It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: SATA Cards
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:32 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

OK, quick question. I am looking at the following SATA Controller card: SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8 64-bit PCI-X133MHz SATA Controller Card, and was wondering... what happens in WHS if the card dies?

I guess I am worried about how I can be sure my data stays safe if the card kicks the bucket. Can I just buy a new card? What happens if I cant find the same model card? What about the HDDs on the new card? Do they have to be plugged back in to the same ports? Same order? How are they identified in the system? I just want to be sure that a $99 card is the single point of failure in a $4k server (after filling it up with HDDs)...

I know many of you are using similar cards, similar set-ups and hopefully have the answers to my questions!

Thanks!

13 TB, mixed drives
400+ DVDs and 80 BD ripped using MakeMKV

~My beautiful wife is always asking me if I love my computers more than her...I don't understand it!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: SATA Cards
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:43 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have been using the AOC-SAT2-MV8 cards for a couple of years. They are Supermicro cards, they don't fail. Seriously, though they are just another sata port, doesn't matter where it comes from as long as you have enough sata ports to handle the drives you have installed. However, my system drive is always using a motherboard port and is not on the cards. That is just how I set them up. The order is not important on the data drives, if they are there the system will find them.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank erail for this post
NJPhillips
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:47 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

NJPhillips wrote:
OK, quick question. I am looking at the following SATA Controller card: SUPERMICRO AOC-SAT2-MV8 64-bit PCI-X133MHz SATA Controller Card, and was wondering... what happens in WHS if the card dies?

I guess I am worried about how I can be sure my data stays safe if the card kicks the bucket. Can I just buy a new card? What happens if I cant find the same model card? What about the HDDs on the new card? Do they have to be plugged back in to the same ports? Same order? How are they identified in the system? I just want to be sure that a $99 card is the single point of failure in a $4k server (after filling it up with HDDs)...

I know many of you are using similar cards, similar set-ups and hopefully have the answers to my questions!

Thanks!

It won't matter. That card is just a Host Bus Adapter card. The drives are not dependent on the card. You can move drives on and off of the card at will without any problems. If the card fails, you can put a different HBA card in the machine or use the mobo sata ports with any of the drives that were on the previous card. This is one of the reasons these and the AOC-SASLP-MV8s are perfect HBA cards for WHS machines.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank cavediver for this post
NJPhillips
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:08 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks for the quick follow-ups. I have been looking at about a thousand different ways to build my next DIY WHS and this helps. Now, I need to find a good case that will hold a ton of drives. I like what you have both done as well as Damian, but I am also looking for something a little more turn-key. Andromeda, Shawshank and the CSE-933T-760B from erails new rig all have modification requirements that are outside my tolerance zone for being "wife friendly"

Once I determine my drive cages and case I will start a new post to solicit some opinions. Thanks!

13 TB, mixed drives

~My beautiful wife is always asking me if I love my computers more than her...I don't understand it!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:23 am 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

While "wife friendliness" (aka "Wife Acceptance Factor" or most commonly referred to as the "WAF") is important, remember that the shape/style of the box is rarely the issue. That can easily be in a closet, basement, etc and out of sight. And you will be running this "headless" virtually all the time once you get it running, exccept for times you may be troubleshooting or, occasionally, installing new applications. (And you will likely do most of even that via RDP.)

So your spouse will not be interacting directly with the server. The interaction is with the TV set, the audio player, the picture frame, another PC, etc. The real acceptance is in the user interface. At the most the day-to-day interaction with the server will be the power button.

Get the frame that meets the TECHNICAL needs...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:46 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

JBick - I agree whole heartedly with your input. I have been running a DIY WHS for about a year now and want to move my drives into a case where there is 1) more room, 2) better cooling and 3) its easy to add new drives. That being said, I have been following Andromeda as well as Shawshank for awhile now and I do not think I am ready for the time investment required for that type of tinkering, configuring, custom fan building, etc... So, when I talk about my wife tolerance, I am referring to the amount of time I am able to spend getting the darn thing to show a return on investment.

That being said my life strangely reflects Damians most recent post about "A Weekend In The Life Of The Family IT Guy" http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/01 ... ly-it-guy/ so my wife is very tolerable to my "hobby" but draws the line when it means she can't watch a movie... :-) thanks everyone for the replies. I have purchased all of my components and will start a new thread in the DIY section to see how it all goes together. Any thoughts on a great name? :-)

13 TB, mixed drives

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:26 am 

NJPhillips wrote:
That being said my life strangely reflects Damians most recent post about "A Weekend In The Life Of The Family IT Guy" http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2010/01 ... ly-it-guy/ so my wife is very tolerable to my "hobby" but draws the line when it means she can't watch a movie... :-) thanks everyone for the replies. I have purchased all of my components and will start a new thread in the DIY section to see how it all goes together. Any thoughts on a great name? :-)

That can't be a good thing, especially when I need to go to work to get some peace, lol!!

You are from New Jersey, why not name it after one of the cast members from that Jersey Shore show, maybe you can call your WHS "The Situation" :crazy:

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:39 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Anyone play with the Areca ARC-1300IX-16 yet?
I'm planning on using two of these cards in my build, they seem to be similar to the MV8 cards but double the fun.
I want to be sure they will handle AHCI, and get any impressions of others.

Thanks

Thanks