It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:06 pm 

cavediver wrote:
Samaritano wrote:
Hello Damian.

Wanted to ask you if you installed the BD drive on the server to rip movies right on the server?
I have a problem that it's driving me crazy and don't know what to do. WHS shows the BD drive
as a CD drive under "My Computer". Is there something that I have to do with WHS in order to get
the LG BD drive working?

Thanks

Does the drive not work or does it just show up as a CD drive? Have you tried to read or rip a blu-ray disk in the drive?

I found what the problem was. I had to install UDF 2.5 in order for windows to recognize a BD movie.
It was only reading off CD's and DVD's.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:46 am 

Samaritano wrote:

I found what the problem was. I had to install UDF 2.5 in order for windows to recognize a BD movie.
It was only reading off CD's and DVD's.

Interesting, thanks for sharing. At some point I want to add a BR Rom drive to my WHS so it is good to know. Do you have AnyDVD running on your WHS?

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:53 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hey Damian,

The CPU that you chose (AMD Athlon II X2 245), is that powerful enough to perform transcoding without impacting overall performance of your WHS server or would you recommend a more capable CPU?

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:48 am 

All4Fun wrote:
Hey Damian,

The CPU that you chose (AMD Athlon II X2 245), is that powerful enough to perform transcoding without impacting overall performance of your WHS server or would you recommend a more capable CPU?

Oh $hit, its my boy All4Fun :cheers:

OK, enough dramatics!!! I have tested using AirVideo and Zumocast to transcode from my WHS (on the iPod, iPhone, and iPad). MY results:

- I attempted to transcode a video on my iPod touch (SD content) while my wife was watching a tv show (SD content) streamed from the WHS to the Dune. The transcoded video would not play, my guess because I was already streaming from the WHS
- I attempted to transcode videos on my iPod or my wife's iPhone (SD content). As long as the WHS was not being used for something else playback was fine, with only an occasional hiccup
- I attempted to transcode video (HD content) on my iPod/iPhone. Only the first few seconds would play and then it woudl stutter like crazy.

In all cases no matter what type of content I tried to transcode it would send my CPU to 100%. I would imagine my results would be much better with a more powerful quad core CPU. If you plan on doing any sort of transcoding I would definitely recommend going with a quad core over the dual core 245 I used in Shawshank.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:09 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Damian, you crack me up. :rofl:

I do "troll" the forums now and then but with my older generation EX470 "that just works" and more software functionality in the newer generation MediaSmarts, I don't get much of an opportunity to contribute in the forums like I used to. The reliability of the MSS has worked me out of a job here. :)

Back on topic, I've been thinking about building a new WHS server for a long while modeled after some of the parts that you chose for Shawshank. For the most part, I would only want to do this once. If the AMD X2 245 isn't enough CPU, then I would like to bump that up to an appropriate quad-core that is considered to be low-powered. Is that an oxymoron? I don't know yet until I do some research. I don't want to over do it but I don't want to complain afterwards that it doesn't meet my "design" needs for some transcoding.

BTW, update your signature. :wink:

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:04 pm 

All4Fun wrote:
Damian, you crack me up. :rofl:

I do "troll" the forums now and then but with my older generation EX470 "that just works" and more software functionality in the newer generation MediaSmarts, I don't get much of an opportunity to contribute in the forums like I used to. The reliability of the MSS has worked me out of a job here. :)

Back on topic, I've been thinking about building a new WHS server for a long while modeled after some of the parts that you chose for Shawshank. For the most part, I would only want to do this once. If the AMD X2 245 isn't enough CPU, then I would like to bump that up to an appropriate quad-core that is considered to be low-powered. Is that an oxymoron? I don't know yet until I do some research. I don't want to over do it but I don't want to complain afterwards that it doesn't meet my "design" needs for some transcoding.

BTW, update your signature. :wink:

When Vail is finally released I will probably build a new server (I will have to in order to get my data over from my current WHS). I will most likely go with a quad core. I really like the core i5s as an i7 may be overkill. It is better to have more power then you need instead of having too little.

Well, just got back from a 4 hr car ride with my boys which involved my son throwing up in the car and at the roy rogers rest stop. Gonna go find a corner in the house and hide!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:53 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
Well, just got back from a 4 hr car ride with my boys which involved my son throwing up in the car and at the roy rogers rest stop. Gonna go find a corner in the house and hide!!!

Ah yes. The joys of parenting young kids. :wink:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:48 pm 

cavediver wrote:
dbone1026 wrote:

Ah yes. The joys of parenting young kids. :wink:

Should've learned my lesson. Had to run out to the mall today. Right as I pulled into parking my 3yr old son blew chunks and then my 1yr old son proceeded to scream the entire time. I guess this is what happened when I am left in charge of the kids while the wife works. And my wife wonders why I bury my head in all this tech stuff!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:05 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Dbone,

Shhhhhhhhhh.
The I7 is shiznitzity.

Watch my pendant.
You are getting sleepy, on the count of three you will only except an I7.
When I snap my fingers you will not remember this post. :crazy:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:47 pm 

Chasrobin wrote:
Dbone,

Shhhhhhhhhh.
The I7 is shiznitzity.

Watch my pendant.
You are getting sleepy, on the count of three you will only except an I7.
When I snap my fingers you will not remember this post. :crazy:

Hey, I was actually considering upgrading my CPU. I don't think I can do an i7 though because I would need to then get a new mobo. Looking at my mobo it says it supports Phenom II / Phenom / Athlon II / Athlon64 /Sempron. I was thinking about a Phenom II x4. Question though, if I pull out the current CPU and replace with a new one, is there anything else I would need to do (or would my system automatically detect the new CPU without needing me to do anything in the BIOS)?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:53 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
Hey, I was actually considering upgrading my CPU. I don't think I can do an i7 though because I would need to then get a new mobo. Looking at my mobo it says it supports Phenom II / Phenom / Athlon II / Athlon64 /Sempron. I was thinking about a Phenom II x4. Question though, if I pull out the current CPU and replace with a new one, is there anything else I would need to do (or would my system automatically detect the new CPU without needing me to do anything in the BIOS)?

If your mobo supports the cpu, it should be seamless. Pretty much just like switching out the cpu in the MSS. We only had to modify the bios if we wanted resources tab to show the dual core CPUs. Otherwise, they worked fine without any modification.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:18 pm 

cavediver wrote:
dbone1026 wrote:

If your mobo supports the cpu, it should be seamless. Pretty much just like switching out the cpu in the MSS. We only had to modify the bios if we wanted resources tab to show the dual core CPUs. Otherwise, they worked fine without any modification.

Thanks. I have been very happy with the dual core I have been using but wouldn't mind moving over some more CPU intensive tasks to my WHS and would want to avoid the it on streaming performance

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:46 pm 

Just put in an order to NewEgg to upgrade my CPU. I currently have the AMD Athlon II 245 Dual Core but have decided to upgrade to the AMD Athlon II X4 635 Propus 2.9GHz. Main reason for upgrade:

- transcoding to mobile devices (such as iPxx)
- commercial cutting/encoding

Both processes are CPU intensive and not really fit for a dual core.

Should get early next week so will post back with hopefully a smooth transition!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:37 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hey Damian - curious whether you took the plunge and performed the CPU upgrade yet. Let us know how it's going.

2 GB RAM
19.25 TB Storage

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:04 pm 

mgannon wrote:
Hey Damian - curious whether you took the plunge and performed the CPU upgrade yet. Let us know how it's going.

Hopefully tomorrow as today I am on kid duty all day #-o

My next project after I upgrade the CPU (hopefully successfully) on Shawshank is to run some Coax/Cat6 in my bedroom. Right now I already have a cat6 and coax line in my bedroom where my TV is, However, we decided to rearrange the furniture so now the TV will be on a different wall. I am going to split off the current lines and run them to the other wall where the TV will now go, and do this by running the lines through the attic. I have run Cat6/Coax lines in my house before, but never through the attic so this should be interesting! I am just waiting on my monoprice order to show up with the tools needed. The benefit of rearranging the furniture is the wife agreed t hat by doing so where the TV will go now is too small, so just picked up a new TV :mrgreen:

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next