It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:41 am 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

I didn't need to do anything with my HP MSS. I just plugged them in and they worked with both eSATA and USB.
Although I did have an issue if I plugged them into the boot, usb port. But as long as I don't use that one USB port everything was fine.
I'm using that port for a USB BD rom drive now and even with two enclosures on USB, the BD ROM drive is working great.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:01 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Danilo84 wrote:
Hello. I just bought Mediasonic SU2S2. I have the problem, because equipment does not detect the new hard disc 1,5T Caviar Green New , neither under DellXPS16, neither under Synology DS110J. Can he advise what with this, do ?? Are some drivers necessary ??? Best Regards Daniel
Make sure that the enclosure is on the right 'mode' for the type of connection you're making.

ie:
Want to use USB? make sure the enclosure is in USB mode
Want to use ESata? make sure the enclosure is in Esata mode.

Also make sure you've ruled out the basics of power & having properly inserted the drive.

FYI: I suspect your Dell XPS16 will not work with this enclosure in esata mode when 2 or more drives installed in the enclosure because (I believe) it lacks the "Port Multiplier" support needed to do so.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:38 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Danilo84 wrote:
Hello. I just bought Mediasonic SU2S2. I have the problem, because equipment does not detect the new hard disc 1,5T Caviar Green New , neither under DellXPS16, neither under Synology DS110J. Can he advise what with this, do ?? Are some drivers necessary ???

Best Regards Daniel

If you put new hard drives in, make sure you initialized the disk and partition & format on Disk Manager

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:48 am 

Hi. Thanks for answers. It already detected the disc, robie now the format but he surprises me that the typl of files RAW shows. Equipment has to walk after USB, you can sees 4 discs separately. Is there the possibility to connect Mediasonic as the external disc after USB to Synology DS110J.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:47 am 

I have the new problem. Sysytem Shows that he can not finish formatting and chucks out the mistake for what the device switches off. About what he walks in this ??

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:06 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Danilo084: I'd like to help but I've never seen, much less used a Synology NAS. Maybe you can find some help over at SmallNetBuilder's Synology Sub-Forum.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:57 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

Danilo84 wrote:
I have the new problem. Sysytem Shows that he can not finish formatting and chucks out the mistake for what the device switches off. About what he walks in this ??

This is not at all clear to me. Could you reword it and include a more detailed description and screenshots?

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:55 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Good Day Everyone,

I just picked up the Mediasonic HF2-SU2S2 for the terrific price of $99.99 at Memory Express (Price matched). I have it connected to my EX470 (e-sata) which is running the new V3.0 upgrade. I seem to be having the same problems some of you initially had before upgrading the Marvell driver. I presently have 2 drives but I can only see 1. If I try to reboot the server while the Mediasonic is running (with 2 drives) , the server hangs, with only one drive, everything is fine. I have tried the Marvel drivers 1.2.0.46 and 1.2.0.71 with no success. I do have the Mediasonic unit set to esata. Other than tracking down the 1.2.0.68/69 Marvell drivers and giving that a go, I'm at a lose as to what else to do.

Suggestions please?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 8:04 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

TripleR: I ended up doing a restore at some point and then everything started behaving normally from that point forward -- even with the lastest driver.

I'm currently using the 1.2.0.7100 driver with hotplug support disabled (and never previously enabled). I typically get the latest driver from asus' support website (for a motherboard with the same chip). My theory is that fiddling with hotplug support is what 'broke' the setup on my mss (until a restore fixed it).

Cheers & Good Luck!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 11:19 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I have an update. I have managed to get everything working. Last night I decided to test the box with both drives using the usb interface (something I should have done right away) and I could only see the one drive. Despite moving both drives to different bays multiple times during my previous testing, it appears one drive is being problematic when it comes to properly seating it in the bays. Playing around with the different drivers just complicated the testing results.

Both drives are now working using the original 1.2.0.46 Marvell driver.

Cheers

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:40 am 

Manual for product is horrible. I'm just shocked at how bad it was. That being said, once I figured out it was going to sleep15 seconds after startup because it was on USB 2.0, not E-Sata I solved the problem by pressing and holding the interface button on the front of the unit. Promptly recognized the 2Tb drive I installed and added it for formatting to my 495. Began duplication of the most important file paths immediately and it was chuggging away when I left for work this a.m.

I read this forum on "updated drivers" but for the life of me I can't figure out how you would update the driver on this when its attached to a WHS e-sata port. Regardless, worked out of the box and that apparently is a non-issue for me.

Got it for $117 at Newegg.com. Seems to be a good price for a 4-bay extension.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:58 am 

I bought 1 of these cases based on a forum post on another site where the guy said his drives were running at 27C - 32C. I guess he has his box in a meat locker. The best I've been able to get is 40C with the front door off and the fan set to high. This is with 4 WD1002fbys drives. I know these drives generate more heat than Caviar Greens, for example, but I was hoping for a lot better than the 45C I get if the front door is installed (still with fan set to high).

The real issue to me is that the air coming out the back is cool - somehow the air is going around the drives, not over & under them. I'm going to look into it a bit more but, thanks to the great photos posted by ymboc, I can see that I won't be able to cut holes in the PCB that the drives plug into. Too bad Mediasonic didn't design vent holes into the PCB themselves. I'm going to see what I can do: 1) about stopping air from bypassing the drives and 2) creating more space for air to flow over & under the drives to cool them.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:02 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

ikon wrote:
I bought 1 of these cases based on a forum post on another site where the guy said his drives were running at 27C - 32C. I guess he has his box in a meat locker. The best I've been able to get is 40C with the front door off and the fan set to high. This is with 4 WD1002fbys drives. I know these drives generate more heat than Caviar Greens, for example, but I was hoping for a lot better than the 45C I get if the front door is installed (still with fan set to high).

The real issue to me is that the air coming out the back is cool - somehow the air is going around the drives, not over & under them. I'm going to look into it a bit more but, thanks to the great photos posted by ymboc, I can see that I won't be able to cut holes in the PCB that the drives plug into. Too bad Mediasonic didn't design vent holes into the PCB themselves. I'm going to see what I can do: 1) about stopping air from bypassing the drives and 2) creating more space for air to flow over & under the drives to cool them.

try fliping the fan over to suck air in, and then close the front door, hope air will be defected to hit the hard drives?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:05 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

dschoemaker1: Updated driver discussions were WRT to the marvell esata controller on the EX47x series.

I wouldn't flip over the fan. Airflow for this kind of case design is best to suck from the front and blow out the back. If you'd like to experiment, you'll have more luck playing with the front door (removed/open/closed)

My temperatures are in the attached picture. You can see the temperature difference between a 2TB EARS drive and the older 500gb AAKS drives (both in the mediasonic external enclosure). I leave the fans on full-speed (vs low, medium or auto).

Attachment:
CaviarGreenVSCaviarAAKS.png
CaviarGreenVSCaviarAAKS.png [ 167.11 KiB | Viewed 13074 times ]

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:59 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

Danilo84 wrote:
Hi. Thanks for answers. It already detected the disc, robie now the format but he surprises me that the typl of files RAW shows. Equipment has to walk after USB, you can sees 4 discs separately. Is there the possibility to connect Mediasonic as the external disc after USB to Synology DS110J.

yes it will work with your Synology DS110j
http://forum.mediasonic.ca/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=20

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next