It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:54 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Someone requested my experience with Proliant ML 110 G6. Posting my notes below for everyone's benefit -

In general I found the HP Proliant ML110 G6 a very potent machine, especially if we you planning to use it as a server than just a plain old backup machine. I did not find any issues with the noise much, when the machine starts, the fans are pretty noisy during POST but after the OS takes over, the machine is pretty quiet. I was able to use the built in DVD drive to even digitize the movies and I got nice 50 FPS conversion rate (less than 10% CPU usage) as compared to 25 FPS on a Dual core 2.6 GHz 4GB desktop (100% CPU usage).

I have no idea on the power consumption as I used it for about 3 weeks. Only thing I can tell you is that HP's lights out module will not work with WHS by default. This means the Proliant will probably stay on pretty much full time. The smart install media that configures the server can not be used with WHS even though it supports Windows 2003. WHS will not recognize the HDD if you create a RAID volume using smart install media. After trying different combinations, I abandoned the idea of using the smart intall or setting up a hardware RAID volume and simply booted off WHS.
BTW, the server I got came with a 150 GB HDD. You will be better off getting rid of that HDD and start with a large HDD. You will need to add HDDs and enable duplication from WHS console.

Ultimately, I returned it and got a HP EX495 because I have bunch of Macs our home network. I could never get the iTimeCapsule (I think) to ever work. I like the HP's add-in for Mac, they are straight forward.
Hope above information helps; send me a message if you need more information.

Client3: Win7 Prof 32bit
Client4: MacBook Pro
Client5: Mac Mini

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:49 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Thanks for the post. I just ordered one of these boxes at a great price and it appears from my research that HP is fasing out certain models as all the other normal sources showed them as discontinued.

HP ProLiant ML110 G6 Intel X3440 2.53GHz 2GB Memory w/ DVD ROM & 250GB HDD (8 cores/VT AND LO100 ) at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6859105606

3 sticks (6GB) at:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820139044

Total with shipping: $702.02

HTH :)

Thanks