It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post subject: USB Touchscreen Monitor
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:58 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

For anyone interested, I have successfully installed a Lilliput 7" touchscreen monitor directly to my LX195. I accomplished this with a VGA/USB adapter. Although the monitor doesn't actually work until Windows starts up, it functions fine after that and is a nice interface for my home automation software. I bought the parts new on ebay. The total cost was under $200. If anyone is interested in the details, please post a comment.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank festiva for this post
yakuza

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:24 pm 
Founder
Founder

I'd definitely be interested to see what you put together!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:59 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have been using the monitor/touchscreen for two weeks and it's been working great for me. Here are the parts I installed:

1. Lilliput 7" touchscreen monitor purchased new off ebay for $132.50
2. Startech USB2VGA adapter purchased new off ebay for $39.00

The touch portion of the monitor had a USB connector. I left that unplugged and attempted to get the monitor working first. It actually went quickly after installing the adapter driver and disabling the existing windows display adapter and drivers. After one or two restarts, the monitor functioned.

The Lilliput didn't come with an installation cd/drivers but I was able to find them online. After installation, the touch screen began to work.

To install the necessary drivers for both the adapter and the touchscreen, I placed them in one of the shared folders from my workstation and then connected via remote desktop to install them. It's necessary to transfer the files from the shared folder to the desktop.

I then found a free on screen keyboard that displayed itself at the login screen and have been operating my home automation software and playing music directly from the monitor.

Oh, I also upgraded the 1GB memory to 2GB.

Daniel

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:42 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Pictures please?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:55 pm 
Founder
Founder

Yes, pictures please, plus links to the driver and utilities you mention would be helpful.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:58 pm 

Yes, definitely pictures and links, maybe even a step by step. Sounds great!!

DIY WHS - 12.5TB and growing, too many gadgets to list

Did you read the MediaSmartServer blog today?
Blog - http://www.adigitalhomeblog.com
"Like a midget at a urinal, stay on your toes!" - Lieutenant Frank Drebin

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:29 pm 

Awesome, just another reason why this site is #1 :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:05 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Ok, I try to spend some time this weekend taking pictures and gathering more detailed information.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:54 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Sorry for the delay in getting for information on the touchscreen installation of my LX195. I'll provide more detailed information and a few pics. I'd be glad to answer any questions.

1. I purchased a Startech USB2VGA adapter. The adapter could probably be purchased from startech.com although I got mine off ebay. From my laptop, I copied from the installation CD the setup file into the shared software folder then connected via remote desktop, transferred the file onto the server desktop and followed the install instructions. After a restart, the adapter icon was present in the taskbar. In device manager/display adapters I disabled the Intel 82945G and USB 2.0 VGA (Mirror). The only device enabled was the USB 2.0 VGA (Extend).

2. For the Lilliput 619GL touchscreen monitor, the installation was fairly easy but I did have problems with the drivers on the included cd. I had success with the "all in one" driver downloaded from the Lilliput website... http://www.lilliput.com.cn/en/service02.php. I installed the driver prior to connecting, powering up the touchscreen and restarting the server.

3. After restart, the video portion of the touchscreen worked fine but I was unable to enter the login information without an on screen keyboard. I searched and found a free keyboard that would appear at the login screen. Download tbkvw32.exe from: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site. ... UJPZ7.html. After extracting, you need to go to the installation folder and then execute the setup file. It will not work without doing this second step. This keyboard disappears after login.

4. I then found a nice on screen keyboard at freevirtualkeyboard.com that I use after the server has started up and is running.

Make note that all downloaded files were downloaded on my laptop and transferred to the server in the same manner as the file in step 1.

Although I wasn't really sure that the touchscreen would work, the whole process was not that difficult. I have the mControl home automation software WHS addin on the server and use the touchscreen frequently to program and operate it.

I've included a few finished pics. Sorry for the resolution, they were taken with my phone.

Daniel
Attachment:
IMAG0083.jpg
IMAG0083.jpg [ 53.83 KiB | Viewed 36288 times ]

Attachments:
IMAG0081.jpg
IMAG0081.jpg [ 41.86 KiB | Viewed 36288 times ]
IMAG0082.jpg
IMAG0082.jpg [ 46.89 KiB | Viewed 36288 times ]
Thanks  
The following user would like to thank festiva for this post
dbone1026, yakuza
PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:35 pm 
Founder
Founder

Very cool, thanks for sharing the additional details. How far away is the monitor from the LX? From the pics it looks like it's in another room, and I'm not sure of the usable length of a USB cable, though it looks like VGA interface to the display...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:45 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Thanks! The server is located in a closet on the other side of the wall behind the monitor, less than 3 feet away. The cord for the monitor was long enough to reach without extensions.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:37 pm 

What kind of wall mount did you use for the monitor?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:42 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

A mounting bracket was installed on the monitor. I didn't feel comfortable with the glue so used two screws through the bracket to secure to the wall. I used a piece of 3/4" pvc pipe to pass the wires through.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:30 pm 

Did the mounting bracket come with the monitor or did you have to buy it? If so what was the make and model of it and maybe where you got it.

Thanks
Jeff

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:01 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

The bracket came with the monitor.

Thanks