It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:00 am 

Longboat wrote:
Cool. I use a very similar motherboard in my htpc in the living room (GA-MA78G-DS3H). Has worked great for several months now, 24/7, paired with an AMD 4850e processor . However, be careful with the RAM you choose. I used 2x1gb sticks of Crucial "Ballistix" in it and it locked up so badly that I couldn't even get it to POST. RMD'd it to Newegg, same thing happened, and sent it to Gigabyte for service. Gigabyte suggested I use Kingston RAM. Not so much as a hiccup out of it since I followed that advice, FWIW.

The question I am stuck on here is this: Do you plan on simply moving your drives from the ex47x to the diy box and simply updating the drivers, or will you have to purchase a new license of WHS and install it on a new drive? Thanks for your input so far!

-Terry

Thanks for the heads up on the RAM!!! Honestly I haven't quite figured out how I plan on making the move. I was fortunate enough to get an extra copy of WHS so I won't have to purchase an additional license. I think the difference b/w us is your MSS is dead. Mine is still working fine, so I am debating keeping the HDDs in tact in the MSS, build the DIY WHS, slowly add HDDs to the DIY and move the data over. Once I get all the data over from the MSS to the DIY then i will either keep the MSS as some sort of backup or give to a relative. The problem with doing it this way is that it will take me some time as I would have to buy a whole new set of HDDs which would get expensive (right now I have 8.5TB worth of drives in my MSS). I guess what i could do is as I move a folder of media from my MSS to the DIY just shut off duplication on both, this would allow me to get all my data over quicker. Still in the planning stages as you can tell :mrgreen: .

I will let John or Alex write specifically about moving over the C: drive and retaining your current WHS license as I am not a 100% positive. I would like to think you don't need to purchase a new license.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:48 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Thanks, Damian - I look forward to the verdict!

-Terry

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:23 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

I don't think you can "move the C-Drive". THAT will have to be a new installation.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:33 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

JohnBick wrote:
I don't think you can "move the C-Drive". THAT will have to be a new installation.

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well. So if I install a new copy of WHS on a diy box, I should be able to install my old MSS drives (all 3), and have the new WHS install recognize all the files and backups that are there, right? ***please say "right!"***

Thanks!
-Terry

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:42 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Wrong, you have to put the drives in the DIY and then do a Server reinstall and it should recognize the data drives, lay a copy of WHS on the C: drive where you did the original install with the OEM. If you do a New install or try to add them after a new install they will be formatted and data will be gone. Good Luck

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:09 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

BEFORE you do that do take the time to get the DIY unit running with a different disk installed. Make sure you have the necessary drivers and that the hardware is burned in for at least an overnight.

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:22 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Good thinking John, because you only get one shot at the reinstall, so all drivers, etc must be correct. I have done this and messed it up not having the correct storage drivers using F6 twice. Then next time I put the OEM CD in to do a server reinstall, the only option it gave me was new install. I had to do some extra things, most of which I don't remember, to give me the option to do a server reinstall again. If the DIY doesn't require extra storage drivers, you should be ok.

HP EX485, 4 GIG, Q8200S, WHS 2011, ITUNES Server

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:59 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Got it. Of course, I'll be stuck buying a new copy of WHS, though, since my MSS doesn't have a WHS key that I can see stuck onto the box. I am happy to hear that my data is probably not lost, though. That's worth the price paid, I guess.

Thanks for all your help, guys. I'll post again once the box is built and the data is salvaged.
-Terry

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:59 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

The license sticker was on the bottom of my MSS, but I don't know if you can install it on a new DIY unit or not.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:08 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Ha! I looked all over my EX470 but neglected to turn it over. The sticker is there. I'll go with that! Thanks.
-Terry

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:53 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Only reason I saw it was that it used to be on top of a glass top table and I was under there one day and looked up. That's the only time I have seen a Windows COA under a computer that wasn't a laptop (Dell put those in the battery bay on my last couple from them).

Thanks