It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:29 pm 

I just puchased a LX195 and have it up and running on my network. The Twonky software runs well and allows me to view my home video and photos on my PS3. I am interested in installing the Playon software for accessing HULU to serve my PS3. One post on the Playon site suggested the LX195 would not be fast enough for this type of application. However, I don't think it was actually tried by the person with that opinion. Has anyone actually tried to install this software on the LX195 and if so, how well does it work? Thank you in advance.

Sandy R.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:05 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

There is a free trial period for PlayOn. Why not just give it a try?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:05 pm 

I'd like to see if anyone else has installed Playon on the LX195 and what their experience was. If I don't get any feedback, I might try it myself, however, it's a little intimidating. I finally accessed the desktop of the LX195 using the "Remote Desktop Connection" software in my remote PC's "accessories" folder. I logged on as admin and there was an immediate warning from the LX195 saying I could corrupt the server by running some of the software that normally might be run on a regular windows PC. The warning was not specific as to what I shouldn't execute. Anyway, I would hate to corrupt my server after only a week of service. I looked around the desktop a little bit and then decided enough was enough so I logged out. I hope someone can share their experience before attempting it on my own.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:30 am 

I just found my answer by accessing the PlayOn site. Under their minimum requirments they specifiy a CPU with a score of at least 500 on the Passmark benchmark. Ideally the CPU should be around 1000. The CPU used in the LX195 has a Passmark score of 313. I don't think it's worth installing the software if the developer wouldn't recommend it.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:09 am 

The reason why you see that warning when you RDP to your server is because WHS was intended to have the end user do all the maintenance needs through the console. However there are programs that need to be installed outside the console since they have no other way to add them in as with normal add-ins.

Personally I do not mess with much outside the console even though I have a keyboard, mouse and monitor connected to all 3 of my WHS machines.

As for installing PLAYON I really am not familar with that program and your doing the right thing about asking if anyone has installed it on an LX195 but I would broaden that to the other WHS to see what if any issues they may have encountered.

Can you install PLAYON on one of your other computers that might be on all the time. Maybe that would be the best approach to having your PS3 access HULU.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:49 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

The one thing I have learned about recommended minimums is that it is ONLY a guide. It may be a good recommendation for a general PC that may be used as such while using PlayOn. But it may well perform just file on your server.

The trial is free. Try it and find out! The half hour it will take is probably less time than you have spend researching it!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks