It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:11 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:22 am 

Hey Guys I just Put together a new 12 bay server. I am having a problem with the bIOs reconizing the 8 sata ports off of my SUPER MICRO MV8.
Any help would be great. I am pretty much stuck right now.
Thanks

This is what I have.

I Only have 2 wd drives at the moment. one is a wd20ears and the other is a wd20earx

2 x G,SKILL DDR3-1333 4GB
1 x CASE AZZA| CSAZ-910 BK RT
3 x CABLE NIPPON|SATA-L0.5-R R
1 x MB BIOSTAR A880G+ AM3 RTL
1 x RAID CRAD SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-MV8
2 x CABLE 3WARE|CBL-SFF8087OCF-05M
3 x SERVER ACC NORCO|SS-400 R
1 x PSU CORSAIR|430W CMPSU-430CXV2 R
1 x CPU AMD|SEM 145 2.8G AM3 RT

Last edited by SAMURAIJONES on Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:34 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Hi and welcome to MediaSmartServer.net!

I pulled up the Super Micro MV8; I assume you've got this card: http://www.supermicro.com/products/acce ... T2-MV8.cfm

I noticed right away that this card has a downloadable BIOS firmware, which says to me that the card uses its own BIOS. I work with Dell and HP servers all the time, and it's not at all uncommon for different I/O controllers to have their own BIOS, in addition to the server's own BIOS.

Just as an example, we have four HP DL380 (2 x G6, 2 x G7) servers at my work. Each has 16 SAS hard drives installed in it. When the machine goes through POST, I have the option to go into the main BIOS setup. If I do this, none of my 16 drives show up. That's because, during POST, on the screen I will see BIOS options for the integrated P410i RAID adapter, followed immediately by the BIOS option for the add-on P410 RAID adapter. If I press the appropriate key when prompted, I will be taken into the separate BIOS utility and be able to configure the selected adapter...and there I see either the 8 drives connected to the P410i, or the 8 drives connected to the P410, depending on the controller I selected.

My recommendation to you is to keep a close eye on the screen while the server is POSTing and you should see something similar to "Super Micro SATA BIOS" -- along with a designated key to press (i.e. DEL, F2). Most of these BIOSes usually give you a window of 3-5 seconds in which you need to press the key.

If you're already getting into the Super Micro's BIOS and still not seeing anything, it's possible you won't see anything if there aren't any drives connected. You can always connect one drive just as a quick test.

HP EX490, 4GB, E5300, 15TB - Server 2012 - Sharing and Streaming
HP EX487, 4GB, E5300, 13TB - Server 2012 Essentials - Backups

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank msawyer91 for this post
SAMURAIJONES
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:10 am 

I can get into the BIOS of the card. RAID CRAD SUPERMICRO AOC-SASLP-M IV8. It aslo does see the other eight drives. When I try to run my checks in unraid, only the mobo sata ports show. I know i m missing something, I JUST DONT KNOW WHAT.

Thanks