It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:40 pm 

Oh man looks like a full featured fun packed weekend with kids and wife asking that one same question "Are you done yet?" The one good thing here is that you have DE and a pool to work with and not individual drives to manipulate. Hopefully it will not take you all that long moving your data back to the server.

Good luck with your task.....

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 3:38 am 

Comp1962 wrote:
Oh man looks like a full featured fun packed weekend with kids and wife asking that one same question "Are you done yet?" The one good thing here is that you have DE and a pool to work with and not individual drives to manipulate. Hopefully it will not take you all that long moving your data back to the server.

Good luck with your task.....

About 1.2TB of data started moving over last night, probably won't be done until later this morning. My approach has been this:

- Clean install of WHS + 2 2TB Hard Drives
- Take a WHS data hard drive, connect it to my PC, and transfer all data over to the WHS
- Once done add the hard drive just used to the WHS
- Take next WHS data hard drive, connect it to my PC, and transfer all data over to the WHS
- Once done add the hard drive just used to the WHS
- Rinse, repeat....

On my PC I have teracopy installed, so when copying over if a copy of a file is already on the WHS then Teracopy will not copy over the duplicate. I am hopefully by the end of this weekend or early next week to be complete. I still have 12 hard drives to go through but not all drives were full and half of the data on those drives won't be copied over anyhow.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:09 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

walkabt wrote:
I had drives dropping out a few weeks ago and read about new drivers, but couldn't find them. I had to contact Supermicro support, they are not loaded on their FTP site. The updated drivers fixed my issue. 4.0.0.1200 is the version.

I was just on the phone with Supermicro support, but having to talk to them without being in front of my machine, so now I'm in holding pattern til I can get home tonight and send them email with details.

Were these updated drivers for WHS v1 or WHS 2011? Any chance you would consider emailing them to me so that I can see if they solve my (similar) problem(s)?

Norco 4220, Supermicro board/SAS cards, 4GB ram, WHS 2011, Stablebit DrivePool, 64tb storage (production)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:14 pm 

mike1812 wrote:
walkabt wrote:
I had drives dropping out a few weeks ago and read about new drivers, but couldn't find them. I had to contact Supermicro support, they are not loaded on their FTP site. The updated drivers fixed my issue. 4.0.0.1200 is the version.

I was just on the phone with Supermicro support, but having to talk to them without being in front of my machine, so now I'm in holding pattern til I can get home tonight and send them email with details.

Were these updated drivers for WHS v1 or WHS 2011? Any chance you would consider emailing them to me so that I can see if they solve my (similar) problem(s)?

ftp://ftp.supermicro.com/driver/SAS/Marvell/MV8/SAS2

- Firmware: 4.0.0.1800
- Driver: 4.0.0.2010

Note: This is just for the SASLP, not the SAT2-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:44 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:

THANK YOU! Just went there and noticed these are for the SAS2LP-MV8 cards (their newer versions). I have the older SASLP-MV8's, and the driver & firmware for those on the FTP are the same as what I'm running. Wonder if the newer card drivers will be backwards compatible?

Good luck. Sounds like a lot of data copying fun!

Question: how are you adding the drives back to your WHS with data loaded - you're not adding them to the pool? So you will just have separate drives?

Norco 4220, Supermicro board/SAS cards, 4GB ram, WHS 2011, Stablebit DrivePool, 64tb storage (production)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:59 pm 

mike1812 wrote:
dbone1026 wrote:

THANK YOU! Just went there and noticed these are for the SAS2LP-MV8 cards (their newer versions). I have the older SASLP-MV8's, and the driver & firmware for those on the FTP are the same as what I'm running. Wonder if the newer card drivers will be backwards compatible?

Good luck. Sounds like a lot of data copying fun!

Question: how are you adding the drives back to your WHS with data loaded - you're not adding them to the pool? So you will just have separate drives?

Interesting, didn't know they had newer cards

As far as data, originally I would connect a drive to my WHS and add it (just not to the pool). It would show up as a separate drive so then with Windows Explorer I would copy all the data off that drive to my WHS shares. Once done I would then add the drive to the pool.

However, instead I am not connecting the drive to my PC and transferring over the network that way. I actually find the transfer speeds to be quicker that way then from doing it connected all to the WHS.

I am a little bit in a danger zone as I don't have duplication enabled. I will take me at least copying over two more drives before I have enough free space, but hopefully I should be there in the next few days...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:24 pm 

I should also mention that I am using TeraCopy to transfer all my files over to Shawshank from my PC. I simply set it to skip copying over duplicates, so it makes things a lot less manual on my side.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:06 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

You have to email Supermicro for the new drivers for the SASLP-MV8s, the one's posted are for the PCIe x8 version - different card.

They responded to me in about 2 hours.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:52 pm 

Just how many versions of this one card do they actually have? I have 3 of these cards all Model Number AOC-SASLP-MV8 http://www.supermicro.com/products/acce ... LP-MV8.cfm which is a PCI x4 card.

Looking closer on Supermicro's Site I found the PCI x8 card and drivers Walkabt is refering too http://www.supermicro.com/products/acce ... LP-MV8.cfm these are JBOD only and the difference in the PN is a 2 AOC-SASLP-MV8 vs AOC-SAS2LP-MV8.

The link for the cards I have do not have links for Driver or Firmware updates. My feeling is that if the cards are working then leave them alone. I did have an issue with one of my cards so I sent it back and Newegg replaced it and for now life goes on. If down the road I were to chose a RAID solution I would not use these cards as they are Software RAID and would opt for the more expensive Hardware RAID Card but also this would mean my having to use more expensive drives to do this properly. Right now my mindset is not on RAID nor is my bank account ready to fund such and endever.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:32 am 

Comp1962 wrote:
Just how many versions of this one card do they actually have? I have 3 of these cards all Model Number AOC-SASLP-MV8 http://www.supermicro.com/products/acce ... LP-MV8.cfm which is a PCI x4 card.

Looking closer on Supermicro's Site I found the PCI x8 card and drivers Walkabt is refering too http://www.supermicro.com/products/acce ... LP-MV8.cfm these are JBOD only and the difference in the PN is a 2 AOC-SASLP-MV8 vs AOC-SAS2LP-MV8.

The link for the cards I have do not have links for Driver or Firmware updates. My feeling is that if the cards are working then leave them alone. I did have an issue with one of my cards so I sent it back and Newegg replaced it and for now life goes on. If down the road I were to chose a RAID solution I would not use these cards as they are Software RAID and would opt for the more expensive Hardware RAID Card but also this would mean my having to use more expensive drives to do this properly. Right now my mindset is not on RAID nor is my bank account ready to fund such and endever.

Yeah, I am not touching the fw/drivers from what I have been using.

However, from what I have read the SASLP will not support drives greater then 2TB unless you are using the latest drivers. This obviously won't be an issue for me since I am still on WHS v1

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:18 am 

The only thought to drives over 2 TB I have given is to the 2.5 TB in that I believe I can get the full use of 2 TB formatted capacity but its only a thought. I am reviewing my storage needs and trying to determine what my rate of growth over the next couple years will be. My new motherboard has some utility that I have yet to play with that provides some level of support for larger drives but I feel the solution should come on the OS level from Microsoft as its their limitation of what was it 32mb Partition Sizes back when Win95 and 98 was in use. Believe it or not I still have to use those old OS's for connecting to an Antique Machine at work that in many ways runs better then the newer pretty machines but thats another subject.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:30 am 

Comp1962 wrote:
The only thought to drives over 2 TB I have given is to the 2.5 TB in that I believe I can get the full use of 2 TB formatted capacity but its only a thought. I am reviewing my storage needs and trying to determine what my rate of growth over the next couple years will be. My new motherboard has some utility that I have yet to play with that provides some level of support for larger drives but I feel the solution should come on the OS level from Microsoft as its their limitation of what was it 32mb Partition Sizes back when Win95 and 98 was in use. Believe it or not I still have to use those old OS's for connecting to an Antique Machine at work that in many ways runs better then the newer pretty machines but thats another subject.

Shawshank can only hold 16 drives, so I have plenty of expansion possibilities via an attached enclosure before I even need to worry about running out of HDD space. This should give me a few years to keep running things as is and see how the whole home server market pans out

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:34 pm 

Data transfers starting to pick up. I am finally to the point where with each hard drive probably a good 1/4-1/2 of the data is duplicates already copied over. If I recall Shawshank was at 26TB with about 5-6TB free space. So figure 20TB duplicated or 10TB raw data. I have copied over now about 6-7TB, so I really only have about 3-4TB left to copy over which is spread out over 7 drives. I think I can, I think I can...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:20 pm 

I know you can do it but how much beer or wine will you consume during the process? I do know what a chore it is, I have migrated data between servers a few times and its never been a joyful event but I am with ya on this one and hope the task at hand completes before the weekend so you can resume your family quality time.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:33 am 

OK, 2 steps forward, 5 steps back....

Last night I copied data over from a drive connected to my PC over to Shawshank is usual fashion. When I got up this morning the transfer was complete, so I disconnected the drive from my PC, popped it into Shawshank, and added it to the pool. All good, no issues. About 5 minutes later I got a BSOD on Shawshank. Rebooted, and now I have the same symptoms as before, I get past the WHS logo/loading screen and then the screen just stays black. I popped out the last drive I added, rebooted WHS and still the same issue. To be fair though, I was leaving for work, so I didn't have time to really spend looking at.

So..... I am wondering/thinking if the culprit could possibly be hardware related (bad RAM or PSU)? A few weeks back I started having an issue where whenever I tried copying over large files to Shawshank I would get an "Insufficient Resources" error message. I ended up installing Teracopy which resolved this issue, but maybe this was the first sign of a hardware issue. Looking on WGS other members had posted about this and someone suggested RAM issues (http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php/ ... d-service/)

What do you guys think, what should be my next step to troubleshooting? I have no issues buying new RAM on my way home tonight.

Also, a few more tidbits:

- Up to this morning Shawshank has been humming along without issue (total of 9 drives or 16TB)
- I just came across a drive that appears to be bad. This has not been added to the pool yet though. I connected it to my PC and when I try to access the folders I get errors. So I may have had a bad HDD combined with possible other hardware issues that caused my original WHS crash (the perfect storm???)
- Thinking more about it, a bad HDD shouldn't give me BSOD, right? I have had bad HDDs in the past and never had issues getting into WHS, I would just simply have to resolve via the WHS console. This is what has me thinking it has to be a hardware issue.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next