It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:01 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Well, after years of excellent backups, file storage and multimedia streaming I am forced to move on to other hardware.
I started with one of the first Hp EX470s' - upgraded memory and cpu -- then move to an EX495 with upgraded memory and external esata storage tower with additional drives.
Well, for about the last month the EX495 has started randomly dropping drives - telling me they are bad one day and good the next. Likely a power supply issue I guess. Perhaps 8 drives were too much for the EX495 to handle?

Either way I have decided to semi-retire the EX495 and use it for incidental backups and development system backups (ones that can be lost with little harm).

I am so far very pleased with the replacement I have chosen to be my primary backup, file storage, and multimedia server.
I bought a Synology DiskStation DS1512+ and it's expansion 5 bay unit the DX510. Easily as much as 1.5 times the last WHS EX495 in cost.
Besides getting RAID 5 protection you get the built-in DiskStation Manager software (DSM). Quite impressive with out-of-the-box support for: File Browser, FTP Server, Mail Server, Web Station (up to 30 websites), Surveillance Station, Photo Station, Download Station, Audio Station, DLNA®/UPnP® Media Server, and iTunes® Server. Plus built-in packages for antivirus software, DHCP Server, Mail Station, Surveillance Station (IP cameras), VPN Server, and Clod Station.

Dual core low power CPU, 3 GB RAM, 2x Gigabit LAN, 4x USB 2.0, 2x USB 3.0, and 2x eSata ports -- this is the hardware and software that the next WHS machine should have been.

I'll keep you informed but this really looks like best replacement I could have hoped for. Sad to put the EX495 to part time use -- but it has server me well and saved my bacon too many times to count - and for that a big thanks!

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank Loren for this post
yakuza

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:40 am 

Hi Loren,

Good Luck with your new DiskStation and I hope it servers you well. Please do come back from time to time and share your experiences with it.

As for your random drive drop outs I suspect its occuring in your TR4M-B and could be either the eSATA connection or with the PSU in the unit itself or just sensitive to certain drive conditions and loads placed on the PSU. Should you want to explore this let me know.

I am still running an EX470 on my end for certain client backups mostly offsite clients and a few other misc tasks along side 3 other servers which have their own dedicated tasks. I can tell you that I do like Port Multipliers and have found them useful as a docking station which is eactly what I use my modified MSS Enclsosure for which have the same back plane as the TR4M-B.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:38 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks I'll keep folks here posted.
As I said though the EX495 is not getting retired completely yet - just getting less to do.

Thanks