It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:22 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

ymboc wrote:
MetaLRasaM wrote:
I'm surprised you are having issues with it...

I was similarily suprised but at least it's all resolved now.

Perhaps I had screwed around with the drivers a bit too much testing for hotswap/plug support.

Cheers

So you got it working then?

Great to hear amigo :) It's a decent little machine, does one thing, and it does it well, not much room for tweakers like us!

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:39 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

MetaLRasaM wrote:

Great to hear amigo :) It's a decent little machine, does one thing, and it does it well, not much room for tweakers like us!
It started working normally (again?) after I installed the 1.2.0.69 driver... though I'm not sure if it's by coincidence or something the driver install corrected.

I don't know, I think my mediasmart has been accommodating the tweaker in me rather well...

I do wish the bios were a little more alternative-OS friendly, but you can't have everything and WHS keeps on surprising me pleasantly despite its 'perceived shortcomings'.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:14 pm 
Founder
Founder

ymboc wrote:
I do wish the bios were a little more alternative-OS friendly, but you can't have everything and WHS keeps on surprising me pleasantly despite its 'perceived shortcomings'.

:offtopic: The BIOS in the EX48x servers seems much friendlier, I had no trouble installing Linux on that server during a test. :encore:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:34 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

ymboc wrote:
MetaLRasaM wrote:

It started working normally (again?) after I installed the 1.2.0.69 driver... though I'm not sure if it's by coincidence or something the driver install corrected.

I don't know, I think my mediasmart has been accommodating the tweaker in me rather well...

Ya, MSS has been pretty sweet in terms of tweaks, I was talking about the ProBox :) that thing does one thing and one thing only! :D

BTW, what kinda temps do you get in that thing? Mine is ~37 while my MSS HDDs are around ~33.

yakuza wrote:
ymboc wrote:

:offtopic: The BIOS in the EX48x servers seems much friendlier, I had no trouble installing Linux on that server during a test. :encore:

I guess I'm not geek enough, but everything I've ever needed to do with Linux was easily done with a live CD or DVD. I never felt the need to use it as my day to day OS.

And I really wanted the set-it-and-forget-it approach of MMS, which is why I bought it on pretty much the first day it came out here.

I've been meaning to install Linux on my PS3, still a no go. No time at all. Unreal how busy I was during the summer...and unreal how summer is freaking over!!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:40 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I'm looking at purchasing this unit at the price point that it's at. Interestingly, I'm more interested in the USB support with eSATA as the bonus as I have a Sans Digital 4-port unit already connected to the eSATA port on my EX470.

I doubt this unit has the feature but can you configure the unit to make multiple drives look like one large volume? For example, if you have a 1 TB drive in slots 1 and 2, can you configure the unit so that it presents a 2 TB volume to WHS?

As a side, for those of you in Canada, Canada Computers has this unit on sale for $109.99 until Dec. 11, 2009. Link Here

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:24 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

All4Fun wrote:
I doubt this unit has the feature but can you configure the unit to make multiple drives look like one large volume? For example, if you have a 1 TB drive in slots 1 and 2, can you configure the unit so that it presents a 2 TB volume to WHS?

There's a Raid Version of the ProBox that supports RAID (0, 1, 3, 5, 1+0) and firewire in addition to USB & ESata connectivity. Looks like it's special order from CanadaComputers though.

Thanks  
The following user would like to thank ymboc for this post
All4Fun
PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:27 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

ymboc wrote:
All4Fun wrote:

There's a Raid Version of the ProBox that supports RAID (0, 1, 3, 5, 1+0) and firewire in addition to USB & ESata connectivity. Looks like it's special order from CanadaComputers though.

Thanks for the info and link. Interesting little box with all the different connection options you will ever need and hot-swap capable.

My gadget blog: http://www.gadgetinsane.com

Thanks  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:50 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Well... I tried adding a third drive to the two already in the enclosure last weekend and had nothing but trouble.

Basically the system will not boot with a third drive in the enclosure. With the third drive installed it will sit at the animated boot progressbar screen where it will continue to animate for over 12 hours...

Removing the third drive allows it to boot successfully. The two existing drives will work in any bay (so long as there are are not more than two present).

Drivers I tried/revisted:
1.2.0.46 (The originals and those recommended by Yakuza)
1.2.0.57 (Curtousy WHShacks)
1.2.0.69 (Settled on these after my last bout of fiddling with the marvell drivers)
1.2.0.71 (Newer WHQL drivers)

I don't know what I've done to my system/drivers but v46 & v57 both cause summary BSODs on boot (causing a crash-boot loop until the enclosure is disconnected).

v69 & v71 allow only two drives to work (these drivers add the 'hotplug' options to the driver property pages).

With .46 not working it's pretty clear to me I've screwed something up in the configuration (hopefully fixable in the registry) but I'm not sure how to get it back to good. Can someone who has this enclosure fully loaded up & working via esata confirm which driver they're using? (Thanks!)

On a side note all 4 bays work fine with the enclosure in USB mode but WHS will not recognize the two existing drives and declares them as missing (despite being present). So word of warning: no easy transitions between eSATA and USB modes appear possible with this enclosure.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:28 am 

Thank you for everyone's comments. I found them very helpful as I was looking for an enclosure. I just got an HF2-SU2S2 and loaded it up with 4 drives and connected it to my Ubuntu PC. I'm running it off a SYBA SD-SA2PEX-2IR PCI Express SATA II Controller Card which is multiport capable, and it works well.

It did take a bit of work though, however reading the manual helped. I didn't realize that I had to press and hold the "interface" button for 3 seconds to change the interface. The interface defaults to USB, so the enclosure shut itself off after a few seconds when I first turned it on. I then plugged it in with USB, which worked. Then after reading the manual and learning about the 3 sec hold "interface" button, I got the eSATA to work also.

A few things. I was a bit disappointed that the enclosure would not turn itself on during a cold boot of my PC. I changed the "sync" setting to manual, which solved the problem. Also the fan seemed to like to cycle more than I preferred through the 3 different settings on "automatic" so I changed the fan to manual level 2, which keeps it cool and quiet.

The only concern might be the slower interface speed using the enclosure vs having the drive directly connected. Using hdparm measuring 2 identical 500GB drives on 2 identical controller cards, the enclosure reads 75MB/sec and the directly connected drive reads 100MB/sec. I'm guessing the 75MB/sec is probably shared among all 4 drives in the day. Not a big deal to me since I'm using those 4 drives for backup purposes.

The power brick also feels a bit warmer than I prefer, but I can't say anything about longevity since I just got it.

All in all very pleased with the enclosure. Easy to use. Having Ubuntu probably helps a lot in that the drivers seem stable and mature. Thanks!

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:21 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Just to follow up: I performed a system restore (which comes with the 1.2.0.46 drivers) and all bays of the enclosure are operating normally (without BSODs) via eSata.

Anthony Rogers: There's a procedure to syncing the power of the enclosure to the main system. I've been impressed how well it works, remembers and keeps the sync in USB & eSata mode.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:10 pm 
3.0TB storage
3.0TB storage

I ordered three of these enclosures and received one so far. I have that one connected to a USB port. It turns off and on with the server like it's supposed.
Does it work the same way with eSata?
Hopefully I'll get the other two by Tuesday. I've already removed all the drives that were in my Roeswill from the Drive pool. So I'll put those four 1.5TB drives in the Media Sonic and connect it to the MSS eSata port.
Not sure if I'll use the third MediaSonic yet with the MSS. I might connect it to my Intel NAS to see if it will work with that. Otherwise I also got a two bay Mediasonic enclosure that can be setup up as RAID0, RAID1, JBOD, or spanning.

I do like this box better than the Rosewill and San Disk since the drives are easier to get to since you don't have to remove the housing.
It's not as elegant for hotswapping as the MSS is but hotswapping does work with the MediaSonic without any issues(at least as far as USB is concerned. I won't try it with eSATA until I get the second box, but since hotswapping works fine over USB, hopefully it won't have issues over eSATA either.) . You just remove the front plate, and grab the plastic handle on the correct drive and pull.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:55 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

aaronwt wrote:
Does it work the same way with eSata?
Yeah it works flawlessly.

Hotswapping on the other hand... well I didn't have success on the MSS/esata.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:41 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Followup on my Driver Issues:

I had performed a system restore to get back to the 1.2.0.46 driver (because I couldn't get more than two drives to appear with any driver at the time and switch between driver versions was causing my MSS to BSOD on boot)....

...and now weeks later I updated to the 1.2.0.71 whql driver (available through the asus download system for specific motherboards) without issue.

All drives working & accounted for.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:33 am 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

All4Fun wrote:
I'm looking at purchasing this unit at the price point that it's at. Interestingly, I'm more interested in the USB support with eSATA as the bonus as I have a Sans Digital 4-port unit already connected to the eSATA port on my EX470.

As a side, for those of you in Canada, Canada Computers has this unit on sale for $109.99 until Dec. 11, 2009. Link Here

There is a new model out HFj2-Su2 JBOD (usb only, No eSata)
you can combine 2 drives into 1
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.ph ... id=HDE.690

http://mediasonicinc.com/store/product_ ... cts_id=215

There is another too HFR2-SU2S2 (Same as HF2-Su2S2, but now with RAID)
http://mediasonicinc.com/store/product_ ... cts_id=216

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:27 am 

Hello. I just bought Mediasonic SU2S2. I have the problem, because equipment does not detect the new hard disc 1,5T Caviar Green New , neither under DellXPS16, neither under Synology DS110J. Can he advise what with this, do ?? Are some drivers necessary ???

Best Regards Daniel

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next