It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: Mobo compatability.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:12 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

For a DIY WHS build, how does one determine if the mobo is compatible with whs?
Are there any other hardware issues/restrictions with WHS?
TIA,
John M

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: Mobo compatability.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:12 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

You can check if the Mobo company has drivers for Windows 2003 server for that board, if it doesn't then it's a pain to work around the lack of drivers issues. It can be done but generally it is not trivial.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:39 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

In essence, WHS is just Windows Server 2003 with some special software added in. Anything 2003 runs on should handle WHS fine.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 6:48 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks for the replies. I looked at both the Gigabyte and Asus web sites. I found the info to be confusing. In one case it appears that every mobo is XP only? The other site just has a confusing list that indicates something to the affect window certified or windows compatible?
If it is true that WHS is commonly used with older machines one might conclude that the mobo is never an issue.
I guess I will continue this search.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 7:16 am 

JMarshall wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I looked at both the Gigabyte and Asus web sites. I found the info to be confusing. In one case it appears that every mobo is XP only? The other site just has a confusing list that indicates something to the affect window certified or windows compatible?
If it is true that WHS is commonly used with older machines one might conclude that the mobo is never an issue.

What do you have in mind? Have you decided what case, how large you want to go, etc...? Both Cavediver and myself went with the gigabyte mobos (I think he did the 790 and I did the 785)

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:41 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
JMarshall wrote:

What do you have in mind? Have you decided what case, how large you want to go, etc...? Both Cavediver and myself went with the gigabyte mobos (I think he did the 790 and I did the 785)

Hello Damian, I have read all about your build (great inspiration).
First of all, I should say this is / will be my first build. It will be a sever for backups of course, but there is only one client laptop p.c.. One of the main reasons for this build is this: I have been ripping CDs and downloading 24 bit 96kHz Flac music files, so I need a server with the capacity to hold the music files, and to host the Logitech SqueezeServer software. The LX195 does this just fine. BUT I want to be able to run a Digital Room Correction software called Inguz. It will require no less than a 2.5 gHz cpu. The other reason for building one is for a hobby. It should be future proof (buzz word I know) and flexible. So I was thinking: 775 Intel socket, E8400 cpu, Lian Li desktop case ATX or micro ATX.
I have selected two possible mobos.
•GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
•ASUS P5E3 PRO LGA 775 Intel X48 ATX Intel Motherboard
I like to learn new things and try new things. I built a kit car a few years ago and I guess I get bored. Need new hobby.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:59 pm 

JMarshall wrote:
First of all, I should say this is / will be my first build. It will be a sever for backups of course, but there is only one client laptop p.c.. One of the main reasons for this build is this: I have been ripping CDs and downloading 24 bit 96kHz Flac music files, so I need a server with the capacity to hold the music files, and to host the Logitech SqueezeServer software. The LX195 does this just fine. BUT I want to be able to run a Digital Room Correction software called Inguz. It will require no less than a 2.5 gHz cpu. The other reason for building one is for a hobby. It should be future proof (buzz word I know) and flexible. So I was thinking: 775 Intel socket, E8400 cpu, Lian Li desktop case ATX or micro ATX.
I like to learn new things and try new things. I built a kit car a few years ago and I guess I get bored. Need new hobby.

Be very careful, once you start building it is hard to stop!!! Thanks for sharing your specs. Make sure to post your full build when ready, and of course don't hestitate to ask any of the guys here if you have any questions. :whs:

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:59 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
JMarshall wrote:

Be very careful, once you start building it is hard to stop!!! Thanks for sharing your specs. Make sure to post your full build when ready, and of course don't hestitate to ask any of the guys here if you have any questions. :whs:

:rofl:
I had to laugh. Money is not an issue. As I said it's just for a hobby. When I built a Cobra kit car, the build budget that I told my wife went out the window soon after the project started.
Recently, I have been thinking of keeping the LX195 for laptop backup and using the purpose built p.c. for serving music, say staying with XP, headless and using wol on it to save energy costs. But I would rather have a WHS machine with enhanced capabilities. I ask all these questions for learning purposes.
Thanks for the reply.
John

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:22 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

JMarshall wrote:

I just competed a WHS build with a GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX mobo. Here's a link to my thread:
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=6517
Other than a few hiccups loading SATA controller drivers, the Gigabyte board has performed flawlessly so far.

2 GB RAM
19.25 TB Storage

Thanks