It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:28 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Umm, maybe SHAWSHANK will function as a form of birth control? :rofl:

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:17 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

TxDot wrote:
Umm, maybe SHAWSHANK will function as a form of birth control? :rofl:

Now that there is funny!! i don't care who you are. Starving pigmys and all. :lol: :lol:

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:20 pm 

I FOUND THE ARTIC SILVER \:D/ !!! It wasn't looking promising as there aren't many PC component type stores by me and I could only locate one Best Buy that might have thermal paste. Problem averted though. I am not going to have time tonight to get any further since I have to be at work at 4am, but hopefully tomrrow will be the day. Here is what I have lined up:

- Get CPU, O/S HDD, and RAM loaded
- Move WHS and Mobo drive disk onto USB drive
- Load O/S and drivers and hope everything goes well.
- Install a few basic add ins like Toolkit, etc...
- Let the system run solo for a fews days to make sure I have no hardware/software problems, check fans, etc...
- Once everything looks good install the WinTV 2250 TV Tuner Card as well as HDHomerun
- Install 8 Port Sata Controller Card
- Install HDD Cages and start to migrate HDDs from MSS.

Now a couple quick questions for you guys and gals:

1) What potential issues could I run in to having 2 WHS systems running on the same network (they will be named differently of course)? Any best practices for handling this? I think eventually I will move the HP server offsite, but at least to start both will be live on my network.
2) Should I anticipate any issues when moving my HDDs over from the MSS to SHAWSHANK? I assume I would just shut down the MSS, pull out the drives (all except the O/S drive), put them in to SHAWSHANK, and then do a server restore? Do I have to remove them from the pool before I do this? I will do a little more reading on this tomorrow.

Thanks.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:42 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I ran my MSS connected like normal.

I then used Donavan West's Share Master for WHS gadget on my vista machine as a way to access the files on my secondary DIY home server.
Of course I had to have the guest account activated.

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank CBick for this post
dbone1026
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:42 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Oops! double posted.

4GB Mushkin Ram
TR4MB eSata Enclosure
TR4UB USB Enclosure
Netgear WNDR3700
UPS APC 1500 XS LCD

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:12 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
1) What potential issues could I run in to having 2 WHS systems running on the same network (they will be named differently of course)? Any best practices for handling this? I think eventually I will move the HP server offsite, but at least to start both will be live on my network.

The main issue is that you can only "connect" via the connector to one WHS at a time. What I'm doing now: I have kept my MSS connected to my PCs for backup and syncing via Synctoy. I have users and shares set up in both my MSS and Andromeda exactly the same, so both show up under Network Places under Windows Explorer and I can copy files back and forth between the two. I RDP into Andromeda for maintenance and run Andromeda's console via the RDP session. I can have both the console for the MSS and an RDP session to Andromeda open at the same time.

Quote:
2) Should I anticipate any issues when moving my HDDs over from the MSS to SHAWSHANK? I assume I would just shut down the MSS, pull out the drives (all except the O/S drive), put them in to SHAWSHANK, and then do a server restore? Do I have to remove them from the pool before I do this? I will do a little more reading on this tomorrow.

Keep in mind that doing a server restore on a DIY WHS is different that on the MSS. You will have to re-load your drivers as you are restoring WHS, so you should have all of your drivers available on a usb thumb drive or on a floppy. I understand it can be a PITA unless you create a slipstream disk with all of the drivers.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank cavediver for this post
dbone1026
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:14 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

The easiest way would be to restore the server from a backup on a drive that was not in the storage pool (WHS backup drive), but you probably have too much data for that I am going to assume. This is the route that I went when I migrated from my homebuilt WHS to the MSS. Worked perfectly. I will mention that I did recreate the user accounts exactly as they were on the old server so that when I restored the shares there was no conflict. Mind you I only had about 250gb that I restored to the new server. I dd not restore the whole server, just the shares.

When I pluged the external WHS backup drive into the new server, I did not have to add it. It already saw it as a backup drive since it was set up as such in the old server.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank clc4912 for this post
dbone1026
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:40 pm 

Well, so far SHAWSHANK has not reached redemption.... I got everything set up, created my bootable USB flash drive (following these instructions) and was ready to go. First thing, when I start the Server my Case starts buzzing (like my house is on fire), indicating that there is a temp issue in area 2. I can mute the alarm but as a response all the fans in the case go to Mach 10. There must be a faulty sensor somewhere but unfortunately the instructions are poorly documented. I will have to wait until tomorrow to resolve this issue as Customer Service is closed today. I figured I could still get WHS installed though. Tried to boot from the USB drive, not recognized.... Tried a couple more times, no luck. Since i didn't have a spare internal ROM drive lying around I just yanked one out of my HTPC to load via disk. I set boot priority to the CD rom, everything starts to initialize, and then I get an error that a Hard Drive capable of hosting WHS was not found. So looks like I may have a bad HDD. It just came in from Newegg so never had a chance to test out, looks like I will have to throw in my PC to confirm if it is bad.

So all in all I am batting .000!!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:10 pm 

Well, I confirmed thae the WD Caviar Black drive I got from Newegg was DOA. I had an old 80GB Seagate drive, so I formatted, popped into SHAWSHANK and WHS is installing as we speak. I will do a clean install again once I get a new HDD from newegg, but this will give me a chance to start testing out the system. Now I just need to hear back from technical support on the Chenbro case to resolve the temperature/fan issue, until then I cannot do anything as the noise is ridiculous.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:26 am 

There may be potential for a Slim DVD Rom player in the case. Right below the top 3 5.25" bays there is a much smaller bay that looks dvdesque. When I remove the panel there is a metal bracket blocking, but looks like it can be easily removed. From reading the user guide it appears the purpose of this extra "slot" is for rack mounting the case. As a pedestal Chenbro assumed would occupy the top 3 bays with 3 Rom Drives. If you rackmount you would want to keep these rom drives horizontal, so you would remove that DVDesque bay/bracket and rotate the 3 Rom Drive, sliding into this removed bracket. I haven't received the HDD cages to be positive this space could be free and clear, but may be worth a shot...

Attachment:
IMG_1972.jpg
IMG_1972.jpg [ 113.83 KiB | Viewed 15861 times ]

Attachment:
IMG_1973.jpg
IMG_1973.jpg [ 62.91 KiB | Viewed 15861 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:37 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Looks to me that the small bay is just for a standard slimline DVD and there is no need to keep the dvd horizontal when it is rackmounted. They can either be horizontal or vertical. The top 3 bays can take a 5 into 3 hot swap sata backplane, again either horizontal or vertical depending on the case being used as a rackmount or pedistal.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:46 am 

erail wrote:
Looks to me that the small bay is just for a standard slimline DVD and there is no need to keep the dvd horizontal when it is rackmounted. They can either be horizontal or vertical. The top 3 bays can take a 5 into 3 hot swap sata backplane, again either horizontal or vertical depending on the case being used as a rackmount or pedistal.

That is what I am hoping. In the user manual it mentions specifically that the small bay was for rotating to keep the dvd drives horizontal when rackmounted, but I m not rackmounting anyhow so might as well try to make some use out of that extra space. I will probably pick up the slim dvd that Cavediver got for Andromeda and give that a whirl

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:58 pm 
Founder
Founder

Sorry to hear of the difficulties with the build. :( You probably know this, but note that you can run your WHS for 30 days without activating, I'd recommend doing that until you're positive the config is good. :whs:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:38 pm 

yakuza wrote:
Sorry to hear of the difficulties with the build. :( You probably know this, but note that you can run your WHS for 30 days without activating, I'd recommend doing that until you're positive the config is good. :whs:

Good idea. I ended up shutting everything down right after WHS installed anyhow as the sound of 10 747 planes circling my house (i.e. the case fans at full blast) were driving me nuts.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:23 pm 

Well, I am happy to report I figured out the fan controls for the case. I called tech support but they were no help, just told me to send an RMA to have a new sensor sent out to me. Going through the User Manual there is a small DIP switch in the case that I can access to adjust the fan settings, and even shut off the temperature sensor. I was able to shut off temp sensor 2 and the annoying alarm (plus mach 10 fan speeds) are gone :mrgreen: . This is a pretty snazzy case, the geek in me must really be coming out now since I am so excited I have a temporary solution (and really worse case I don't really care about the case temp sensors).

Attachment:
IMG_1977.JPG
IMG_1977.JPG [ 2.31 MiB | Viewed 15948 times ]

DIP OFF ON
SW1-1 FAN 2 sensor disable FAN 2 sensor enable
SW1-2 FAN 4 sensor disable FAN 4 sensor enable
SW1-3 FAN 5 sensor disable FAN 5 sensor enable
SW1-4 FAN 6 sensor disable FAN 6 sensor enable
SW1-5 Temp. sensor 1 disable Temp. sensor 1 enable
SW1-6 Temp. sensor 2 disable Temp. sensor 2 enable (this is the sensor I disabled)
SW1-7 Temp. sensor 3 disable Temp. sensor 3 enable
SW1-8 Temperature setting 55℃ Temperature setting 65℃

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next