It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:22 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

cakalapati wrote:
Nice work! Since those pins don't look protected, what policy do you use to make sure the pins don't short with the chassis?

I'll put single or double-sided foam tape, or else remove the 2 screws from the VGA and after making a hole at the rear of the case, secure it with the screws. I could make a bracket, but that requires more engineering.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:48 pm 

IT8705F Superio Chip at CN10 on EX470 and EX475 system board.

For Manufacturer's details refer to => http://www.alltheic.com/electronics-par ... sheet.html

All this io is sitting in the box waiting to be used:

-16C550 Serial port and a Second 16C550 that can serve as Serial Port, IR (tv remote) or Serial IR
-1 IEEE 1284 Parrellel ECP Port (v 1.7 and epp v1.9)
-1 MIDI MPU UART mode Interface
-Disk Controller Interface for two 360k-2.88 mb floppy drives.
-FLASH ROM Interface address FA[0:19], data FD[0:7] supporting three control signals FCS#, FWE# and FRD#.
-Game Port Interface having 558 quad timers and buffer chip supporting 2 game sticks and 6 ports (44 GPIO pins)
-Supports General Purpose I/O Ports, that is:
-3 Fan speed Controllers with on & off
-Monitors Voltages
-Monitors Fan Speed
-Monitors Thermal Resistor
-Monitors Thermal Diode
-SmartGuardian monitors system condition & reacts has ability to respond to detected conditions.

Thanks  
 Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 3:19 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

jrock wrote:
As an "unofficial" confirmation that this cable is good, I finagled a snapshot of the pinout schematic from an unnamed source in HP. You'll also see where keyboard, mouse, and rs-232 pins are located.

Hi,

Sorry for the "noob" question, but I am having a little hard time trying to understand the schematic. Would it be possible for someone to post an updated ASCII schematic like the one page one, enumerating all 26 pins?

EDIT: Lame! Just had a second look and I can see that ymboc in fact updated the ASCII post. It is all there =)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:24 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

So I know this post is old, but I hacked in one of the VoV Tech VGA connectors into my EX485s case. I bought the VGA only one and cut the unused circuit board off, drilled some holes in the back of the case and bolted it in. The included cable is long enough to go from the back of the case, around the front of the board and then back to the pin header.

Here's the look from within the case:

Back of the case:

With the case surround on:

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank warlock4890 for this post
Comp1962, yakuza
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:26 pm 
Founder
Founder

Looks great, thanks for sharing! :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:57 pm 

Where can I buy the CN9 KVM connector? I can't find it on the internet and the cables on ebay or amazon are quite expensive. :?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:54 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

From Here: HP MediaSmart Server VGA/PS2/Serial Debug Board Sale (In the forum marketplace)

Cheers

Last edited by ymboc on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:08 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

@ymboc: You have a copy-paste error in your URL. :) --> HP MediaSmart Server VGA/PS2/Serial Debug Board Sale

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:01 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Oh wow, that was an unusual error to make.

Thanks. Corrected.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:12 pm 

First, I wanted to express my personal thanks to ymboc and JRock, and others for their work in reverse engineering the pinouts of the CN2. I have an LX-195 (header is labeled as CN12 on this model, but appears to be same pinout) WHS and I am attempting to creating the cables myself as well - buying the pre-fabricated PCB from cakalapati, which look absolutely amazing - great work, is just outside of my allowed budget for this project, plus it is way more fun doing this myself.

I started out by purchasing a 26-pin PCB header connector and a VGA extender cable. I cut off the male side of the extender cable, and used it with a multi-meter to map out which color wires corresponded to which pin of the VGA connector. I compared these notes to a VGA pinout, and now I know which pins to connect the loose wires too on the PCB connector.

Unfortunately, the connector I purchased was much too large to fit the slot. Then I found the Digi-key link from ymboc earlier in this thread, so now those connectors and crimps are on order. I think I will be also looking for some PS/2 extenders as well, so that I can attach those cables to the connector, get into the BIOS, and eventually replace WHS with Debian Linux.

Our company uses these primarily as file servers, but I want to eventually do even more with them to the point that I can set them up to be full blown DHCP servers with the ability for me to SSH into one remotely and manage things that way. I've found that WHS is very limiting, and seems to be akin to Windows XP Home. Think of it as a router/file server. We have a lot of branches that are far from home, and end up with small local networks. We've found these LX-195 servers fit the task perfectly. We have 4 LX-195's, and one of them ended up getting disabled when I was attempting to override some WHS settings that prevent them from functioning as a full Active Directory Domain Controller with DHCP services. AKA it's not as simple as hitting a sequence of keyboard keys to re-enable the network adapter.

Anyways, I really just wanted to express my thanks and share my story thus far. When I get the full assembly working, I'll be sure to check back in.

Thanks to everyone for their hard work on this!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 12:46 pm 
Founder
Founder

I'm glad the servers are working well for you. As for the disabled network adapter, you can re-enable it following this guide: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... _interface :mss:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:07 pm 

yakuza wrote:
I'm glad the servers are working well for you. As for the disabled network adapter, you can re-enable it following this guide: http://www.mediasmartserver.net/wiki/in ... _interface :mss:

Thanks for the reply, but that solution won't work for me. The reason I can't connect runs a lot deeper than the network interface simply being disabled. It has to do with a plethora of settings that have been configured to conflict in a way in which I can't remotely connect anymore. Still, not a problem. I'm looking forward to completing this cable.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:25 pm 

Hi crush1983 welcome to the forums!!!

Just take a look at the link yakuza provided it does not require you to make any network connection. Its basically connecting a keyboard and blindly logging on and pressing a particular key sequence to get the network port working again should it be disabled.

Should that not work for whatever reason then the solution would be to perform a Server Recovery which will just reinstall the WHS OS and HP Software but preserve the data on the server. Of course you would have to setup the server again, User Accounts, Remote Access and some other misc server settings but your data will still be there. Even though you have to setup the User Accounts the User Data will still be there along with the client backups.

Migrated from WHS2011 to WS2012E: HIGHLANDER

~ Norco 4220 Enclosure
~ Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
~ AMD Phenom II X4 995 3.2 GHz
~ 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
~ 3 Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:07 pm 

Alright so I got all my parts in, and I'm working on connecting them, then I notice what someone else noticed earlier.

On my VGA cable, pin 9 is labeled as KEY, and there is no pin there. In the pinouts in this thread, VGA09 is connected to pin 25 (5V) on the connector. Can someone explain to me why this would work?

I have no wire that connects to pin 9, since it doesn't exist...How can I connect that to pin 25??

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:57 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Hi there!

I am looking on how to make the VGA cable for the EX 470 and I was wondering if you someone could give me a hand to get the right parts?

I'm quite good at soldering and all that but the problem for me is to find the spare parts Particularly because I am in Europe. So I did found a site that seems to have all sort of electronic parts under the sun, which is called http://uk.farnell.com

I think that the parts I need are these (don't mind the picture of the housing. check out the description):

terminals: http://uk.farnell.com/jst-japan-solderl ... dp/1830725
housing: http://uk.farnell.com/hrs-hirose/df11-2 ... dp/1688313

Do you folks reckon these are ok?

I reckon the final missing part would be the 15pin connector & cable. I was hoping that I could find some part that already comes with cable and connector soldered to one end, so all I would have to do is solder the terminals at the other end. But then would there be an easy way to know which cable goes where?

If it is not asking much, could someone please point me at the right direction? I reckon that you folks are much more knowledgeable about those spare parts than I am. Perhaps someone could send me a link to the correct parts to get from this site?

Thanks a lot for the help. I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers,
P.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next