It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:23 pm 

I was sitting here looking at my retired Vail Mini Server and was curious about what I was going to do with it. Now this year I had converted 2 MSS Enclosures to become MSS Port Multipliers and with that it occured to me that on each unit was a WHS COA Key and I was curious if I could put that to use.

So I took out my WHS OEM Discs and started to install WHS v1 into the server I built to run VAIL and the Keys worked like a charm and now I have a WHS v1 MiniServer that I really do not need but I figured I would play with it to handle a few things like FTP and to run a Video Confrence Area I been running off my primary server to take some misc load off it.

To do this of course you would need a set of WHS Discs and I am curious if you were to download the Trial Discs if you could use the KEY on the bottom of say a failed MediaSmart Server and simply perform a server recovery to bring your server back but in other hardware. I am not certain this can be done but in theory I do not see why it could not be done and if I am correct then you could get you server back online using other hardware in the event you were not able to find a replacement MSS Enclosure to pop your drives in.

The entire point of this exercise is to demonstrate there is some light at the end of the tunnel should you be running a HP MSS and it fails.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:00 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I look forward to you awnser. I have looked and found the (key) on both of mine for later.
I have found and downloaded the WHS disk set w PP1 that are not trial and am still looking for the set with PP3.

Always looking towards the future. Thankyou for your work. Your non pooled suggestion saved my data twice :beerme:

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks