It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:42 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I need to replace my 470 WHSv1 server. I have been doing lots of reading and research and figuring out the parts I want. I originally thought I wanted to build a small server as close in size to the 470, but once I started figuring out what my plans were I scrapped that plan. I have since bumped my build to full ATX and Tower case.

OS I am going back and forth between WS2012E and WS2008R2. I was originally going to go with a RAID10 but am now thinking I might be better off with StableBit DrivePool. I like the idea of being able to move a drive into an external enclosure to ready data if anything happens.

Here are the parts I am thinking of going with:

CPU: Intel i7 3770 - already purchased
Case: NZXT CA-H630F-M1
Motherboard: AS Rock Z77 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill F3-1600C9D-16GXM matched 8gb pair total 16GB - already purchased
SATA Card: HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL
SATA Cable: monoprice 8186
SSD: Corsair CSSD-F128GBGS-BK 128GB
HDD: Seagate ST3000VN000 3TB
PSU: Corsair HX650

My questions are what advantage/disadvantage for 2012E have over 2008R2? RAID 10 vs DrivePool? What is the overhead of DrivePool? I know RAID10 is half the storage.

I am looking to run Plex, store family photos, movies, data, etc. I want to be able to backup multiple computers (Win7 and OSX). I used to be able to use my WHSv1 for TimeMachine and want to be able to do the same thing again.

I know I will have more questions and thoughts as I get in the parts over the next 1-2 weeks and begin the build process. I will be taking pictures and will post them as well as the final build components with links and prices once completed.

I have been reading several posts on some of the builds from Damian and Comp plus several others.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:39 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I think OS choice is the hardest part of the build. It's hard to replace whs v1 cause it just worked so well, I think.
Whs 2011 will get ya going with larger drives and stablebit I think is the way to go for the storage pool. It is more like whs v1, win2011 is cheap $50 and lots of people are staying with it.

Win2012E is pricy, has some extra stuff and I would still use stablebit.

IMHO there is no good replacement for WHS v1, I am still running it and will be for many years. I even tried to install the OEM version of whs v1 on my DIY but I could not find drivers so gave up and put 2012E on. Wish I would have known about 2012 R2 but oh well, that's microsoft, I hear they are already talking about windows 9 April of 2015 and want to forget about win8 already.

Comp1962 has done alot of work with 2012E VPN's and Nic teaming, I would defer to him.

If you read my DIY (x-710) you will see where I upgraded to an icydock ssd mirror setup for the os and the used stablebit for storage. But this is for down the road, as I said I plan on running whs v1 into the ground, heck at this point I just upgraded all my stuff to win7 except for my restoring laptop which has winxp pro just for loading servers.

I guess what I'm saying is for $50 bucks, why not try 2011, it's still a good option for the money.

Let us know which way you went.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:15 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

I read your thread and purchased the ICY Dock for half the price that Newegg was selling it for. I bought it on eBay FROM Newegg! Glad they give such awesome discounts on eBay and not on their own site.

DrivePool I am pretty much sold on at this point I think. Being able to pull a drive from my v1 server and read it on any of my other machines was a huge thing for me. Being able to do that on the new server will give me the same peace of mind. I had a Win2k3 server with a full domain and RAID a long time ago. Retired that server a few years before I got my 470. I do miss the domain from that which is why I have also been toying with 2008 R2 which can also use DrivePool.

I need to do more research with regard to my 2 OSX machines and both Time Machine and using them in a Domain environment for file storage.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:28 pm 

In order to fully use the ICY Dock the SATA Port its connected to must be Port Multiplier Aware however to use it in a RAID 1 Mirror this may not be necessary as the software that ships with the device may create the RAID 1 Array, I actually need to get another one to play with but I do like these devices.

I would take a close look at the motherboard SATA ports to make certain you will be able to use them in a manor you intend on using them for in that they appear to be all RAID yet you may want to use them in JBOD so if you want JBOD you will need to know it these can be used in that manor and the answer for that is with the INTEL Chip Set. Also its good you have chosen a CPU with integrated graphics because your motherboard requires this on the processor.

I installed 8GB in my server and yet it just uses slightly more then 2GB so your 16GB is more then enough. If your going to be playing with VM then the 16GB will come in real handy. I am not a VM person but I do see the value in doing it but have yet to tackle it because I have way to much going on right now.

That enclosure looks sweet and I am certain you will enjoy using it very much. I have a Fractal Design Define R4 coming in tomorrow that's similar to that enclosure. I would be very interested in hearing from you how it works out for you after you have your server running. I actually like to see the enclosures before I actually purchase them so next time I am out and about I will look for one of those because I liked what I saw and while its a bit more expensive then the one I just purchased it could be a better enclosure so I really want to look at it.

I am not certain about your choice of a cable but just make sure its an SFF-8087 Forward Breakout Cable because these cables are directional. A forward break out cable is on where you connect the SFF-8087 connector to the controller and the SATA ends to the drives or sata ports on a backplane. The Reverse Breakout cable is where you connect the SATA ports on the cable to the motherboard or sata ports on a controller and the SFF-8087 end to a backplane or external connection which support SFF-8087 connections. I would recommend you find out as much information about your RocketRaid Card to see what issues if any others have experienced with it regarding the OS you have chosen to run and to see if there were problems, what corrective action was taken to correct the issue and for the most part its about the drivers. So find out before you try to put it to use. If it turns out to be basically a plug and play device then that would be very good to let others know as it will help those with future builds. I very much love the controllers with the SFF-8087 ports. Also if down the road you want to add a 2nd or third check to see how these cards are suppose to be configured and find out if they may encounter conflicts with each other and what if any configuration may need to be set to get them to properly work together.

Aside from all those things to look at you should be in good shape but its always best to verify to make sure your build will be solid and I am sure you have already done this.

I do have my WS2012E Server setup as a Domain and the VPN setup is fairly simple and straight forward an this is setup for the client when the client software is installed. I did have one client where the VPN would not work properly so I had to setup a similar but different VPN configuration but my network is much different them others because I access multiple servers from a single network and so some of the issues I run into that others do not have to do with my setup so they are sort of self inflicted. I find the VPN connections allow me to easily access my data directly off the server and allow me to keep my notebook SSD Drive fairly clean. Down side is if you do not have an internet connection its basically useless.

NIC Teaming I have been doing for quite sometime both on the client and server side but WS2012E does have a NIC Teaming setup and its fairly easy to setup but it presented issues for me so I had to discontinue running it. I had much better luck with the Intel Driver Software for my Intel NICs but in WS2012E MS keeps changing my NIC drivers over to the MS Drivers which I found annoying. I have to get back to it but it occurred to me that I could very well dedicate specific NICs for specific applications so I have to think about that. I did run NIC Teaming on WHS2011 using the Intel Drivers and it worked perfectly. I have to admit I still have much to learn and so I read as much as I can when I am tackling a project and one of the things I have to look at is having the server be the DNS Server on my network but so far I have left this task to be handled by the router because that works for me.

Good Luck with your build!

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:20 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

To answer a few of your questions and comments.

The ICYDock that I had purchased turned out to be the wrong model, sent back and will be getting the right one. Not sure if I am going to use it for the OS drives or not. Might just use the case since it has 3 locations behind the MB for SSD drives and this way it doesn't take up any room for future expansion.

I changed the OS drive option from the Corsair I noted above to a pair of Samsung drives, don't have the model at my fingertips at the moment.

I will be doing NIC teaming in the future, want to get the server up and running then down the road I will add that.

Something I want to look into is putting SharePoint onto the server even though I know M$ says it isn't compatible... there are always ways. :-) I will be enabling VPN so I can remote into it from work and when I travel as needed. I cannot wait to get this up and running with Plex, it never worked well on my MSS unfortunately.

The parts have begun arriving so hopefully I will be able to begin assembly Mon or Tue night next week. I will of course take pics and include them in the thread. I will also post prices and where I got everything.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:45 am 

Just want to clarify something Remote Access and VPN are two different things. Remote Access will allow you to access the server and allow you to transfer files, stream media and what not. VPN allows you a direct connection to the server so that it will appear as an integral part or you client. In WS2012 the VPN will allow you to backup your client and you can access the file shares the same way you do when your at home. Its very cool and once you have VPN working you will fall in love with it but to get this working.

There are multiple ways to get a VPN Setup with WHSv1 & WHS2011 as well and some of that has been discussed in the forums.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:41 am 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Appreciate the info, I know the difference between VPN and Remote Access. I plan on doing both depending on the need at any given moment.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:48 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I would throw in if you are thinking win2012Essentials you might as well go for the R2 version.
Win2012R2Essentials.
Had I of known Microsoft was going to come out with another version that supports hyperV I would have held my cash.
But that is microsoft. I am running a VM on win2012E with VMware and it's working good so far.

I will wait awhile and see if they pull any other rabbits out of their hats before spending hundreds of dollars on a version that should have been a cheap upgrade. :crazy:

You can download the evaluation versions and play with them for like 6 months, full deal, I should have stayed with it till MS made up their minds.

Goodluck :cheers:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:55 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Well I was hoping to be able to begin my build tonight or tomorrow, unfortunately I cannot. Newegg messed up the most important piece of the entire build process... they put a hold on shipping the server case! lol They claimed an issue with my credit card, even though I ordered a few other items with the case and those not only shipped, they arrived today! I spoke with them and they apologized. They said since it's shipping out of NJ I should have it by Friday, so the build should begin on Saturday.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:33 pm 

Only once did I have an issue like that with Newegg and I have no clue what that was about but I know how annoying it can be when it happens. Interesting enough it was an enclosure I brought in for a build.

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5

Thanks