It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:29 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:45 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Updated photos? :)

One with your son again, inside the case this time, would be really cool on a Saturday! :D

Glad everything is working. The only thing I couldn't get going, but may try again, is the server recovery.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:57 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Okay, maybe a stupid question, but why are the two SATA contrlloer cards you used different?

Also, why did you get a seperate network card? I see the board you used already has a 1000 network port.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:10 am 

Eric wrote:
Okay, maybe a stupid question, but why are the two SATA controller cards you used different?

Also, why did you get a seperate network card? I see the board you used already has a 1000 network port.

The network card wasn't necessary. Many people have said that the onboard NIC isn't the most reliable and I had heard a lot of good things about the Intel NIC. Since the price wasn't that expensive I figured it was worth going for, it couldn't hurt and could only help with network performance.

Really no particular reason for going with two different SATA controller cards. I originally only purchased one card (the SAT2-MV8) thinking that I would utilize the mobo sata ports for my pooled drives as well. When I decided that I only wanted to use the mobo Sata ports for only the O/S drive and Rom drive, I needed to get another card. Getting the SASLP card allowed me to utilize the PCI-E x4, whereas the SAT2 used the PCI-X. I could have just as easily purchased another SAT2 card to use with the PCI-X, but I was contemplating putting in a tv tuner card into Shawshank that needed a PCI-X, so that is why I wanted to leave that slot open.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank dbone1026 for this post
Eric
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:55 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

dbone1026 wrote:
Eric wrote:
Okay, maybe a stupid question, but why are the two SATA controller cards you used different?

The network card wasn't necessary. Many people have said that the onboard NIC isn't the most reliable and I had heard a lot of good things about the Intel NIC. Since the price wasn't that expensive I figured it was worth going for, it couldn't hurt and could only help with network performance.

Really no particular reason for going with two different SATA controller cards. I originally only purchased one card (the SAT2-MV8) thinking that I would utilize the mobo sata ports for my pooled drives as well. When I decided that I only wanted to use the mobo Sata ports for only the O/S drive and Rom drive, I needed to get another card. Getting the SASLP card allowed me to utilize the PCI-E x4, whereas the SAT2 used the PCI-X. I could have just as easily purchased another SAT2 card to use with the PCI-X, but I was contemplating putting in a tv tuner card into Shawshank that needed a PCI-X, so that is why I wanted to leave that slot open.

Thank you. That was the exact response I was looking for. Plain and simple.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:33 am 

dbone1026,

Very nice thread! I read it with great interest and I could feel your pain when you ran into problem and felt the excitement you must of felt when you relsolved the issues. I have to say thats one impressive case you have there.

The question I have is if you had to do it over again would you use the same components or do you think you would of chose something different. I know you must be proud of your build and I would be too. Maybe the better question would be if you were to build another unit would you build the same thing or do something different?

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:48 am 

Comp1962 wrote:
dbone1026,

Very nice thread! I read it with great interest and I could feel your pain when you ran into problem and felt the excitement you must of felt when you relsolved the issues. I have to say thats one impressive case you have there.

The question I have is if you had to do it over again would you use the same components or do you think you would of chose something different. I know you must be proud of your build and I would be too. Maybe the better question would be if you were to build another unit would you build the same thing or do something different?

I would most likely do the same thing over if I had to. The HP MSS' are great, and the new EX495 which I am setting up for my dad is definitely a big step up from the EX470 I was using. However, as my geekiness has evolved there is just something satisfying about building your own pc (and more importantly having it work!!!). I like the fact that I have complete control over the process, and if down the road I ever want to upgrade it hopefully should be as easy as just replacing a component (whereas with the MSS you would need to buy a new one). Many people like using the Norco case (see the Andromeda thread done by Cavediver) and I would have considered (It would have been slightly cheaper then my build with a little more space) but a rackmount case will just not work in my house. The only changes I would have considered would be instead of going with the Chenbro Case and cages going with the Antec 1200 and Athena cages. The Antec/Athena setup would give me 4 more bays (20 vs 16). I actually really like my chenbro setup, the only big PITA is that since the case/cage is somewhat of a special order it takes more time to get parts. Right now I still have 5 free bays in Shawshank so I should be good for a while (plus if I run out of bays I would start replacing the 1TB drives I have with 2TB drives). OK, I am done babbling!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 2:54 pm 

Building anything and seeing it come alive is always a joyful event. Your absolutely correct about doing your own build giving you full control over replacing components and what not. This is where I believe HP has dropped the ball and made it somewhat difficult for the end user because they have not made replacement components available for the end user but then again no everyone has the ability to service their own units but it can easily learned. Having said that I still often recommend to many people that they purchase an HP MSS because of its simplicity of use.

I have recently started copying my DVD collection which I have somewhere between 500-600 movies in my collection. I do not mean to burden you with questions but how big is your movie collection and how much space does your collection actually take up. Currently I have copied my movies in their origional TS format and so I am evaluating the space required and for me I am duplicating their storage. On another note I because I am an firm believer in redundancy I tend to copy things to multiple locations so if something say happens to the server I still have access to my data.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:28 pm 

Comp1962 wrote:
Building anything and seeing it come alive is always a joyful event. Your absolutely correct about doing your own build giving you full control over replacing components and what not. This is where I believe HP has dropped the ball and made it somewhat difficult for the end user because they have not made replacement components available for the end user but then again no everyone has the ability to service their own units but it can easily learned. Having said that I still often recommend to many people that they purchase an HP MSS because of its simplicity of use.

I have recently started copying my DVD collection which I have somewhere between 500-600 movies in my collection. I do not mean to burden you with questions but how big is your movie collection and how much space does your collection actually take up. Currently I have copied my movies in their origional TS format and so I am evaluating the space required and for me I am duplicating their storage. On another note I because I am an firm believer in redundancy I tend to copy things to multiple locations so if something say happens to the server I still have access to my data.

Right now I am at around 5TB worth of movies/tv shows (so x2 with duplication equates to around 10TB). On the movie side I probably have somewhere in the area of 300+, a mix of SD DVDs and Blu Rays/HD DVDs. For the SD DVDs I originally ripped them as Video_TS (only main movie, not the full disc) but lately just decided to throw them into mkvs (no encoding, just use MakeMKV to put into mkv). As for my Blu Rays I use Clown_BD to grab just the Main Movie, HD Audio track, and secondary AC3 audio track, and throw into .ts. My main media players are two HTPCs, but I also have a PCH A-110, PCH C-200, Myka, and SageTV HD200, all of which can play back from Shawshank. Since my HTPCs are my main playback devices I use Windows Media Center (W7), with Media Browser as my main UI (you can see my Media Browser writeup here). I use metabrowser to manage my metadata for Media Browser via WHS (see writeup here). Obviously depending on what playback device/UI you use different software would be involved.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:38 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Any new news on this dbone?!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:51 pm 

MaximAvs wrote:
Any new news on this dbone?!!!

There is probably one of those cases where no news is good news :mrgreen:

Shawshank has been running along without any issues (knock on wood). I picked up 3 2TB drives during the Good Friday sales, so that takes me up to about 16TB with 2 free bays remaining. If I ever get to the point where all bays are taken up and I have run out of space I would probably just start replacing the 1TB drives which make up most of the storage with 2TB drives. I should be good for a while, now that I have my entire movie collection stored I shouldn't be adding too much new content, just the tv shows I record and a few new movies here and there. YOu can see from the screenshot at the bottom that WHS still does not do a great job in balancing the data among the storage drives.

My one somewhat small project at some point, I want to set up a VPN between Shawshank and my dads EX495 that I just set up for him. I am usiing his server for some offsite backups, so hopefully by creating the VPN I can set up the backups automatically. Hopefully it shouldn't be too difficult, going to try LogMeIn Hamachi and take it from there

Attachment:
WHS Console.JPG
WHS Console.JPG [ 115.91 KiB | Viewed 11248 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:21 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

How are you getting the tabs on the side of the Disk Management screen?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:39 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Good to hear!!

After the recent crash of my MSS, I'm thinking of building my own server. Not as large or elaborate as yours but one that i can work on should it fail!

Keep up the great work!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:41 am 

MaximAvs wrote:
Good to hear!!

After the recent crash of my MSS, I'm thinking of building my own server. Not as large or elaborate as yours but one that i can work on should it fail!

Keep up the great work!!

You can definitely build a WHS cheap, and as you mentioned, I like the fact that if something goes wrong I can work on myself. Make sure you start a new thread if you go the DIY route, it will be like old times when we were building the HTPCs!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:45 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I will start a new thread, and hopefully it will be a smoother build than the HTPC!
You know I'm stealing your component choices!! :D :mrgreen:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:49 am 

MaximAvs wrote:
I will start a new thread, and hopefully it will be a smoother build than the HTPC!
You know I'm stealing your component choices!! :D :mrgreen:

Haha, no problem. I really like the mobo/cpu combo I have

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 13  Next