It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:48 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I've owned my ex490 for a couple years now and while I like the hardware, I've seen the software support decay and honestly I've lost interest in Windows in general. I still use the machine as a home server, but now I'd like to install Ubuntu Server. This is intended to be a simple unit just for easy file storage, no frills. I've chosen Ubuntu because it is a known quantity and there is decent support online. That being said, I'm having trouble installing it.

I'm trying to do this w/o purchasing a debug cable for now, so please be patient, I just don't have $80 for it at the moment. I've setup a basic small partition on a spare drive using my desktop with Ubuntu Server installed, but I'm having issues getting my MSS to boot from said drive. I'm using this article, https://wiki.amahi.org/index.php/Instal ... art_Server, among others to try and getting an initial setup running so I can ssh in and takeover from there.

So far, when I insert the drive w/ Ubuntu Server on it in the bottom rack and start up the machine, it spools up and just sits idleI. The bottom lights are all blue and the health status is flashing blue. Any suggestions on booting up this sucker before I save up for the VGA cable

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:50 am 

I don't have an exact answer to your question but if you use the site search you may find what your looking for. Others have install software like FreeNAS onto their MSS Servers and one of the key things I think you need to look at is drivers but I know its been done and while I would recommend a DEBUG Cable to make the task easier I do believe it can be done without a DEBUG Cable.

As for the LED's on your EX490 well they will not function as your use to because those are controlled with software and drivers and I am uncertain if anyone has resolved that issue on a Linux based OS like Ubuntu.

Any information you find pertaining to the EX490, EX495 or x510 will all apply to your EX490 as they all have the same motherboard.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks