It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:36 pm 

I am looking for help on creating a in-car media system. I would like to have 4 to 6 screens and each screen should be able to connect to the server and play any movie, music or playing a game. I have looked at several dealerships and non of them seem to have clue beyond putting in a DVD and pressing play. I have found 1 company that will load all my movies on there server but I would have to reload all my movies again [url]/www.fusionrd.com/mobile_server.htm[/url] (no longer valid). Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:18 am 

After about a year of working on this project I believe I have a solution. New technologies help make the solution clearer. Here is what I came up with.

Linksys EA4500
1 TB portable USB Hard Drive
5 Android Tablets
DICE android app (to play movies in MKV format)

I used the Linksys straight out of the box because I don't plan on connecting it to the internet. I plugged my USB drive to the back of the Linksys. Then I took my tablets and connected to the name of the wireless. Started the DICE player and connected to the Linksys name and I could see all the movies. I was able to use 3 devices with 3 different movies playing at the same time (need more devices to see what the limit is).

The cost is $1200 or depending on the equipment. I am going to take the EA4500 back and get the EA 6500 ($50 more) because it has 2 USB ports.

The only thing I don’t have is a movie wall. If anyone has a suggestion please let me know.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:19 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Wow, I got to say this is very cool, you have made the car dvd players look way old school. 8)
I could see this setup with a big LCD in a van. Be traveling in style on those long trips.
Very cool, thx for sharing the idea, I would have never thought of it.
My van has a ac/dc inverter so I would have the power to run it.
>>Thinking<< You know they have routers that you can plug in a usb cell connection, you could have a mobile hotspot with movies.
Wow! I could spend some serious cash on this ideier. :lol:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:10 pm 

Have you actually tried using the hotspot while traveling in a car? I actually tried video conferencing, web cam on the dash and all. Works great until the signal drops then you have to restart the software you were running which if your alone means you have to pull over to do it.

Ok ok so why was I doing this you might ask. Well someone in China I know wanted to see the USA so I setup a netbook, hotspot and webcam and drove around. I thought it was a cool idea but its dangerous in the Metro Atlanta area to pull your car over to the side of the road. Drivers here are as bad as Boston Drivers only in the Boston Area people travel down the breakdown lane using it as a traffic lane especially on 128 if you know the area.

Then the next issue is the cost of data when you pass your limits. Back then I had an unlimited data plan and used a MiFi not a cell phone.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:43 pm 

I am actually thinking along the same lines as well since we will have to purchase the dreaded mini van soon :shock:

Although in my case I think it will be easier since I think the mini van will have a dvd connection (which I will swap out with one of my media players with an internal or usb drive)

As far as playback on Android I use Mizuu (jukebox view)+ BS Player, Gives me a great looking UI and handles my mkvs without issue.

You could also look at XBMC for Android but I had mixed results with (worked great on my wife's Google Nexus 7 but not on my Transformer)

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:54 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Never thought about dropout, that would suck. I hardly ever had dropout with my analog phone, but it didn't have internet :=)
Someday we will have an uninterrupted connection to the world, that will be cool.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:57 pm 

Gardian wrote:
Never thought about dropout, that would suck. I hardly ever had dropout with my analog phone, but it didn't have internet :=)
Someday we will have an uninterrupted connection to the world, that will be cool.

I use my phone all the time connected to my car stereo via BT to stream music and it is not uncommon to get dropouts. I would think video would be much worse to deal with then music

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks