It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:49 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

Right click my Computer go to manage.
Click user and groups find your HTPCuser account.
Right click select properties.
You should be able to find unlock in there.

BTW enabling the guest account does not give it remote access automatically.
And does seem to eliminate some of these mystery issues.
Otherwise if security is a concern ya might want to set a password on that HTPCuser acct.
I know on the media center connect it wants the same password as your Administrator console password.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:19 pm 

Chasrobin wrote:
Right click my Computer go to manage.
Click user and groups find your HTPCuser account.
Right click select properties.
You should be able to find unlock in there.

BTW enabling the guest account does not give it remote access automatically.
And does seem to eliminate some of these mystery issues.
Otherwise if security is a concern ya might want to set a password on that HTPCuser acct.
I know on the media center connect it wants the same password as your Administrator console password.

Thanks.

The HTPCuser acct does have a password attached to it, the HTPC itself did not. I added the password to the HTPC last night just in case that was part of the issue (which is shouldnt be but wanted to rule out). Was watching a show tonight, the Port Forwarding error notification popped up, and I lost the server again. So I have now ruled out that it is not an NIC issue since I was using the onboard. Looks like the next step is to do a server recovery if I have the energy this weekend.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:02 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I wouldn't do a server recovery just yet, have you looked at router or switch and done some swapping. The problem still sounds to me like a network infrastructure problem rather than an MSS problem.

Edit: I mean a WHS problem not MSS.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Last edited by erail on Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:15 am 

erail wrote:
I wouldn't do a server recovery just yet, have you looked at router or switch and done some swapping. The problem still sounds to me like a network infrastructure problem rather than an MSS problem.

Well I just switched ports on my hp pro curve router yesterday, so I will give it a few days and see what happens. If it still crashes I have a dlink switch that I can swap out, so I will try that. And the lastly if that fails do a server recovery. Something does seem off with my whs in general, I remoted in earlier and it froze on me (unrelated to problems I have been having)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:42 am 

So I switched ports on my switch a few days ago, and unfortunately last night the server crashed again. Amazing how it always happens whenever the wife is trying to watch a show!!! Shawshank is connected to my HP Pro Curve switch. As a last resort I will switch that switch with a D Link switch I have at home. I have a feeling it will not make a difference, so I am gearing up for a server recovery if the switch switch doesn't work. I really think something is corrupt with WHS which is really a shame because up to this point WHS had been running like a champ.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:10 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Sorry to hear that. When I went thru my server recovery it was a nightmare & seemed to take forever. I think once I have my build working, I will create an Acronis Image of the OS drive. I use Acronis to recover my PCs, which usually takes about half hour & the PC is back up & running like new

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:18 am 

ladino wrote:
Sorry to hear that. When I went thru my server recovery it was a nightmare & seemed to take forever. I think once I have my build working, I will create an Acronis Image of the OS drive. I use Acronis to recover my PCs, which usually takes about half hour & the PC is back up & running like new

It would be ironic if I can't do a server recovery considering I wrote about doing a server recovery lol:

http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2009/09 ... me-server/

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:33 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Practice what you preach :lol:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:08 am 
Founder
Founder

ladino wrote:

Be sure you know what you're doing, with WHS it's not as simple as just cloning the OS drive. More details here.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:12 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
So I switched ports on my switch a few days ago, and unfortunately last night the server crashed again. Amazing how it always happens whenever the wife is trying to watch a show!!! Shawshank is connected to my HP Pro Curve switch. As a last resort I will switch that switch with a D Link switch I have at home. I have a feeling it will not make a difference, so I am gearing up for a server recovery if the switch switch doesn't work. I really think something is corrupt with WHS which is really a shame because up to this point WHS had been running like a champ.

Dbone1026, How are things going? Did you swap the switches and did it make a difference?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:41 am 

erail wrote:

Dbone1026, How are things going? Did you swap the switches and did it make a difference?

I was talking with Yak and he suggested disabling the UPnP on my router. I did that I think this past Tuesday and so far the problem has not happened again, so it is looking more and more like that is the problem. I was average a crash every 2-3 days, so if I make it through this week then looks like I am in the clear. Funny enough, since I disabled UPnP my transfer speeds have increased. Before I was average around 20-30 MB/s when moving large files from my PC to Shawshank. Now I am regularly at 40-50MB/s with bursts easily over 60MB/s. Not sure if this is related or to be honest what UPnP on the router even does, but I will take it!!!

Of course nothing ever goes smooth though. I purchased a Seagate 2TB LP drive a little over a week ago. Saturday morning the WHS console was yelling at me about the backup service not running, file conflicts up the ying yang, etc... Turns out the Seagate drive had failed. By the time I was able to remove the drive (WHS would not allow me to remove by clicking the Remove button, I actually had to pull the drive out first and then click Remove) and then attempt to repair my backup databases (had to do this twice and still lost some backup), it was another 6-8 hours wasted.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:09 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have had 4 or 5 fail in the last month or so, including a couple of DOA's from Newegg and a mix of Seagates and WD. Luckly WHS has taken care of the failures quite well, so no lost data. It's funny how the routers cause more problems that actually mask what is happening. No an easy thing to debug. I think I have found a problem with HP 3.0 and Asoft's AdminMe add in. Keep losing the console with the block of error messages when it's installed and seems to run ok when it's not. Runs fine on SuperwhsII just not on the MSS.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:25 am 

erail wrote:
I have had 4 or 5 fail in the last month or so, including a couple of DOA's from Newegg and a mix of Seagates and WD. Luckly WHS has taken care of the failures quite well, so no lost data. It's funny how the routers cause more problems that actually mask what is happening. No an easy thing to debug. I think I have found a problem with HP 3.0 and Asoft's AdminMe add in. Keep losing the console with the block of error messages when it's installed and seems to run ok when it's not. Runs fine on SuperwhsII just not on the MSS.

The frustrating thing is that the Server Storage tab in the WHS Console showed the drive as healthy. It instead showed that another drive was unhealthy, which I repaired and verified that was nothing wrong with. Fortunately HDD Sentinal clearly showed the drive had failed. What makes it worse is that I had to repair the backup databases twice which took Shawshank off the network for over 4 hours. Hopefully this is the last of the issues for a while and I can just enjoy having a stable server!!!

Attachment:
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG [ 176.53 KiB | Viewed 12229 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:34 am 

Hello Damian.

Wanted to ask you if you installed the BD drive on the server to rip movies right on the server?
I have a problem that it's driving me crazy and don't know what to do. WHS shows the BD drive
as a CD drive under "My Computer". Is there something that I have to do with WHS in order to get
the LG BD drive working?

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:03 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Samaritano wrote:
Hello Damian.

Wanted to ask you if you installed the BD drive on the server to rip movies right on the server?
I have a problem that it's driving me crazy and don't know what to do. WHS shows the BD drive
as a CD drive under "My Computer". Is there something that I have to do with WHS in order to get
the LG BD drive working?

Thanks

Does the drive not work or does it just show up as a CD drive? Have you tried to read or rip a blu-ray disk in the drive?

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 194 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next