It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:24 pm 

Hey guys,

I apologize if this has already been asked a million times, but I looked and didn't see any posts about this. I was recently given an Hp Mediasmart Server EX85 that contained no hard drives or any software disks, just the server itself, and have some questions about getting some use out of it. I would simply like to add some drives to it and basically use it as a USB storage device accessed by USB cable instead of having to connect it to my router, if possible. I have a few WD MyBook USB drives and would like to use the server in the same way. Is this possible? If so, how would I go about doing this? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you all in advance!

Note: I also posted this question in the Hardware section, but just realized this may have been the best place to ask this question.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:32 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Cheez-Its Addict wrote:
I was recently given an Hp Mediasmart Server EX85 that contained no hard drives or any software disks, just the server itself, and have some questions about getting some use out of it.
You'll need a means to get the VGA working, so you can install "anything" on it, or, use the setup disks to install WHS v1 on it. Since you are a bit unclear on what model it is, or at least Google has no idea what model a EX85 is, i'm assuming you got a EX485. You might want to clarify, and then we can go about trying to figure out exactly what media you need to get it running...

Cheez-Its Addict wrote:
I would simply like to add some drives to it and basically use it as a USB storage device accessed by USB cable instead of having to connect it to my router, if possible.
Yeah... That ain't gonna happen. If you want a USB unit, get something else. I'm sure there are people that would love to take this unit of your hands, and figure out a way to bring it back to life. I somehow doubt they will be willing to part with a lot of money for the chance, since it's becoming quite old at this point, and if it runs or not is at this point, a great unknown.
B!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:47 pm 

Hi Cheez-Its Addict welcome to the forums,

If your just looking for a 4 Bay USB enclosure then sell that server and just buy one since a 4 bay enclosure new can be found for around $75 and you should be able to get more for the EX485 but the issue will be with knowing if its functional or not and knowing the exact server model you have. If you have the disk set with the server its a big plus but it would be a good idea to see if its functional or not and for that you will need an 80gb or larger hard drive to actually set the server up. Its work more working then selling it as an untested unit.

I have in the past converted a MSS to become a Port Multiplier or 4 Bay eSATA Enclosure but to be honest its a process and requires additional time and parts but you would devalue the unit if its a working unit so its only viable if the unit is not working but it will cost you more to do it then if you just bought a new 4 bay enclosure and many can be connected using USB or eSATA while others are just USB or eSATA.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:53 pm 

Thanks, guys! Yes, it is an EX485 and it does work. In fact, it was working the day it was given to me. The previous owner took the 2 or 3 disks out to use in a new custom desktop build, and had no more use for the server itself. He even gave me the box it came in, just didn't have the software disk. I was just thinking I could use it like a regular USB drive sitting next to my desk with 4 drives installed in it. Wanted to ask if this was possible before I bought the hard drives.

I got this pic from the internet but looks exactly like the one I have.

Again, thank you guys very much!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:48 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

No you can't use it as a USB enclosure.
It is a PC basically, it has a motherboard, Bios, cpu, ram just like any other pc. It needs an OS to run and the usb ports are for it to see usb drives attached to it.

You are looking for something like this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817576001&cm_re=medisonic-_-17-576-001-_-Product

Goodluck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks