It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:14 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

If someone does, let me know.... I'll be happy to compensate you (reasonably) in exchange for your burned out board...

Both the NorthBridge & Southbridge can't be continuity tested from the bottom of the board... only way to build the map is to desolder them...

I don't know about you but I'm not about to desolder the chips from my working board. :p

EDIT (2): NVM the previous edit. CN10 has 4 pins (in addition to grounds & VCC) that connects to LAD0 - LAD3 (LBC Bus) on the IT8705F SuperIO Chip. Not sure what they do exactly because I don't yet understand what I've read/skimmed about the LBC Bus.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:39 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I've Tracked 4 Pins of CN10 to the LAD0-LAD4 (LBC Bus) of the IT8705 SuperIO Chip and updated previous posts to reflect this info.

I'm looking for a pinout of the 761GX NorthBridge. While it is BGA there are some pins I can test from the back of the board. If we find just one pin I can test that is related to VGA we'll be alot further along.

Cheers

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:24 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Bit of an update:

Having trouble tracking down an inexpensive oscilloscope to buy or borrow... So I can't test to find the Horizontal & Vertical Syncs (or anything else with a clock to it on the hopefully-present-somewhere vga pins) until I do.

Similarly SIS doesn't seem to be forthcoming with the pinouts for their chipsets... I'll try shooting emails to sis distributors since "developer support" @ SIS isn't coming through with the info.... but I won't hold my breath

Any support anyone else can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:42 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

another update... (and another self reply)

I made some progress today. I think I've found the Red, Green & Blue Pins.

What I did to find them: Loaded MSDos on a sata drive complete with a config.sys menu consisting of 4 submenus with appropriate background colors (red,green,blue,black) and basically toggled through the colors while measuring the voltages on CN2 pins.

When on a colored menu the pin corresponding to that color should spike compared to baseline (black) and they did.

And finally, I got in contact with the electronics lab manager at my old university and I'll be able to go in and get some oscilloscope time to find the Hsync & Vsync and hopefully the other (less critical) vga pins.

So its only a matter of time folks.

Last edited by ymboc on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:44 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

yet another self reply (am I really the only one interested?)

Back from a brief visit to the lab... Found the Vertical & Horizontal Sync. I'm still trying to figure out the rest.

At the 'no boot device found' screen Vertical Sync was ~42.5kHz. Horizontal Sync was ~62.5Hz.

So that's enough to get a picture to display but I need to track down the I2C Sync & Data pins round out the connections to a 15pin VGA connector (nvm the other ~11 pins on CN2).

I'm trying to source a 2mm 26pos crimp connector for CN2. It seems that Locally, metric components aren't stocked. So unless I get lucky it would mean a minimum order of probably 100-1000 connectors to 'do it right'.

Last edited by ymboc on Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank ymboc for this post
mystro210
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:26 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

No, you are NOT the only one interested...!!

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:29 pm 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

You work it out and I would be interested in buying a cable from you.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:01 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Dunno... I'm much more interested in figuring it out and then posting how to DIY... the whole building/selling/mailing for others thing just doesn't appeal. (sorry). If I find a source for small numbers of the connectors I'll be sure to share though.

The VGA plug I'll use I got from an XFX low profile kit... just need to get the connector for the board side of things.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:35 pm 
2.0TB storage
2.0TB storage

ymboc wrote:
yet another self reply (am I really the only one interested?)

I'm watching this thread. I expect it to be quite popular when you pull this off.

While I bought this in part because I would not need a keyboard mouse or monitor I find that it needs a bit of tweaking which I feel is better done while you can see what you are doing instead of flying blind.

IMHO HP needs to do some work to set this up the way a server should be before it is ready to be 100% headless.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:53 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Greg H wrote:
I wonder who's gonna be the first to short out their m/b ? ?

Tinker Tinker Tinker :lol:

I wonder as well especially with fooling around with the motherboard on top of a rug or carpeting. Static kills electronic components.

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:21 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

All4Fun wrote:
I wonder as well especially with fooling around with the motherboard on top of a rug or carpeting. Static kills electronic components.

Funny you should say that... I did alot of this lying half on a carpeted floor, half on one of those plastic chairmats...

Of course it helped that the unit was plugged in most of the time and i was 'touching ground' at least every minute...

hehe

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:07 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

ymboc wrote:
Dunno... I'm much more interested in figuring it out and then posting how to DIY... the whole building/selling/mailing for others thing just doesn't appeal. (sorry). If I find a source for small numbers of the connectors I'll be sure to share though.

The VGA plug I'll use I got from an XFX low profile kit... just need to get the connector for the board side of things.

This is what I was hoping someone with more time and experience would be able to produce.

Thanks!!!

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:25 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

I'm interested!! I always wondered how you technical guys get things figured out like this. Thanks for posting play by play findings!! I will be following this thread like mad, if not to make a cable, but just to learn more about circuitry!! :D

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:07 pm 

For the sake of connecting a VGA cable - which you have already shown with your findings to be able to do.

take a look at http://www.kroptech.com/kvm/blackbox.html - site for KVM switch cable making.

The 5V pins are for the PS2 plugs - no voltages needed for the Video cable since it's just red, green, blue, hsync, vsync and all the rest are grounds - which you have already identified. So getting video output from this should be straight forward.

Now finding out which pin is for the mouse clock and data and which is for the keyboard clock and data will be the difficult part. Not sure what the expected throughput signals for that is.

Notice for the sake of the KVM example in the link above - he says it doesn't matter which of the grounds you use for which purpose. Hope this helps.

Thanks  
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:45 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Yeah after having identified all the pins I need I'm not too stressed about demonstrating that it works... so I slowed down a bit... I finally found the connector & crimps I need (in reasonable quantities) to make the connection from digikey -- my order is in the mail; hopefully arrives next week. All I've been doing since is trying to hash out where I'm going to 'install' the VGA connector. I'm thinking I might try to cut a hole in the chassis where the Kensington security hole is. Either that or feed it to the front of the case and poke a hole there.

I'm also not too stressed about not finding the PS2 ports because I know USB works -- though I still wonder what those LBC pins on CN10 could be used for.

Really to further identify the rest of the pins I (think I) would need access to a logic analyzer. Most of these pins appear to be idle unless something is actually connected and communicating.

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 248 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17  Next