It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Andromeda
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:15 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I bought mine at Fry's. The problem with that solid wire is it's too stiff. Any electronics supply, electrical supply, or home improvement store should have it. You can also try Graingers, McMaster Carr or MSC industrial supply. You just want the most flexible 18ga stranded wire you can get.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:43 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I haven't had many issues with my Norco case and none that were not correctable. The top is tight, but only with the new fan bracket (3x120mm). The orignal fan bracket was narrower by nearly 3mm on mine (the new one pushes the case out a little which puts more pressure on the sides of the top). I bent side of the top clips back on the top around the new fan bracket in order to get the top off easily. Slides back about a half inch and then pops off.

I didn't get cut on the case, not sure where you guys took the beating. Mine doesn't have many sharp points.

Norco replaced one backplane and the USB assembly right off the bat for me. Support was quick and easy.

I have mine mounted in the bottom third of my Omnimont RSF using the RL-26 rails. GLAD I went with the rails rather than use one of the extra 5U shelves I purchased. I've neeed to pull this case out a lot over the past month and the rails made a huge difference.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:57 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I figured out and solved the tight case lid issue. I measured the top of the case with the lid off and discovered the dimension across the case at the back was 16-11/16" and at the front was 16-12/16+" or 16-3/4+". The inside dimension of the case lid is 16-3/4". The case was being pushed out at the front by ~1/16" or so, which was causing the lid to be very tight and basically impossible to put on or get off. There are two little screws at the top of the case just behind the front tabs which screw into the top of the case where the lid slides behind the front plate. I noticed when I unscrewed them, the case moved in; so I unscrewed both sides until the screws were loose, then tightened them back just a little so they wouldn't fall or vibrate out, making sure the case was no more than 16-11/16" wide just like the back. After doing this minor mod, the lid moved on and off very easily. I've attached a photo of the small screw at the top front of the case that needs to be adjusted.

Attachments:
PA050020.jpg
PA050020.jpg [ 95.31 KiB | Viewed 9400 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:55 pm 

Has anyone changed the virtual memory settings on their WHS build? I vaguely recall doing something like this when I first got the MSS and did the memory upgrade, gotta dig around the posts to see if it clears out some of the cobwebs.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:56 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
Has anyone changed the virtual memory settings on their WHS build? I vaguely recall doing something like this when I first got the MSS and did the memory upgrade, gotta dig around the posts to see if it clears out some of the cobwebs.

I didn't make any changes to my virtual memory settings.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:06 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have a new improved/enhanced batch of the 120mm fan boards available. I made a new thread in the Marketplace forum with photos of the new fan board here.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:37 pm 

Thanks for all the detail on your posts. I have a question for Cavediver and the others that have posted HDD temp to this thread.

I noticed that when you guys post you temp screen shots it shows most (if not all) your drives idle.

Do you or have you tested or monitored your drive temps at load? If so can you share your results?

I am using the 1200rpm slipstream fans and 2 Noctua NF-R8 at the rear and I'm getting 43-46C when all 8 of mt 1.5tb Seagate drives are at load (error chek or write zeros) and if I let them go idle 34-38C.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:18 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

drsreym wrote:
Thanks for all the detail on your posts. I have a question for Cavediver and the others that have posted HDD temp to this thread.

I noticed that when you guys post you temp screen shots it shows most (if not all) your drives idle.

Do you or have you tested or monitored your drive temps at load? If so can you share your results?

I am using the 1200rpm slipstream fans and 2 Noctua NF-R8 at the rear and I'm getting 43-46C when all 8 of mt 1.5tb Seagate drives are at load (error chek or write zeros) and if I let them go idle 34-38C.

That's because in WHS the drives in the storage pool are idle most of the time. The only time all of the drives are not idle is when the system is balancing and that usually only takes a couple of minutes and doesn't heat the drives up very much especially with the LP/Green drives which I'm using. The highest activity on any one drive comes when I'm copying large m2ts files from the PC to Andromeda and again that only takes at most 15 minutes or so and doesn't really heat the drives up very much.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:26 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

And even during balancing it would be unusual for more than 2-4 drives to have real simultaneous activity. Even in a 4-drive system you will not see all drives being drive to the maximum data rates at the same time -- generally only two.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:55 pm 

I know WHS doesn't spin up all the drives at the same time or rarely does.

I was asking if anyone had done any load testing on all their drives on the new fan cage and checked their temps. I guess the answer is no. I was just doing some burn in tests and was hoping to have something to compare it to.

Thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:18 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

drsreym wrote:
I know WHS doesn't spin up all the drives at the same time or rarely does.

I was asking if anyone had done any load testing on all their drives on the new fan cage and checked their temps. I guess the answer is no. I was just doing some burn in tests and was hoping to have something to compare it to.

Thanks.

Yesterday, I turned on duplication for about 1TB of shared data. Almost immediately, all of the drives went very active for about 1 hour. I checked the drive temps every 15 minutes or so, but there were no noticible increases in any of the drive temps.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:01 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Hmmmm... More previous activity than reported before. Change maybe? And it sounds faster if it did a TB in an hour!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:19 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

JohnBick wrote:
Hmmmm... More previous activity than reported before. Change maybe? And it sounds faster if it did a TB in an hour!

Yes. I was only using Andromeda for a media storage and streaming server. However, since my MSS has faltered and MS hasn't responded at all to my Connect bug submission in over a month, I decided to be safe and copy all of my data over to Andromeda. Yesterday, I turned on duplication for all of my shares except for the video share which I'll turn on after I add three more drives. With 17 drives in Andromeda now, drive extender had a field day and scattered data files all over the place. And yes, the duplication was very fast. I expected about 3 hours, but was pleasantly surprised when it finished in just a little over an hour. Here's a screenshot of Andromeda's Disk Management tab taken this morning.
Attachment:
andromeda disk management 20091208 am.JPG
andromeda disk management 20091208 am.JPG [ 130.42 KiB | Viewed 9019 times ]

I'll turn duplication on for the video share after I add three more 2TB drives.

Also, notice that 3 of the drives are full which is strange post PP2. When I copied over all of my video share, I copied it over in very large chunks (~2 - 3 TB at a time). At the time I had 12 drives and over 22 TB of available space in the storage pool, yet those 3 drives filled up one after another, which is PP1 drive extender behavior. I don't know why it did that, but whatever, it really doesn't matter that much other than it's an apparent drive extender anomoly.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:20 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I am a bit surprised at drives 0, 5 & 15... Especially surprised at drive 0 (System Drive).

Personally I'd probably use Drive Balancer to empty that one. And the others may re-balance in time. Will be interesting to watch!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:54 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

JohnBick wrote:
I am a bit surprised at drives 0, 5 & 15... Especially surprised at drive 0 (System Drive).

Personally I'd probably use Drive Balancer to empty that one. And the others may re-balance in time. Will be interesting to watch!

John, the system drive is disk 16, not disk 0. Also note that it is only a 120 (119) GB SSD drive. 119GB / 17% = ~20 GB, so it only has the WHS OS on it. Disks 16 & 17 are attached to the mobo sata ports therefore no temp data. The other 16 drives are attached to the 2 Supermicro SASLP cards. Disk 15 filled up with BDBB backups from my MSS awhile ago. I reported to Yakuza the PP1 behavior with the BDBB backups, but could never figure out why all of the BDBB backups weren't being spread across the drive pool. Disks 0 & 5 filled up when I copied over all of my 12TB video share from the MSS to Andromeda. When I was copying over 5 or 6 files at a time, the files were being spread evenly across the drive pool. I got impatient and started selecting and copying 30 - 40 files at a time, letting it copy all day while I was at the office. I noticed after the first couple of these that all of the files were being copied to one drive exhibiting PP1 drive extender behavior. I went back to smaller batches and the system again began spreading each file across the storage pool drives. I have plan for spreading the data but I need to get 3 more 2TB drives before I begin the process.

Also, the full drives will not re-balance in time on their own. Once a drive is full, it stays full unless some external action is taken to move the data.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 22  Next