It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:47 am 

First let me start by saying GREAT SITE!! I have been toying with the idea of building a server for a while and as I continue to grow, it's now more of a necessity. Any advice and or comments regarding my proposed build will be helpful.

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred
Mobo: Asus m2n-??? (don't remember off hand)
CPU: AMD 5000+
PSU: 850 Watt (don't remember manu)
Memory: 4 Gig, DDR2 800
Sata Cont. Card(s): SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8 8-port
HDD Cages: Athena Power BP-TL3051SAC (while I would love to go for 4 from the get-go, I will probably only start out with 2)

Currently, I'm running my HTPC with several larger internal drives and 2 4bay USB Enclosures (Venus) for a combined total of about 8+TB. I would keep it connected (hard) to my HTPC so noise is a factor. I am a complete newbie in this endevor but...very eager and somewhat of a "tech geek". It just wouldn't sit right with me going for something like an MSS (although they seem great), but that's just me.

Questions: With regards to WHS, since I wouldn't be running a raid config, how much space would need to be allocated for redundantcy? If I build the system with what I have, how easy/difficult is it to add drives/data once the system is up and running (told ya I was a newbie)? My router is in my office (upstairs) and my HTPC in my living room connected wirelessly. Since I primarily watch Blu-Ray, HD-DVD and High Def material (in general), I thought it would be best to keep the unit connected to my HTPC. I don't think streaming HD content wirelessly would be an option. So, I welcome any questions/comment and/or advice.

Thanks,
g

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:40 am 

Another question. Since I would like to start off (fairly) small (cost is a concern atm), could I just do everything in the case for the time being?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:04 am 

guile ~ welcome to the forums!

Your question is:

With regards to WHS, since I wouldn't be running a raid config, how much space would need to be allocated for redundantcy?

The Answer is:

It depends on obviously how much data you move to the server then simply double it. If and when you need more you just add more drives. WHS can support up to 32 drives which if all were 2 TB gives you a cool 64 TB. So it comes down to what you have now and what you add in future.

I notice your using wireless. The first thing I want to tell you is that your server should be hard wired. As for streaming content over wireless there are some discussions about this in the forums regarding reliablilty issues. I did not look at your motherboard but make sure you will have a GIGABIT Network Port to help with speed and that your router also has a GIGABIT Port otherwise your new server will be communicating at the slower speed on your network and speed is everything.

Your last question is wanting to start off small using what you have first. The answer to that is yes you can and yes you can grow your server over time and the Antec Twelvehundred will provide you ample room to install hard drives with the right Backplane cages. After you fill them up your case you can add more drives externally with eSATA or USB Enclosures with eSATA being the preferred because its faster and provides better access to the smart data on your hard drive.

Good Luck with your build!

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Comp1962 for this post
guile
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:41 am 

Thank you for that info. I'll have to check out my mb to see the speed of the network port. Honestly, while WHS seems like a very easy to use and intuitive system, the data protection scheme (duplication) is NOT an option. I'm not going to double the amount of drives/space I have for data redundantcy, it just kind of crazy imo. I might consider running uNraid or Flexraid within WHS. I plan on doing a lot of research before I make a decision though.

As for the server, it will be hard wired to my main htpc. I will only be streaming music from other pc's, no movies.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:55 am 

To set your data for duplication or not is in the end your personal choice. Everything on my server is set for duplicaiton even though I have hard copies of everything.

I just finish copying my entire movie collection accept for some 27 discs which is another story. It took me months to get them copied to my server and so duplication is my insurance policy. Even when I copied my music collection it took a lot of time.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:34 pm 

Comp1962 wrote:
To set your data for duplication or not is in the end your personal choice.

Well, for me, I would like to NOT have to worry about backing up terrabytes of movies so protection is important. On the other hand, complete "Duplication" via WHS is just not realistic. I understand you can (sort of) pick and choose what you want to duplicate. I guess I still have quite a bit of research to do.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:21 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

For a good start on your research I recommend the MS WHS Technical Library at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd347480%28WS.10%29.aspx, specifically under the Technical Briefs at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd309758(WS.10).aspx.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks