It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Andromeda
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:16 am 

walkabt wrote:
I understand why you went with the Intel NIC. The realtek 8111c onboard NIC is horrible, drops off nearly every night and you can't wake it up. I made all of the adjustments to ensure the card never is turns off to save power or the such; power management is set properly in WHS and on the motherboard. I connected a mouse just to try to wake up the PC until my new card arrives. PITA. Intel NIC on the way.

Also, got the 110CFM Sycthe Slipstreams in - nice! Now 330CFM which is more than stock fans and I still don't hear the unit over my other PCs. These are the highest output slipstreams, running 37dba each per the box, about 40 for all three.

Which NIC did you buy, I was actually looking at getting this Intel NIC?

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:55 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

dbone1026 wrote:
Which NIC did you buy, I was actually looking at getting this Intel NIC?

I bought this one http://www.intel.com/Products/Desktop/Adapters/Gigabit-CT/Gigabit-CT-overview.htm from Amazon. Newegg didn't have it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:18 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

http://www.buy.com/prod/intel-gigabit-c ... 89487.html
$34.99 shipped.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:04 pm 

cavediver wrote:
walkabt wrote:
How much are you charging for the fan brackets?

$40.00 plus shipping via UPS ground.

I sent you a PM Please let me know if you got it.
I need 2 of these before Oct
Thanks
Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:52 pm 

cavediver wrote:
About a month ago, I increased the capacity of my MSS to about 27 TB by adding an additional Sans Digital TR4U 4-bay USB external enclosure with 4-1.5 TB Seagate drives. That's 20 drives in the MSS (1- 500 GB system drive and 19-1.5 TB drives as well as 2-500 GB drives for BDBB backups). As I've been increasing the storage capacity of my MSS, I've been thinking about building a WHS that is considerably more robust and could contain all of my storage capacity in one box. I started the process with quite a lot of research about the various components that would satisfy my criteria for a robust WHS. After much back and forth, I finally settled on as set of components, purchased everything I needed and began assembling the computer. I'm not completely finished as I still have several power cables to build and I'm working an a modification to the fan wall so it can accommodate 3 - 120 mm fans instead of 4-80 mm fans. Anyway, I'd like to introduce Andromeda.

Case: Norco RPC-4220 (20 - 3.5" hot swap sata drive bays + 1 - 2.5" drive bay)
PSU - Corsair HX750W
Mobo - Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-UD4H
CPU - AMD 5050e
RAM - 4 GB (2 x 2 GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800) (only 3.5 GB is recognized)
SATA controller cards: (2) - Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8
ODD - Sony AD7590S slim DVD RW drive
System Drive: Kingston SSDNow V series 128 GB SSD
Storage Pool: No drives yet, however, there will be 20 - 2 TB Seagate LP or WD GP drives or a mix of the two.
OS - WHS

I'd like to especially thank erail for his generous help with the installation of the WHS software and integrating it into my network with the MSS. I've had the software installed and running stable for several days now. According to CPUID HWMonitor, the cpu is running at 20 deg C. I've not installed any hard drives into the storage pool yet as I want to get the box finished before I start building the storage pool in case I have to reinstall the OS. I have added the Advanced Admin Console addin as well as Toolkit v. 1.0, but that's all I've done so far.

Below are a few pictures. More will follow as I finish the power cables and replace one of the SATA backplanes that had a defective SAS connector, (should be here on Monday) and finish all of the cabling.

I am using the same setup as you have just different motherboard and CPU.
MotherBoard ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
CPU Intel Core I7 920
Norco RPC-4220

right now I have the Kingston 128 SSD and dvd, Not pluged in yet.
I just ave an old IDE dvd rom and one 500gb sata drive and installed WHS on it, Just a queston here if you
don't mind because I don't know if I have a defective SATA backplanes or not, I do have the cable that plugs into the
SATA backplanes going into sata 1,2,3 and 4 on the mother board, When I do this I get the green light that tells me that a drive is in the bay but my Bios set up DoesNot see the drive. I then did some playing around and found out that Power
is not going to the drive, I mean the drive does not spin when its hooked to the SATA backplane.
Just trying to find out if this is a bad case. I tried all of them and none of them will spin the drives.
If you can help me out here I realy need it before I contack NORCO.
Thanks
Any questions please ask.
Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:02 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Jim,

Did you connect the 4 pin molex power connectors on the right side of the backplane? There are two per backplane, but supposedly you only need one per backplane. I've connected the power connectors on both.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:33 pm 

cavediver wrote:
Jim,

Did you connect the 4 pin molex power connectors on the right side of the backplane? There are two per backplane, but supposedly you only need one per backplane. I've connected the power connectors on both.

Yes I did, I tried just one side then the other and then both.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:20 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Jim,

Have you tried the drives in another PC to make sure they aren't dead? Also, have you put a volt meter to the cables coming out of your PSU to make sure you're getting voltage out? If you're using a modular PSU, have you tried a different socket? I find it hard to believe that all 5 backplanes are bad. Start with the source (PSU) and trace the power through the backplanes. Also, are you sure you've got the drives screwed in the trays correctly so the connectors on the drives make a proper connection with the backplane? The drives actually stick out a ways from the end of the tray.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:36 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I had to adjust my backplanes to ensure I was getting a good fit/seating of the drives.

I did this by turning off the power, loosening the screws on the side, putting trays with drives in them, then fitting them into the backplane and retightening the screws while the backplanes were aligned. I had two out of alignment when I got them. If the drives don't sit properly there could be an issue.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:19 pm 

cavediver wrote:
Jim,

Have you tried the drives in another PC to make sure they aren't dead? Also, have you put a volt meter to the cables coming out of your PSU to make sure you're getting voltage out? If you're using a modular PSU, have you tried a different socket? I find it hard to believe that all 5 backplanes are bad. Start with the source (PSU) and trace the power through the backplanes. Also, are you sure you've got the drives screwed in the trays correctly so the connectors on the drives make a proper connection with the backplane? The drives actually stick out a ways from the end of the tray.

I sent a email to NORCO and told them the problem, My son in Florida has the same case that I have we are both
building the same thing but different guts inside, I live in MA. he lives in Florida. I will be going down in three weeks to
visit. But anyway he is going to try the case tonight and he will get back to me.
The case I have is the new box, It's missing the floppy bay on the right and has to brackets for SSD.
I have tried everything I can think of, Tried drives in bay and out, swapped power in and out.
Everything works out of the bay and nothing works in the bay (all of them). The first thing that I noticed, really has nothing to do with the power is the sata plug that goes into the backplane, does not plug in all the way, I noticed that the sheet metal rail that is holding the board is off about 1/2 inch from the slot. this is all the backplain. If you hold down the connector lock it will slip in.,
What's funny is all the lights work when you feed power but the drives don't spin.
If I new what points to test for power on the board maybe I could find out if its me going crazy or I just got a bad batch, I know what you mean about all 5 being bad...
Out of all the systems I have put together this is a first for me.
In my mind I could be wrong but the drives should spin without the sata ports. But then again this is a new
thing for me going this way...
Thanks for the help
Jim
I Just got a message from Norca and this is what he is saying:

"You need order reverse breakout cable to work with RPC-4220.
If you use forward breakout cable, the drive can’t be detected in BIOS.
Maybe the hard drive is in power saving mode, so it doesn’t spin.
It is very low chance all the backplanes are defective."
Do I need this plugged in to have the drives spin?
If so boy this really to me in a spin, But then again this is when
we buy something with no paper work.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:33 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Reverse SAS to sata cables are required to the motherboard and for my SFF-8087 cables I could only get them to work in one direction as well. If I flipped the cable the other way (end plugged into the MV8 now plugged into the backplane and vice versa) it was a no go.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:01 pm 

walkabt wrote:
Reverse SAS to sata cables are required to the motherboard and for my SFF-8087 cables I could only get them to work in one direction as well. If I flipped the cable the other way (end plugged into the MV8 now plugged into the backplane and vice versa) it was a no go.

I just ordered the cables that they request, But they still did not answer my question. I had my son that has the exact
same case try out what I wanted to know. install a motherboard (any) with power supply and plug just the 4pin plug into the backplane nothing else and let me know if the drive spins, He did that and YES the drive spins.
I know its hard to believe but I think I have a bad case. I will wait for the cables to come in and let everyone
know how I made out.
I want to thank cavediver for the help he has given me so far and everyone else out there
Jim

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:21 am 

Are the power cables that cavediver used to hook up the drive cages custom or are they the ones that come with the Corsair-750HX? If not does any one know where I can order those cables?

Is this the same PSU that cavediver used or is this a new rev?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... ir%20HX750

Thanks

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:31 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I custom made the power cables.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:34 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

jim258 wrote:
walkabt wrote:

I just ordered the cables that they request, But they still did not answer my question. I had my son that has the exact
same case try out what I wanted to know. install a motherboard (any) with power supply and plug just the 4pin plug into the backplane nothing else and let me know if the drive spins, He did that and YES the drive spins.
I know its hard to believe but I think I have a bad case. I will wait for the cables to come in and let everyone
know how I made out.
I want to thank cavediver for the help he has given me so far and everyone else out there
Jim

Have you checked the voltage out on your PSU to see if there's voltage on the connector you're using?

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 329 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22  Next