It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:12 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Hello all, I have changed gears into buying a MSS into trying to build one to save some money. But I have no idea how to do this. I have a freind that has built a few computers that is going to help me but had a couple quick questions. Understand my needs..maybe six bays, enough proccessing power to stream (not encode) HD content WIRED...a system that will run itunes so I can share with other computers on network.

1= What are the BIGGEST difference between building a computer vs building a server?? I would assume ventilation/fans would be one.
2= Minus hard drives, what would be the general cost of parts....case= $100, fans= $20..etc
3=Ive looked on this site for a step by step guide but its greek to me, is there something that Im not seeing??

Thanx for all the help....

Processor= AMD Phenom 2 Black Edition Multi-Core
Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:50 am 

katpeeler wrote:
Hello all, I have changed gears into buying a MSS into trying to build one to save some money. But I have no idea how to do this. I have a freind that has built a few computers that is going to help me but had a couple quick questions. Understand my needs..maybe six bays, enough proccessing power to stream (not encode) HD content WIRED...a system that will run itunes so I can share with other computers on network.

1= What are the BIGGEST difference between building a computer vs building a server?? I would assume ventilation/fans would be one.
2= Minus hard drives, what would be the general cost of parts....case= $100, fans= $20..etc
3=Ive looked on this site for a step by step guide but its greek to me, is there something that Im not seeing??

Thanx for all the help....

1. Since generally a server will hold more drives proper ventilation is definitely a consideration. I have built both a WHS and several HTPCs and honestly there is not much difference. If you don't plan on doing any CPU intensive processes with your server then you can try to stay on the lower power side (maybe a dual core i3 would be a good fit). It is hard to equate exactly what the biggest differences are as each person will look to use a Server or PC completely different from the next

2. Here is test build I just came up with on NewEgg to give you an idea of price:

Antec 900 - supports 6 3.5in internal drives $99
GIGABYTE GA-H67MA-UD2H-B3 Intel H67 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard $129
Intel Core i3-2100 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz $125
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) $45
Antec EarthWatts EA-500D Green 500W $69

So not taking into account hard drives or if you want to replace any of the stock fans the cost comes out to around $470. Of course this is one example, you could easily build for much more or much less depending on the components you choose.

Also, keep in mind that you will want to make sure the server is hooked up to a good UPS, so that will add maybe around $100

3. When you say step by step guide, are you talking about for building a PC?

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank dbone1026 for this post
yakuza
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:05 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

Thanx for the response....That will get me in the right direction.

As far as the guide question, I was mean a simple guide to building a Media Server. I did find one on here but it seemed a little advanced for someone like me that has never done this before.

Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:26 pm 

katpeeler wrote:
Thanx for the response....That will get me in the right direction.

As far as the guide question, I was mean a simple guide to building a Media Server. I did find one on here but it seemed a little advanced for someone like me that has never done this before.

It is really the same exact as building an PC/HTPC, so there are no special instructions above what you would have to do for those. Off the top of my head:

- Install PSU
- Install Motherboard
- Install CPU, thermal compound, and CPU Cooler
- Install RAM
- Install Hard Drive and ROM Drive
- Connect all sata wires/PSU wires, etc... (make sure O/S drive is connected to the SATA 0 port)
- Power up
- Install O/S (for a server the only thing that may get tricky is if you want the SATA ports on the mobo set up as AHCI)
- Install motherboard drivers

Of course this does sound overly simplistic but it really is that easy. The challenge is that sometimes you have to adjust what you install first based on your case. For example, you may find that the RAM will block the HDD slot, so you have to insert the HDD first, and then the RAM.

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:49 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

That doesnt seem that bad...Ive never built a PC before, but if I can overhaul a car engine I should be able to do this..=)........I just thought of this, but my wife's computer is rather old (and has windows already installed on it) and has been needing an upgrade for a while now. I could maybe build HER a nicer computer and use the old computer as a MSS correct??...Maybe put more bays in her computer and it will be a win win situation.....Ill think on this for a little bit...

Ram= 4g HyperX DDr2

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:41 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I have that Antec 900 case, it is very well fanned. It has a 240mm fan in the top, that is like 5-6 in. but it doesn't run to fast so its not bad. It has 2 120mm in the front and another 120mm in the back. I'm guessing it is the MOST vented case I have ever seen. But it is by no means silent. That case will hold at least 6 drives and 2 dvd-rws. Most cases your lucky to have 1-2 80mm fans.

Building your own you will have more room for drives. OEM (store bought) your lucky to have room for 2 harddrives and 2 dvd-rws.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks