It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: LX 195 Running XP
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:13 pm 

after a number of failed attempts of getting this running efficiently i decided to install Win XP, i bought this WHS off Ebay but it has caused me nothing but problems, Wake up Lan not working, backing up other Coms defunct, losing connectivity, turning on by itself and shutting down when ever it felt like it,
firstly i needed the Debug board from Cakalapati, while i was waiting for delivery i decided to get things prepared, using DiscInternals i created an bootup XP image on a flash drive, installed a 80gb maxtor hard drive, >>> a few days later the Debug board arrived, once installed within 1 hour i was looking at the Win XP desktop, Cakalapati you are the Man, a very professional made debug board that without would have been impossible to install WinXP imo
Pros very quiet, no problem installing free anti virus and firewall, Utorrent working very fast including surfing, in fact i'm as pleased as punch, i can now download using torrent without having to start up one of my power hungry Coms,
Cons, i do have a couple of problems, (1) the lan driver, i have searched for driver for the SIS but failed, i am using a wireless usb adaptor for getting online, it is working fine but prefer to use it wired,
(2) the wally (health) lights, the power light is fine but the Hard Drive light is off and the (i'm thinking about it) light is blinking aqua blue, OK not such a problem as it's out of sight but i would like to find a way of turning it off completely,
otherwise it seems very stable and boots up in 33 seconds from pressing the power button,
mick

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject: Re: LX 195 Running XP
PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:36 pm 

While I am not familiar with the LX195 as I am with the EXxxx series I have to wonder if you look at My Computer on your LX195 you might see a small drive there not larger then 256 MB in Size and if it has the name SMI then the LAN drivers are on that drive. Word of warning is in order....if I am correct in this then do not write or delete anything from that area because its a vital part of the server recovery process without it you will not be able to recover the server if you want to give the server function another try.

As far as the LED's I am not so sure there as I have never seen that unit apart but if the LED board is separate from the motherboard then you can just disconnect it if you like but because the unit is so small I would tend to believe the LEDS are built into the mother board but if you ever have it open you can verify this for yourself.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:43 am 

Comp1962 wrote:
While I am not familiar with the LX195 as I am with the EXxxx series I have to wonder if you look at My Computer on your LX195 you might see a small drive there not larger then 256 MB in Size and if it has the name SMI then the LAN drivers are on that drive. Word of warning is in order....if I am correct in this then do not write or delete anything from that area because its a vital part of the server recovery process without it you will not be able to recover the server if you want to give the server function another try.

Hi Thank you for the suggestion but i have installed a new hard drive and installed Win XP, it hasn't any Win Server software installed, however that said i used Driver Genius and it found 4 drivers missing,
the ethernet controller fitted for anyone attempting the same thing is >

Device ID: VEN_11AB&DEV_436B&SUBSYS_0001103C&REV_16
Detected Chip Name: Yukon 88E8071 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
Chip Vender: Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Ltd)

the Graphics card
Device ID: VEN_8086&DEV_2772&SUBSYS_0000103C&REV_02
Detected Chip Name: 82945G Integrated Graphics Controller
Chip Vender: Intel Corporation

the SMBus controler which includes the USB 2 enhanced drivers is
Device ID: VEN_8086&DEV_27DA&SUBSYS_0000103C&REV_01
Detected Chip Name: 82801G (ICH7 Family) SMBus Controller
Chip Vender: Intel Corporation

no wonder i was having problems finding an ethernet driver on the SIS site even after a scan, it has a Marvel ethernet controller fitted, all drivers have now been installed :ms:

As far as the LED's I am not so sure there as I have never seen that unit apart but if the LED board is separate from the motherboard then you can just disconnect it if you like but because the unit is so small I would tend to believe the LEDS are built into the mother board but if you ever have it open you can verify this for yourself.

correct the LEDs are connected directly to the mother board, i can't see just yet how to disconnect them, i suppose the power light is useful, this thing runs so quiet i wouldn't know it was on without checking the power light, Ahh well i can live with them i guess,
mick

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:54 am 

All that matters in the end is that you solved your problem.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks