It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:02 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Hi Everyone,

I'm late in the game for about 8 months "AFTER" 3.0 was released by HP. Just a couple of quick questions for you all:

1. Has HP pulled the $25.00 offer for 3.0 upgrade? (I searched HP's website and online store but could not locate it)
2. If I'm still able to purchase the 3.0 upgrade, does it make sense to install the new 3.0 on a brand new 1.5 or 2.0 TB hard drive?
3. Data has been safely backed up and I don't mind starting over again from scratch, and would rather have a larger system drive than 500gb, also as an added bonus, I could keep the original drives 500 & two 1.5 TB as a COMPLETE 1.3 version of media server while I upgrade my two 2.0TB drives as 3.0
4. I see two additional 3.0 patches for updates on EX470 support site (obviously for AFTER the 3.0 update has been performed), are there more?
5. Very VERY sorry to hear that MS is pulling the Drive Extender tech out of vail... Thoughts on what happens if/when the HP hardware dies, then what?

My EX470 has been upgraded to 2GB RAM but I still have original AMD CPU, just too chicken too upgrade the CPU... Any buyer's remorse with the 3.0 upgrade so far? I see there are a few "minor" issues like the 100% CPU with Twonky but wanted to know of 3.0 is worth it even with the standard CPU or should I upgrade?

Thank you ALL in advance...

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:31 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

fwiw....I have an ex475. I didn't upgrade to 3.0 when it was available. I can't exactly remember why I didn't but i think it had to do with: 1)I didn't (don't) understand how Twonky helps me in my setup and 2)I think they changed the webshare in some ways that made it less flexible.

I also recently upgraded my ram to 2GB....I feel like my EX475 is brand new again!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:58 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

The 3.0 disks are readily available on eBay. I am not sold on it though. I have two servers and the more stable of the two is the none 3.0 version. The CPU upgrade is really not that big a deal given the great "how to" documentation. I've done the 35W 3800 upgrade on both my servers. Best thing I did next to the 2gb memory upgrade. I feel like I should be good for a few years given these hardware changes. I have purchased a couple of units for parts and what not if something should fail down the line.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:12 am 

I regret going to the 3.0 upgrade. I have the 2 gig ram upgrade but stock CPU and 3.0 seems much more sluggish, even with Twonky disabled. When I have the time I am going to replace the EX470 and/or downgrade it back.

Don't bother with the upgrade.

Thanks