It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:19 am 

Sorry to bump an old thread but this is one of the first hits when googling "LX195 Server Recovery." Just wanted to give a heads up to anyone who, like me, tried everything in this thread and still couldn't get the recovery process to work that setting a static IP of 169.37.37.42 per this post per HP support might do the trick. After trying 10 different things that didn't work and tearing my hair out, this solution worked for me. :)

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank ashura for this post
yakuza

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:53 am 

Greetings all.

New to the forum and specifically found my way here because of problems with LX195. After a long troubleshooting session with tech support, the conclusion was that my hard drive was flawed so that it would not allow me to do a system recovery. Let me first state that I am tech/computer simpleton compared to most forum members here so forgive my simple questions. I guess I was going to proceed in a couple of ways:
1) See if a computer friend of mine can A) determine if hard drive is or is not flawed and B) recover the stuff I have on that drive.
2) Consider buying and replacing the drive like discussed in this thread. The tech support guy said a replacement drive should not be an advanced format? Could anyone please tell me the exact type hard rive specs I should purchase?

I've really had a lot of problems with the LX195. I've actually spent more time talking with customer support than truly using the server. Should I kick the thing to the curb or can this thing be brought back to a consistent, functional state? I'd love to hear your opinion or insights.

JP

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:56 pm 

Hi VolleyFreak welcome to the forums :mss:

I would opt to remove the drive and install it in another computer and perform a CHKDSK /r on the system drive to see if the issues with the drive can be repaired. A system drive having issues can make for a very bad day.

Advanced Format Drives are the newer drives being manufactured. They can be used with Windows Home Server but need to be prepaired properly before using them. Some require you to run an Align Utility others do not and its somewhat confusing to end users like yourself.

For information on Advanced Format Drives please read the following link: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/2011/02 ... mat-drive/

When looking for a replacement drive you will want to make certaing it does not have 4K Sector Sizes as it will certainly be an Advanced Format Drive. So check the specification of the drive you have in mind. One of the big problems with goint to a local retailer is that the packaging does not tell you if the drive is Advanced Format or not. While I use Western Digital Drives I have taken issue to their Consumer Packaging in that certain models actually cover a wide range of drive types in the catagory namely the catagory color of the drive and most sales associates may or may not have a clue about Advanced Format Drives which complicates the matter even more.

Ordering a drive from an Online Retailer like Newegg will be your best bet since they often have the actual drive specifications and reviewing them will help you out if they list the secotor size. So chose a drive manufacturer you are most comfortable with and start looking at the actual drive specs.

In the event you happen to receive an Advanced Format Drive best thing to do is just run the Align Utility available from more manufactures site for download. In most cases you will only need to do this one time sort of like set it and forget it. I would also recommend you review the manufactures documentation for the the actual prepairation of these types of drives so that you will know exactly how to deal with them.

Were you just running your server with the drive it came with or did you have other drives attached to the server?

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:39 am 

Hi Comp1962.

Thanks for the reply & info. The suspect drive was the one that came with the LX195. No other drives were connected to it. I'll try to make sure that drive is damaged & unrepairable before I consider a replacement drive. If\When I get to that point, sounds like there is a best case option but that decision is sometimes a little mysterious. Even if I make the wrong selection, sounds like its not an unrecoverable error.

I'll keep you posted with how this goes.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:13 am 

If that is the only drive you have on the system then you will want to protect it as much as possible while its functional. First ALL your data is on the drive so you will want to extract whatever data is important to you. So here is a listing of what you can do to try to revive the drive.

(1) Extract the drive and connect it to another Windows Computer and run CHKDSK /r on the drive to hopefully repair issues with the drive.

(2) If the drive can be repaired then set the computer up to read Hidden Files and Folders

(3) All your data will be stored in the Hidden Folder DE. In there you will find your data then simply copy the data but do not edit anythng just copy the data.

(4) Place the drive back into your LX195

(5) If your client data is important then install the ADD-IN BDBB, connect an external USB Drive to the server and backup your Client Data. Then remove the USB Drive and store it in a safe place.

(6) If possible connect one or more external drives to your server. You can use a multibay USB Enclosure if you like then turn on file and folder duplication. If you go with an external enclosure then you can use 1 bay for a drive you can rotate for BDBB Backups. This will protect your client backup database. Turning on File and Folder Duplication will protect your data from a hard drive failure. This will allow you to replace system drives and storage pool drives in future without having to worry about any loss of data.

Also should anything every happen to your LX195 such as a hardware failure you could move all your drives to another computer and perform a Server Recovery (Different process the the HP Method) and have a fully functional server again wit your data still intact.

Upgrading to WHS2011 is a different thing should you want to do that. Regardless of where your thought process is you will want to protect your data. If there is nothing of importance on your system drive then by all means change out the drive with a new one and perform a FACTORY Recovery. When you have only 1 drive the only option you have is a FACTORY Recovery but with a multi-drive setup you open up the option for a Server Recovery and data protection.

Please give this some thought and hopefully it will make sense to you. Yes it will require you to spend some money but you do not need to spend all that much to get started.

Good Luck and please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:59 pm 

For those having trouble connecting to the LX195 even after changing your computer IP address to 169.37.37.37 - you can pull up the Tftpd32 program (it is hidden in the system tray) and look at the Log viewer to see if any action is going on. No sense waiting the 15 minutes to see if anything will happen if you can confirm that the Tftpd32 program isn't talking to LX195.

Honestly, I think that many people have a trouble getting the server into recovery mode because they don't hold the pin in the front long enough. If you hold the pin in the front for 3 or 4 seconds, it will blink pink and slightly dimmer pink. If you hold it for about 5 seconds, then it will blink pink and off. THAT is the mode required for the Tftpd program to be able to connect to the LX195. The instructions don't really make it clear what kind of "blinking" you're looking for.

HP stupidity:

* Horrible instructions
* Not spending the extra seventy-five cents it would have cost them to put in some kind of onboard video card
* Making the blinking light colors so vague ("violet...?" Why not "chartreuse"?)
* Never issuing updates for the LX195
* Not allowing users to upgrade LX195 to WHS 2011

SUCK IT, HP! I'm getting your crappy product to work IN SPITE of your instructions, product design, and policies!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:39 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I concur with UV258's comments about the lack of useful feedback from the recovery software, and inadequate instructions.

For the benefit of VolleyFreak- FYI I had similar issues that appear to have been due to a bad connection between the MB and the SATA cable. It seems like a poor design, since there's not a real solid fit between the PCB and the short cable up to the HDD, and when you close the case, it's hard to keep the cable seated properly. So it might not be anything wrong with the 640G drive after all. However, you probably want a bigger drive anyway.

DON'T waste your time trying to get an Advanced Format drive to work with LX195. I went down that road with a WD Caviar EARS drive, and I'm not sure if you can ever get it properly aligned, since even if you put it in another computer and run an alignment tool on it prior to installation in the LX195, when you go back and do the server recovery, it repartitions the drive and messes up the alignment that you just did. And the alignment tools don't work if you want to run them from within WHS since the OS is not "compatible." Only if you have a multi-HDD unit (e.g. the EX47/9x MSSs) where you can jumper the drive and add it as a single partition data pool drive is it easy to get an AF drive to work properly with the MSS. Since LX195 only has a single drive, with two partitions, one for OS and one for data, which are set up during the recovery/ rebuild, you can't do the jumper thing and have it work right. I'm not sure if all comp1962's suggestions above about datapool drives and multi drive setups are even available with LX195- I kinda don't think they are so you might not be able to do what he was suggesting anyway. If you're not as techy as a lot of people on here, like you said, doing all that stuff might be more than you want to try too.

So, I'd suggest that you recover what data you care about from the DE folder structure, then go to WD or whoever else's web page, find what models of drive are not AF (EADS, FASS, FYYS, EVDS=good; EARS=Bad,) and get one of those. Put it in, and make sure that little SATA connector at the MB is staying properly seated when you close the case. Do the factory recovery on the new drive, and load what you care about back onto your server over your network after it's up and running again.

Thanks