It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:40 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Greetings,

I purchased my MediaSmart Server direct from HP, and it's worked great for six years, but today when I turned it on, the Health Indicator light was red. The Health Indicator Code says the error is "Recovery mode failed". What does this mean? How can I diagnose this?

Thanks,
Shane.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:21 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

Hello, You have posted in the LX-195 thread, is that really what you have?
You called it "MediaSmart Server"
If it is not a LX-195 then you will get more help in the correct thread.

That being said, I have not had a LX-195 but have had a ex-470 and x-510 so Windows Home server on a HP device I may be able to get you started.
Normally when a system has problems, it is because :
1) The OS drive is having problems.
2) The OS drive has filled up with error event logs.

If I had to guess, after 6 years on a seagate, I would guess the main drive is bad and you will most likely end up buying a 1 or 2 tb drive to replace it and perform a recovery (not Reset) with all drives in place.. If you do a reset, it will format all drives in the server. :-(

The best way to go at any of the HP devices is to pickup a usb to sata dock and then you can use it on a client to run checkdisk on one drive at a time to see if it can correct it.

On the servers the bottom drive needs to be marked so it can be put back in that bottom bay, the others don't matter.

If checkdisk can not fix the os drive, then you should be able to get to your data by using the usb dock.

Question is, do you have a backup of your data, if not, then I would be looking to copy the data off the drives before doing anything else.

If you do have a backup, the a recovery with a new OS drive might be the best way to go.

Hope this helps, let us know if you do really have a LX-195 that would help.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:58 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Hello,

Thanks for your quick response and I'm sorry for my delay.

I have a HP MediaSmart Server LX195 (part number fl702aa#aba) running Windows Home Server with Power Pack 3 (version 2.1.12.27366).

My WHS actually started today. The Console says that the drives are healthy, but I'm not convinced.

I used Remote Desktop to connect. I tried to run chkdsk, but I got an error saying:

Cannot lock current drive.
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Should I just say Yes and restart? Will check disk just run while it's restarting?

Also, I have plugged in another drive by USB. How can I run check disk on the external drive? Windows Explorer shows two drives (Sys (c:) and Data (d:)), but I think they are physically just one drive. I don't see a drive letter for the USB drive.

Are there any other checks that I can run on the drives besides check disk?

Finally, Event Viewer is full of warnings and errors, but I don't know what is important. Is there anything I should look for?

Thanks,
Shane.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:05 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

OK, good to know you do have the 195, but that means I don't know a lot about it.
1) I would not run checkdisk in the server, you could end up with a box that needed to be clicked and you wouldn't be able to see it (say you could not remote in till the box was click and it finished booting).

I would try to install the Free Smart addin, I think it should work since you are running whs V!.
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/dl/InstallHomeServerSMARTClassic.zip

It will tell you what shape your drives are in, if checkdisk is needed, I would use a usb to sata dock and another client to try and fix them, so you can see what you are doing.

Most of the time it is a drive, the servers had power supply problems as well but not sure on the 195.

Hope this helps, Let us know how it goes. The usb to sata dock is a good thing to have (just in case) you can access the data on the drives if needed with a client, you would just need to unhide hidden files and folders.
Good Luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:34 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I downloaded and installed Home Server SMART Classic. It says that my hard drive health is critical, and there are several errors (for example, "Large Pending Bad Sector Count. There are 1465 sectors that are waiting to be reallocated."). But it doesn't say how to fix them.

I tried running check disk, and it said the volume was locked. It asked if I wanted to run it during a restart, and I said yes. I thought that this would mean it would take several hours to restart, but restarting didn't take longer than normal, and there weren't any chkdsk messages in Event Viewer.

Is there another way to run check disk? Or how can I find out how to fix the errors on the drive?

Thanks,
Shane.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:29 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

My guess is that drive is un-fixable. You could get a usb to sata dock and attach it to another client and try to run checkdisk on it that way, but my guess is you will be looking at a new drive and recovery.

Let us know how it's going.
Good Luck

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:45 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I didn't want to spend money on the WHS. I purchased a WD NAS.

I'm in the process of uninstalling WHS. Before I turned off Remote Access, I tried connecting one last time, but I get an error message. Is anyone else having trouble with Remote Access? My Windows Live Custom Domain was:

https://sgoodman.homeserver.com

Thanks,
Shane.

Thanks