It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:10 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

I know this the DIY server forum but some of you folks, Damian and others, also build HTPCs. As my first build, I want to use windows7 64 on a headless pc. My question is will it boot in headless mode? Is this merely a question of a BIOS setting?

TIA
John M

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 8:44 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I don't see why not, but you will have to have some type of video card in there, just as the HP EX490/495 do have a video card. You would have to set the BIOS to ignor missing keyboard/mouse errors as well. Why would you want to run it headless, if it's for a HTPC, it will be connected to some type of display, no?

P.S. You can run Windows 7 in a "virtual PC" as well.

Mitch

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank mitch672 for this post
JMarshall
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:39 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

mitch672 wrote:
I don't see why not, but you will have to have some type of video card in there, just as the HP EX490/495 do have a video card. You would have to set the BIOS to ignor missing keyboard/mouse errors as well. Why would you want to run it headless, if it's for a HTPC, it will be connected to some type of display, no?

P.S. You can run Windows 7 in a "virtual PC" as well.

Mitch

Thanks Mitch. First, I should say that this pc will not be doing any HTPC duties yet. It will be used to serve my Logitech network music players for now. At some point in the future it will move to a home theater function. Second, I'll be using an Intel Core i5 processor on an Intel mobo H55, so no video card is necessary. Am I correct in thinking that it satisfies that same (video card) requirement?
Third, I have not yet studied the concept of "virtual pc", should I?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:49 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Should be fine. Just be sure to set up the BIOS to avoid that initial prompt. Otherwise you will need a keyboard!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank JohnBick for this post
JMarshall
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:32 pm 

I've been playing with the Clarkdale i3-530 and i5-650 on H55 boards. Right now the i3-530 is running 2008 R2 and the other is running Win 7 Ultimate. After initial setup I've been running them headless ever since using RDC to connect (with monitors on standby if I really needed). No reason why you wouldn't be able to.

I can check my H55TC but on the Gigabyte board you can lower the GPU clock and voltage. If I were you I would still run it at say 550mhz but drop the voltage a bit. I've tried a .15v undervolt thus far on the GPU and didn't have any issues staying at 733MHz. That being said, power consumption stayed the same.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:53 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
Should be fine. Just be sure to set up the BIOS to avoid that initial prompt. Otherwise you will need a keyboard!

I just wanted to update the post to say that yes, W7 can run headless, and w/o keyboard or mouse. I was pleased that no BIOS changes were required. I used an Intel DH55TC mobo with an Intel Core i5 processor.

Thanks