It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:02 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: My first server build
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:40 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hi All! My first post after joining the mediaspmartserver forums. You folks really seem to know your stuff!

So after weeks of reading various forums about NAS and servers, I decided to go with a server. Read a few blogs about building your own server, made a list of the important features, and ordered the parts:

(1) Microsoft Windows Home Server Operating System Software with Power Pack 3, 32-bit, 1Server, 10 CAL, License and Media, P/N:CCQ-00099. OEM

(1) ASUS M4N68T-M V2 Socket AM3 uATX Motherboard, NVIDIA nForce 630a Chipset, Supports AMD Socket AM3 CPUs, Dual DDR3 1800(O.C.), SATA 3Gb/s RAID, PCIe 2.0 x16, Onboard Video, Gigabit LAN

(1) AMD Athlon II X2 250 Regor 3.0GHz 4000MHz Socket AM3 Dual-Core 45nm Processor ADX250OCGMBOX

(2) HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.C HDS721010CLA332 (0F10383) 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

(1) Kingston ValueRAM 2GB DDR3 1333 System Memory, 240-pin DIMM, CL9, non-ECC, Unbuffered. Model: KVR1333D3N9/2G.

(1)Black Broadway.Com Corp 943 Steel m-ATX Computer Case, w/ 500W PSU and Card Reader, P/N: 943PK-CardRead

(2) Masscool 120mm Case Fan, Ball bearing, 3 / 4""Pin, Wire Coating, Model: FD12025B1L34

Plus a few cable accessories.

Now its up and running. So far, so good.

The main use of the server is to store family video and music. I want to stream the video to the TV. Been doing some tests with a lap top to test streaming video capabilities. Using a wireless G connection, 640 video streams perfect, no issues at all. Tried a 1080p video (.MOV format) at 30 fps, and surprisingly, it did play without freezing, but there were many audio dropouts and some frames skipped. The laptop has limited graphic capabilites, and the CPU was running at 100% sometimes, mostly at 95%, and 45-54Mbps on the wireless connection. So if wireless G does that well, I'm sure wireless N will do the job just fine, right?

Now I need a good wireless media player that supports wireless N and 1080p. Any suggestions?

For the music part, all the music files were moved to the server. Now I'm wondering what the best music interface is for laptops? Right now I'm using Windows Media Player, but it doesn't offer much in the way of organization and maint. Is iTunes a better choice? And what is iTunes server I hear about? I couldn't find anything specific to iTunes that ran on the server itself.

Thanks!

Mark

My Server : Case - Broadway Com Corp, m-ATX, 500W Motherboard - ASUS M4N68T-M V2, SATA, Gigabit LAN. CPU - AMD Athlon II 3.0GHz Dual-Core :Disk Drives - Two 1TB Hitachi Deskstar 3.0Gb/s, Memory - 2GB DDR3. O/S - WHS PP3.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:59 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

First, congratulations on your build!!!

If you are only streaming family videos over wireless N, your chances are "ok" that you may not experience stuttering/dropouts/etc, as I assume these are low-bitrate home videos that you are referring to.

If you plan to stream any high-bitrate blu-ray movies, you MAY be in for a difficult time doing so wirelessly. I'm no expert, and certainly some have success, but I've read many posts on avsforum on the streamer threads about problems with wireless streaming of 1080p blu ray quality material. I assume you have no means (or do not desire) to hard-wire a streamer?

As to a media streamer, I haven't kept up with it, but the Netgear NeoTV550 came out in December and "spec-wise" should fit the bill, though it doesn't have built-in wireless (I'm not aware of many (any?) streamers that do), so you'll need to plan to get a wireless adapter as well. I personally am a fan of the Dunes, but they are on the higher end of the price scale (what's the saying - you get what you pay for). Each of these have their faults, so you should check the specs carefully (particularly with respect to .MOV support); don't believe it even if the manufacturer says it's supported - read the forums carefully.

I can't help you with music as I use a separate whole-house audio system, but I believe that iTunes server is simply an aggregator of your various iTunes accounts on different networked pc's so that an entire library exists on your WHS. You setup your iTunes on your pc to sync with the iTunes server on WHS and it copies your library to the WHS "iTunes server". Other than that, I don't know much about it.

Norco 4220, Supermicro board/SAS cards, 4GB ram, WHS 2011, Stablebit DrivePool, 64tb storage (production)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:56 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks Mike!

I think the 1080p video is high bitrate, even higher than blueray. Seems that a steady 60Mbps throughput will handle 1080p without freezing, dropouts, etc, based on what I read on some media forums. So a good wireless N connection should work, no?

I live in a rural area, and my closest neighbor is about 800 feet away, so I don't have the congestion that is common in condo conditions. Think that will help with a good connection and high speeds?

My Server : Case - Broadway Com Corp, m-ATX, 500W Motherboard - ASUS M4N68T-M V2, SATA, Gigabit LAN. CPU - AMD Athlon II 3.0GHz Dual-Core :Disk Drives - Two 1TB Hitachi Deskstar 3.0Gb/s, Memory - 2GB DDR3. O/S - WHS PP3.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:32 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Congarts also on the new build. The only advise I can give is, if at all possible RUN WIRE! I have wire to every room in the house, and only connect wireless with devices that are only wireless (iTouch, iPad, laptops). And even with my laptops I have a wired drop at my favorite chair so i can plug in just for a much faster transfer rate. Signifficant difference when I am uploading movies to the server. All my media devices (PCH A-200 and WD Live Hub) and PS3/XBOX/Wii, which are wireless capable, I connect with a Cat5 wire. :banana: :banana: :banana:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:19 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

All I can say, if you're determined to go wireless, then give it a whirl. You've only got time and money to waste!

But I'm with Rhinoevans - I have everything possible wired, only the things that are wireless ONLY are wireless. I even bought the adapter for the Wii so I could hardwire it. I'm not a fan of wireless.

Norco 4220, Supermicro board/SAS cards, 4GB ram, WHS 2011, Stablebit DrivePool, 64tb storage (production)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:50 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ok, I'll give the wireless a try first. If it doesn't do better than 100Mbps, then a cat5 cable can be run. The main reason for going wireless is the family room is on a concrete floor, so its difficult to run a wire without it being seen, especially when there are doors and other obstacles in the way. If a wire is needed, it will have to run outside, then come in the wall behind the TV. Trying to avoid having to do the outside run due to decks and more outside interference.

There is cat5 through out the house, most of it is no longer used since wireless came into its own. Unfortunately, the family room never got wire run to the far side where its needed.

BTW, Wireless N is 300Mbps, so it should outperform a 10/100 wire connection, no?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:52 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

From what I've read, yes, with the caveat that it can probably only handle a single stream (meaning you shouldn't expect to play a file in one room while someone else is streaming another file in a different room).

It's a bit dated (from 2008) but still addresses early N specification, so worth a read (supports your theory that wireless should be enough for HDTV):

http://www.osnews.com/story/19748/Wired_vs_Wireless_Sometimes_There_s_No_Substitute_for_a_Cable

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:32 pm 

What did you do for Drivers. The Driver disk does not have any 2003 Server drivers support, and the ASUS Site does not either. The RAID controller was detected at install, but once the system booted into the OS the RAID controller on the mobo was 1 "unknown device" in device manager.

As well as the audio device other PCI Bridge Device (probably the gig lan card) and SM Bus Controller

thanks,
J

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:24 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Quote:
What did you do for Drivers. The Driver disk does not have any 2003 Server drivers support, and the ASUS Site does not either. The RAID controller was detected at install, but once the system booted into the OS the RAID controller on the mobo was 1 "unknown device" in device manager.

As well as the audio device other PCI Bridge Device (probably the gig lan card) and SM Bus Controller

thanks,
J

I loaded the drivers that came with the Asus mb. They support the boards hardware. WHS works fine with it, including the gig lan and bus controller. They are not faatures of WHS. They are hardware owned by the MB, so the manufactures drivers must be used.

Thanks