It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:37 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Afternoon all,

Nearly finished my build but I need some advice,

Can I Drill the case and chassis with the disks installed and the MOBO or should I remove them all first? ( I want to route cables through the MOBO tray)

Is there any issue with hardwiring fans and lights, as my MOLEX's are at a premium?

Can I cut off the FDD connectors from the power cables and replace them with molex's?

Thanks in advance

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:59 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

watteau wrote:
Afternoon all,

Nearly finished my build but I need some advice,

Can I Drill the case and chassis with the disks installed and the MOBO or should I remove them all first? ( I want to route cables through the MOBO tray)

Is there any issue with hardwiring fans and lights, as my MOLEX's are at a premium?

Can I cut off the FDD connectors from the power cables and replace them with molex's?

Thanks in advance

Personally, I'd remove them before drilling just as a precaution to not accidentally damaging anything. As for the wiring, you can do anything you want as long as the wire gauge will suppport the power you're going to put through it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:06 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

definitly remove the electronics, so you can blow the case out with compressed air, the last thing you need is for some loose metal chips to short out your HDD's or Mobo/Power Supply, you don't want the "smoke to escape", it's hard to get it back in :)

You might want to checkout "FrozenCPU", you can buy any connectors you need to make up whatever wacky cable harness you need, their prices are not too bad, and they ship fast. I tend to stay away from hardwiring, it makes it more difficult to replace the power supply in the future.

P.S. Floppy PS cables tend to be a smaller gauge than the standard molex's for HD's, so you should check that, but if they are similar wire size you could certainly do that, again FrozenCPU has all of those connectors...

Mitch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:31 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

You may want to get a punch set, or borrow one from a friend they make much cleaner holes and less shrapnel flying around.

I have done the floppy connector mode a few times, it's fine. (guage dependant)

Little skinny wires not good.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:44 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks Guys, I think the wires are a little skinny, I have ordered some wire and connectors, since I have a modular PSU, I'm going to make up a few cables, see how I get on, I have a multimeter so I can check them first. All of my heatshrink etc arrived today so I can start getting all of the wires sorted, now I have installed the supermicro card, I have got cables everywhere!!!!!

Thanks