It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:54 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

HappyBison wrote:
IMGrant wrote:
True, I am tight-wad. More importantly then, the housing is out of stock until end of May, which is aaaages away. Plus, shipping at UK Digi-Key is £12 (~$18).

In this case you should specify UK :-)
For the out of stock stuff, you could get a replacement on DigiKey.

If noone will respond, please drop me a PM tomorrow. I'll see if I can find my housing and connectors at home. I'm in US so someone local in UK will do it faster.

Specify UK where, on Digi-Key or to people on here? I was already on the UK Digi-Key site, as for on here, I'm open to anyone anywhere - I wouldn't expect a single housing and a few pins to be more than a couple of $.

I've tried looking for replacements (also on Farnell and RS), can't find anything suitable - if anyone else knows a good part no.?

Finally, thanks for the offer - I'll be in touch unless someone else pops up sooner :)

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:54 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

IMGrant wrote:
I've tried looking for replacements (also on Farnell and RS), can't find anything suitable - if anyone else knows a good part no.?

Here are the link on replacement on DigiKey:

Housing:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... e=H2261-ND

Pins:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSea ... e=H1504-ND

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:06 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Ah, thank you!

Do you know, do the JST pins (455-1313-1-ND) for the out of stock housing fit into this alternative housing (H2261-ND), or must I use the pins you also gave (H1504-ND)? (As the JST pins are much cheaper than the Hirose ones)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:30 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

IMGrant wrote:
Ah, thank you!

Do you know, do the JST pins (455-1313-1-ND) for the out of stock housing fit into this alternative housing (H2261-ND), or must I use the pins you also gave (H1504-ND)? (As the JST pins are much cheaper than the Hirose ones)

I'm not sure, but I think it may not fit or fit with some issues. I would not risk my time on that.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:30 pm 

Now that I have direct acess to the server, has anyone found a way to do a server recovery or clean install without using a client computer? I'm having trouble installing the new 3.0 upgrade.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:04 am 

Hi everyone,

When you say that the parts With shipping are about 15$ you are telling about shipping to USA, not?

I have already have the housing from digikey, and have payed 30$ for the shipping, but I forgotted the connectors ](*,)

So only need to buy the pins to build my own connector, but I'm in Spain, and the shipping costs with digikey are a madness 30$ for a 2,31$ order.

Anybody knows about other supplier, or way to find it? I have also family in France (in the case it could be cheaper to send it to France).

Thanks for your help!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:24 pm 

I went out this morning to hunt down parts for this cable as well. Radio Shack is now a joke for electronic components so I went to Frys. Well I got what I thought was right but sadly that was a waste of 2 hours. I ended up with an IDC which was attractive because it needs no tools (has pins to slip in ribbon cable) but sadly is the wrong size.

Since I don't see the need to drop $300 on crimpers, and I'm trying to do this on the more cost effective side, does anyone know if there are PHD connectors that fit this connector that uses the same style of cable attachment (or even a solder connection would work)?

Many thanks.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:55 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I made my own custon board here, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8181&p=66959#p66959 it includes some parts list from Digikey, like the 26 pins headers and connectors and pins.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:07 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

tedliq wrote:
Since I don't see the need to drop $300 on crimpers, and I'm trying to do this on the more cost effective side, does anyone know if there are PHD connectors that fit this connector that uses the same style of cable attachment (or even a solder connection would work)?

Many thanks.
Check out page 6 for a picture of the generic crimper cakalapati used (uses?) to build his cables. Reportedly does the job perfectly.

I used another generic crimper that almost worked -- I ended up finishing the job with solder (see page 3). My cable still works 100% despite the abuse I've put it through and I have absolutely no ghosting -- not bad for a scavenged low-profile VGA (ribbon) adaptor kit.

My memory's foggy but I don't think I my cable cost more than $50 to make including the cost of the (wrong) crimper.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:42 pm 

ymboc wrote:
This is how I wired my VGA cable...

Code:
CN2 Pin# --> VGA Pin# (Description)
-----------------------------------
  09     -->   12     (DDC Data)
  11     -->   15     (DDC CLock)
  14     -->   01     (Red)
  16     -->   05     (Ground)
  17     -->   06     (Ground)
  18     -->   02     (Green)
  19     -->   14     (VSync)
  20     -->   07     (Ground)
  21     -->   08     (Ground)
  22     -->   03     (Blue)
  23     -->   13     (HSync)
  24     -->   10     (Ground)
  25     -->   09     (5V)
Hope it helps.

Happy New Year!

I just built a cable this exact way, tested continuity from end to end on each cable, everything's fine, and no video on my EX475. Are there any other connections required to just get video? I notice VGA pins 4 and 11 aren't referenced here. Are they not connected to anything?

I've also read in another thread about the need for signal conditioning. Has anyone got a cable to work strictly as mentioned here? No need for resistors or anything else funky?

Short of that, does anyone have one of those fancy Vovtech connectors I could borrow? I'm in the Seattle, WA area.
Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:48 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

At first I didn't connect VGA pins 4 (ID2) & 11 (ID0). I don't think they're needed. I think I may have just connected them to ground.
Link: VGA Pinout Reference

I'm reviewing my (quoted) post against the pinout published by jrock on page 4 to see if I've made an error.

In the mean time can I suggest continuity checking your cable? Pay particular attention to H & VSync.

Edit/Update:
Alright, I've review the quoted post against the pinout and haven't found any show-stoppers. As you mentioned however I didn't explicitly state what I did with pins 4 & 11. I'm trying to visually trace the wires from pictures I took when I built the cable.

FWIW, I didn't connect the DDC Data & Sync pins at first either (since I didn't know what they were until jrock posted the complete pinout).

Also double check that you haven't mis-wired your connections by mis-interpreting which end & row of the connector is pin 1 (vs 25/26). Check out the last picture of cakalapati's post on page 6 to be absolutely sure.

More Edit:
Found this from my post when I first published the pinout
ymboc wrote:
NB: VGA pins 11 & 4 are by definition unconnected but I connected them to a ground (CN2 Pins 3 & 4) without issue.

So that makes the complete pinout for my (first and only) cable...
Code:
CN2 Pin# --> VGA Pin# (Description)
-----------------------------------
  03     -->   04     (Ground)
  04     -->   11     (Ground)
  09     -->   12     (DDC Data)
  11     -->   15     (DDC CLock)
  14     -->   01     (Red)
  16     -->   05     (Ground)
  17     -->   06     (Ground)
  18     -->   02     (Green)
  19     -->   14     (VSync)
  20     -->   07     (Ground)
  21     -->   08     (Ground)
  22     -->   03     (Blue)
  23     -->   13     (HSync)
  24     -->   10     (Ground)
  25     -->   09     (5V)

Even More Edit: Re: Signal Conditioning.
It was a concern of mine as well before I built the cable, but I never had any display issues, artifacts or ghosting.
As mentioned I used a ribbon cable VGA connector scavenged from an XFX low profile adaptor kit and just made sure I grounded all the pins I could.

Last edited by ymboc on Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:18 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

tedliq,
I don't have pins 4 and 11 connected too. Here is my pinout which works for me: VGA pinout for MediaSmart and Acer H340

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:35 pm 

Thanks guys. I did check continuity and since I didn't have expensive crimpers I soldered all 13 pins as well as crimping the strain relief on the connectors. The VGA side is also soldered so there's no issue there. I checked everything three times but maybe a fourth is in order :shock:

Thanks for the prompt update.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:51 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

tedliq,
I don't have a crimping tool too, so this is not a big issue. I soldered all pins manually. Maybe you need to check if you have a shortage between pins as well.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:35 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Verify pin X to pin Y when you're doing the continuity tests... and verify that pins that shouldn't have continuity to each other don't. A stray piece of wire or solder on the VGA side can ruin your day.

...and as mentioned make sure you've identified the correct end of the connector wrt 'pin 1'

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 17  Next