It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:48 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

With the current issues with my EX-495 its pushing my more and more to new hardware. I have thought about either a Mac Pro, HP Gen 8, or a DIY rack mount build. My current set up is a Ex-495 with a Q9550s processor and a 5 bay san digital esata enclosure. These are the things I would like in my next machine ( give or take):

1) Equal or higher performance CPU
2) CPU Capable of multiple 1080p streams (including Audio) Needs to support x265 and 10bit
3) File server of course
4) Hot swappable HDD (I know the Gen8 doesn't support this)
5) All Drives in same case
6) Small foot print if not rack mount (have home setup to garage where my rack is)
7) Should be #1 i don't want my power bill to go thru the roof. I would like to keep power usage at around the usage of the enclosure and EX-495.

I currently use Serviio and Air Media HD to stream my media to iPhones and TV. The current processor doesn't do much stuttering if at all which is nice when watching a movie. Currently I'm having issue with remote access on WS2012e R2 but I would like remote access. Help pointing me in the right direction or suggestions on what i should do is greatly appreciated. With tax time coming up i should have a little extra coin to make something decent if not nice.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:07 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

T-Bone wrote:
4) Hot swappable HDD (I know the Gen8 doesn't support this)
This is true, but it has expansion-slots for PCI-E cards, that will support hotswap. And that is all it takes.

I just don't visit these forums often enough, i'm sorry. Had i seen it sooner, i'd let you know, at this point it's like 6 months late. If nothing else, it might help someone else.
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:19 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I looked at the Gen 8 and by the time you add all the extra stuff and upgrade everything they are very pricey and still don't hold enough harddrives.
No sale here....

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:20 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

HP's Microserver G8 is cheap for a reason, it's generally minimally equipped. But it should still outperform a Q9550s, and the upgrade to support hotswap is, at half the cost of the microserver, a bit pricey, but still shouldn't break the bank. It's the 4, or 5 drives, (4 hot'swappable, at most) that will run up the cost.
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:15 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Mr. B thanks for the info. Gardian your right it was starting to get a little costly. I was able to sell the unit for a little bit more then I had spent on it so that's cool. I figured I might as well build an get the processor I want instead of swapping CPUs later. I'm looking at a gimmicky case for my build its a little pricy. We will see

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:10 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I was looking at one of the LARGE cases (about 4 feet tall double wide) and build a server in one side and a gamer in the other side but I believe the case was like $800 so was just a dream.

What OS are you thinking of running, It looks like both WHS V1 and 2011 might not work with this new win 10 update.
See here:
http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=14355

Now I'm glad I did not do the Win10 upgrade, Free, I knew there would be a catch.
Good Luck on your build.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks