It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: New Server Build
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:49 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

So I was recently hit by ransomware, it was a Brute force RDP strike. This is a horrible situation and thus accelerating my new server build. This will essentially be my first computer build. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

here is my list of requirements as they stand now. I honestly just want something I can throw just about anything at and not have it choke out:

1 file storage (Docs/Pics/Software/Video)

2 Video server (Plex/Serviio/Airvideo HD remote access)(1080p & 4k as that seems to be the next push)

3 Not a big gamer but I like the concept of AR/VR and I want to be able to do that revolution.

4 Run iTunes more fluidly

5 Remote access (run personal website from my server)

6 https://www.theofficemaven.com/ (install and run office like this)

7 Run drivepool and scanner (current set up doesn't like tons of disc activity so crashes on most scanners)

8 Run home automation (this is iffy but an idea ive been toying with)

9 Home surveillance

10 Encoding music and Videos as archival backup

I cant think of anything else id want to do at this point. but with more power comes more ideas for things to do. I just want to avoid building something awesome and then cant run some new great thing.

Attachments:
File comment: This is my new case
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11970&start=30

The Beast.jpg
The Beast.jpg [ 19.85 KiB | Viewed 128944 times ]
Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: New Server Build
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:14 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Item 8.
I have been using alexa echo devices and they work extremely well.
They use your wifi to interconnect.
However if you loose your internet connection they will not work.
If you get the echo plus it has a built in hub for hue lamps and samsung smart things. But without the factory hub colors are limited.
For some devices you need to install a app.
They are designed for apple or android devices.

Dune HD Connect
Rasberry PI OSMC(KODI)
ReadyNAS RN316
Amazon FireStick
Amazon ECHO
AnyDvD
MyMovies

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:33 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Ive been wanting to look at those solutions. They look awesome.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:47 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

ok here is my question of the month haha

Differences in these?

LGA 2011

LGA 3647

I feel like I should be looking at the 3647 because it is the new thing and future proofing but is that really a thing?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:51 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

That could depend a lot on what operating system your trying to run. Are you wanting to run any versions of Windows Home Server, or a newer Windows Server Essentials? Are you putting this in the Media Smart, or will you be using some other motherboard? The difference between the two of those really boils down to motherboard compatability, and I would say the 3647 might be preferable to the LGA 2011. It looks like the 3647 came out during the skylake generation, and could be the last compatible CPU with older versions of Windows Server. This is how it works for Windows 7 anyway so I would go with the 3647 as long as you think your OS will be compatible. Nice case by the way, I looked for something like that but never could find it so I had to get one with smaller screen.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:24 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Here is what I went with so far. Hardware should be here in the next few weeks

X13SAE-F
I9-12900
2 980 Pro
2x32gb

I think that is it so far, Im excited and scared as this is my very first build ever

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:55 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

T-Bone wrote:
Im excited and scared as this is my very first build ever

:rofl:

Why do I find that hard to believe?

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
Q8200s w/two 30mm cooling fans
4gb Ram
Rear Casecover Cooling Mod

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 9:04 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Weirdly I’ve been in IT for years a this is my first from scratch build. I’ve taken things apart for my job but that’s someone else’s equipment. When it’s your own there’s a little more at stake haha.

Here is my equipment list:

Origenae S21T (finally using that case been sitting in closet)
I9-12900 (should have waited for 13th gen to buy raptor has a nice ring)
X13SAE-F motherboard
Hynix HMCG88MEBEA Memory 32GB DDR5 4800MHz UDIMM MEM-DR532L-HL01-EU48
SeaSonic Prime TX-1000 Titanium (power supply)

Was thinking need some help deciding
Intel arc a380 (GPU for Plex)
Internal data card for more disks an external storage
Anything I’m missing.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:17 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

From the types of stuff you post, I figured IT wasn't just your hobby but didn't consider that doesn't necessarily make you a hardware guy. No offense intended by the emoji, and yes, everything changes when it's yours.

I remember checking out that Origenae S21T case back in the HTPC days. They're over the top for sure with the built-in monitor and all. You're lucky to have one. They're basically unobtanium now.

I ended up with the (only slightly) smaller Silverstone CW02 to build my HTPC back in the day and I'm still using it. I just updated the guts to be able to play Ultra HD Bluray disks. Between DLNA / super limited CPU & mobo support / SGX requirements / HDMI requirements / etc. it was quite an adventure. Basically, the moons had to align before a disk would play because the Bluray Disk Assoc only wants their UHD disks playing on dedicated, stand-alone UHD players. It must be some kind of royalty thing the manufacturers have to pay... I will say this though, the playback off a UHDBD disk is lightyears ahead of what we get with streaming.

If you're planning to drive video with a card, whatever you get make sure it's 2.1 compliant. As streaming & content matures, you'll want the extras it supports (Dynamic HDR, HFR up to 10K @ 120 Hz, DTS-X & eARC for Atmos to name a few).

(edit) I read here https://www.pcgamer.com/intel-arc-gpus-dont-natively-support-hdmi-21/ that the a380 doesn't support HDMI 2.1 only the a7xx does. But this Intel spec page https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/docs/arc-discrete-graphics/a-series/desktop.html indicate all do. However, the little notations are not explained so there could be some unknown caveats. Another nail in the Intel graphics coffin is that clearly, they only support 8 bit color @ 60Hz (which is so 2003). Today, most higher end TV's, monitors, & in particular the consumer grade RTX cards supports 10 bit.

As an aside, my personal HTPC build currently only has integrated video. To play UHDBD on a PC, (among other build restrictions) you can only run the signal thru a gen 7-10 CPU (w/SGX). And, you can only use a 100/200/300/400 mobo that has SGX enabled. The board must also have a LSPcon chip to run the mandatory minimum of HDMI 2.0. Of all the boards out there, only about a dozen ITX boards fit the criteria. And, if you want ATX there were only 3. I ended up with an ATX EVGA z370 Classified K that supports HDMI 2.0b. ATX gave me the extra slots to run 5.1 thru my SB AE-7 and a graphics card. The one Asus & Supermicro board that works now cost north of $500 (and that's for a used one).

For streaming or playback, I too want to push that signal thru a card. So I was thinking a RTX3050 / 3060 would be more than enough to do the trick since the RTX2xxx series doesn't have HDMI2.1.

And with graphics card costs continuing to crash, fingers crossed that it won't be long before a good RTX can be had for well under $300.

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:41 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Yeah I might put off the video card a bit to see how just integrated graphics goes. Now the big question pony up for ws2022 or install win11 for my server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:14 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

You sure have the hardware needed to run s22.

I'm still content & happy with my upgraded MSS box, so I've personally been toyin' with the idea of upgrading my HP box from WHS11 to s19 w/ the office maven plugin. But with s19/s22 standard (which is needed with the office maven plugin, isn't there a requirement for both a server key as well as client CAL's?

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:02 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I’ve talked to a few legit licensors a told them it was for home use a they were like meh on cals. I guess it’s just a piece of paper you need if Microsoft asks. Being a home deployment I’m not sure they would even ask.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:48 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Its alive! I have 3 SSDs and 5 HDDs installed and some of my data moved over. So making progress

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:27 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

So I'm at the point where I need to add additional storage but I'm out of Sata spots on my MB. I was looking at an LSI 9400 16i to allow the additional drives. I have 2 questions

1) will this allow me to plug in my sans Digital I used with the MediaSmartServer? I use DrivePool and just need it to be JBOD no raid.

2) is there benefit to run all my HDDs off of the 9400? I mean I was planning on splitting them up.

I need the sans Digital for Back up only storage. I have a SuperMicro AOM-SAS3-8i8E cable adapter to get the external slots. when i looked for internal/external cards they were spendy with few choices. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:22 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

T-bone,

Thats a nice storage controller. If you can run all drives thru the same controller you'll likely experience faster data transfer times. What is the interface support you'd need if using your San Digital?

ex49x/v1 (toyin w/Vail)
VGA
4gb Ram

Thanks