router will do DMVPN, & not the ASA.

I am trying to setup a server to do daily config backups of the Cisco devices, Radius authentication, syslog & bandwidth monitoring. Once this is done, I will then focus my attention on the intergration of the ASA into the network. I still have v7.X on the ASA, will load v8.3 later today(s

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:40 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Yep, I ran into a few challenges but I have it now handling my internet routing ok, as well as my unique DHCP.
I have a really nice switch which I want to be my main router.
So I tweaked the DHCP to use the routers ip as the default gateway.
Then on the router I setup a default vlan and made the ASA it default route.
So it's behavior is that all of my hosts use the switch as their default gateway, but if the switch doesn't have a route for the destination it dumps to the ASA.
It keeps my non gigabit traffic to a minimum as well as limiting my concurrent use licenses.

I still have to get my SSL VPN up and running, Static ip getting setup tomorrow for that and no Data Caps. (got the Business class connection 12mb down / 2mb up)
Then I have two IPSEC VPNs to setup with family networks as well.

I just did the 8.3 upgrade myself a bit of fun there, I suggest backing up the old ios and removing it, if you have to do a config reset it will reload the old version and break your ASDM.

Love the new look.
Attachment:
ASA5505.jpg
ASA5505.jpg [ 279.59 KiB | Viewed 8720 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:31 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

The ASDM will handle 90% of you configuration, there are some commands that you will have to drop down to CLI to enable or disbale

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:34 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Chasrobin, I too have been dealing the the occasional stuttering & once in an while an actual freeze. I did a bios update & NIC driver update about a month ago, to no avail.

I also found out the port connecting between the Cisco 3560G & the DLink DGS 8 port gig switch would go into error disabled & the port would recover after a shut/no shut command on the Cisco. I have since replaced the the Dlink switch with an 8 port Cisco WS-C3560-8PC-S switch. This has not resolved the occasional stuttering. Now, I also have PRTG & Solarwinds running on another server to performance on the switch ports.

I was leaning towards the hard-drives being the problem but I will follow your lead & start addressing the software on the server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 3:18 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

I actually have fixed my stuttering/freezing issue.
For me it turned out to be a buggard Add-in.
I uninstalled all of them except MyMovies did the windows update.
And everything works fine now.

Also make sure you system swap file didn't switch to manual mode.
Mine somehow got locked at half the swap space it needed which slowed everything down.

But ultimately it was the add-ons which was weird it was mimicking a bad network issue.
But I had replaced everything, Nic's, switches, wires, router etc.....
Nothing made an imporvement until I un-installed the add-ons.
then it was immediate and dramatic.

As for the ASA, Ive got everything working with a few minor bugs left to work out.
I have to still work out a point to point VPN where the other end uses DDNS, so I have a hostname but not a fixed IP.
The VPN wizard wants an IP, I know it can be done I just need to find the command for it.
And My SSL Clientless VPN works but I have an issue with my anyconnect client not working it won't connect. I think it's an exemption issue.

Thanks