It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:19 pm 
MVP
MVP

Land Master wrote:
Jrock....you should be ashamed of yourself :wink:

This poor guy busts his hump for two months and "all of a sudden" the schematic appears.

Yeah, but that would not have been any fun! ;) Actually, it was a heck of a lot easier to finally get clearance to post the pinouts by saying "hey, somebody's already figured it out, why don't you let me put it out there?" :)

Quote:
GREAT WORK YMBOC!!!

I forgot to echo that myself -- way to go ymboc!!

-jrock

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:01 pm 
Founder
Founder

Figures as soon as I leave you're allowed to show all the family jewels... :lol:

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:17 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Land Master wrote:
Jrock....you should be ashamed of yourself :wink:

This poor guy busts his hump for two months and "all of a sudden" the schematic appears.

Too funny.

By the way where can we get our hands on that "official" cable. It looks a lot nicer than ymboc's but probably not as much fun.

GREAT WORK YMBOC!!!

Thanks... and In all fairness JRock's is a board not a cable :P... besides we all knew JRock had it all along... in the "Changing the HP MediaSmart Server Power Management Setting" Thread he says...
Quote:
Type carefully and you'll do fine -- it's still safer than taking a solderig iron to the motherboard to get video out Smile (I'm still toying with those instructions, but that would be REALLY risky!)

... and when I PM'd about it I was promptly ignored! :( ah well... that's NDA's for you.. at least I get to connect all my pins now.

Besides I've moved on to getting dual cores working on the machine. (They work - the trouble is getting WHS to take the change - more on that in another thread though).

Edit: We'd probably be able to find a way to get HP to send us the board (spare parts order) if Jrock hadn't had to black that key area of the picture that undoubtedly showed the board's part number (& serial?)

Edit2: What's pin 12 / 1.8V VGA about?

Last edited by ymboc on Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
 Post subject: Yep, the HP way!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:25 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

It was YMOBC that let the pinout get out to the wild. Nice thing about HP, the division guys are not hyper-anal about sharing. They would always let me know what they were up to! Nice to have a inside source at the division.
Worked for the Test and Measurement Department for HP for 25 years. HP used to have the entire schematics for the whole system bundled in with the system service manual (least on the T&M side). At first we used to repair the boards on site! Eventually, they got away from that but if you asked nicely, we could get you the schematic you were looking for.
With PCs, printers, and the like, too much trouble to schemo the thing, swap and recycle the PCA! Cannot fix surface mount and Ball Grid Array stuff easily anyways...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:06 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Quote:
Besides I've moved on to getting dual cores working on the machine. (They work - the trouble is getting WHS to take the change - more on that in another thread though).
aha, suspected as much (for some definition of work...). the nt smp kernel won't be part of the hp image for obvious reasons. a fresh oem install of whs should do the trick

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:30 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Alright alright....
I'm a software guy and not a hardware guy.

So:

Video:
1_ROUT (Red out)
1_GOUT (Green out)
1_BOUT (Blue out)
1_VSYNC (Vertical Sync)
1_HSYNC (Horizontal Sync)
1_DDC1DATA (DDC Data)
1_DDC1CLK (DDC Clock)
VGA_5V (DDC Power +5 Volts)

Keyboard:
1_KBDAT (Keyboard Data)
1_KBCLK (Keyboard Clock)

That leave the following pins I have yet to identify:
1_PMDAT (Mouse Data????)
1_PM_CLK (Mouse Clock???)
1_SOUT1 (3.3 Volt TTY Signal Out ?????)
1_SIN1 (3.3 Volt TTY Signal In ??????)

Which go to the mouse and which go the rs232?
I take it they do not actually use rs232 but tty signals. If that's true, then you could possibly use a technique here:
http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.ph ... inkstation
to communicate to the board for debugging.

Can anyone confirm what:
1_PMDAT
1_PM_CLK
1_SOUT1
1_SIN1

is used for?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:58 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I figure that being a MS product and running MS software, it might stand to reason that you could use a MS USB mouse and keyboard...

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 5:00 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

So PS2 Mouse & Keyboard both need a data, clock & ground pin for communication. So that's what PMData, PMClk & KBDat, KBClk are...

SIN & SOUT I'm guessing is Serial In & Out - with a ground that's enough for RS232 with loop back handshaking.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:53 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Who made a cable ?

Was it difficult to make ?

Where did you put the VGA connector ?

Anyone willing to sell a tested cable ?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:26 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Who made a cable ?
I am in the process of waiting from shipment of parts to make a cable. I have enough equipment to build several cables should the need arise.

Was it difficult to make ?
Cables are usually not hard to make, just time consuming. If you've never made one before, then it can be a little frightening at first (especially if you have to solder anything). Practice makes perfect.

Where did you put the VGA connector ?
The box does not leave many openings for cables (none the last time I checked). You either have to make an opening yourself (voiding any chance of a warranty) or work so that a portion of the box is disassembled. I will probably do the latter. You may be able to get away with slipping the cable through a small opening if you use a ribbon cable. However, since ribbon cables are typically not shielded, this will affect the quality of your monitor signal.

Anyone willing to sell a tested cable?
I've tossed the idea of selling a bunch of cables. Unfortunately, they will not be cheap. Anyone who has taken an introduction course in economics will understand why a cable like this will probably sell for no less than $50 USD. This, of course is a cable that has a VGA, PS2 and serial connectors (utilizing every pin on that connector).

Thanks  
 Post subject: Why bother?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:04 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

About the only thing you can do with the VGA cable is get access to the BIOS. So far, I have not read that it has a lot of utility for us to do so. Fun to play with, sure!
And as I asked before, could you not use a USB mouse and keyboard?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:43 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

You can use a USB keyboard and mouse but there are tradeoffs. I would not want to mess with the USB stack while I was doing kernel level debugging. With that said, USB keyboards have come a long way in terms of support and functionality. Personally, I still do not trust them for low level debugging.

If you just wanted to tinker with the BIOS settings and you wanted to see what you were doing, a USB keyboard would probably be sufficient.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 12:32 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

jRock you say prototype, does this mean that we should expect something to hit market or site exclusive? What are you able to see with the cable? can you see the WHS desktop or just the bios?

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:00 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I got a question asking for clarification on which pin on CN2 is actually Pin#1. I figured other's might have the same question so I figured I'd share the response..

so if you look at my first post in this thread you will find...

Code:
      [ 01 03 05 07 09 11 13 15 17 19 21 23 25 ]
"CN2" [ 02 04 06 08 10 12 14 16 18 20 22 24 26 ]

Where "CN2" shows the location of the CN2 silkscreen (although it should be written upside down above)

Actually there's a little arrow on the header and the connector housing which shows where Pin1 is. Similiarily if you look really closely at your connector housing it will actually identify some of the pins by number (mine ID's 1, 2, 9, 10, 19, 20, 25, 26). If you got the connector I did (or an equiv) it will also plug in only one way... so long as you follow the ID's on the connector housing you'll be okay.

@tbone7467: Its like a normal video connector for a computer. You can see the bios, the OperatingSystem (WHS Login Screen) or if you don't have a drive connected you'll see the WinPE OS which is what communicates with your PC when you're using the WHS restore disk... So you can see everything. The YouTube Vid I posted shows the BIOS & the WinPE environment

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:38 pm 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

ymboc thanks for the info. I would check the vid when i get home. my boss is cool about computer use but the company doesnt allow streaming media. I also couldnt get the iphone to play the video. I appreciate all your info. This almost seals the deal for me getting a WHS. I am just worried about the curruption bug that kind of scares me. How hard was it to create the VGA cable? I have never tried one before.

last question in this post:

Is there enough room in the MSS case to store the cable? I dont think i plan to have the monitor connected all the time (But you never know).

Again thanks for helping a newb.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 17  Next