It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:11 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I think my EX470 has bitten the dust. This is very discouraging.

I have two error codes and I'm not sure which is the one to be believed. When I boot the EX470 the blue LED for network health blinks blue for quite a while and then turns solid red, no red blinks. The manual says this is "Operating System or Application Error" and the prescribed action is to "See Windows Home Server Console for Error Condition." That's great, but I can't "see" the console to retrieve the error condition. When I push the little button in front with a paperclip, no change in the red LED; it remains solid red.

Once, I pushed that little button while powering off the machine and the red LED blinked 5 times, indicating "multiple boot failure" and the helpful note in the manual says "Contact HP Support." Right. Good luck with that.

Several weeks ago I'd returned from vacation to see the led lights on all four disk drives blinking red and I thought "Oh oh, this doesn't look good." I backed up my important documents to a USB drive, which was a good thing. Then this morning I was able to connect one of my computers to actually restore some files from a previous backup.

But now the blinking red lights.

Am I dead in the water? If so, what is the best course of action here?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:27 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

winstonfan wrote:
...and the helpful note in the manual says "Contact HP Support." Right. Good luck with that.

In fact, I don't think it's luck at all. It's what I've come to expect. I've had all positive results with the tech support group.

Have you seen this?

HP Support uses an Interactive Voice Response (IVR) system to direct your call. When you call into the HP Number say:

1) Technical Support
2) Storage
3) HP MediaSmart Server
Alternatively, some users may have better success with:
3) A HP MediaSmart Server

In that order will get you to the right team.

If for some reason you reach someone that is not the correct group, tell the person you are speaking with to open up a tool call KEYSTONE or ACR to look up where to transfer your call.

Updated instructions:
element wrote:
Some changes seem to have been made to their voice system.

It is now:

1- Get Tech Support
2- It's something else.
3- A MediaSmart

Note: do NOT say the word "Server", because if the voice recognition system picks that up, it will route you to business support instead.

This is still by dialing 1-800-474-6836.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:27 pm 
MVP/Moderator
MVP/Moderator

winstonfan wrote:
... I have two error codes and I'm not sure which is the one to be believed. When I boot the EX470 the blue LED for network health blinks blue for quite a while and then turns solid red, no red blinks. The manual says this is "Operating System or Application Error" and the prescribed action is to "See Windows Home Server Console for Error Condition." That's great, but I can't "see" the console to retrieve the error condition. When I push the little button in front with a paperclip, no change in the red LED; it remains solid red.

Once, I pushed that little button while powering off the machine and the red LED blinked 5 times, indicating "multiple boot failure" and the helpful note in the manual says "Contact HP Support." Right. Good luck with that.

Several weeks ago I'd returned from vacation to see the led lights on all four disk drives blinking red and I thought "Oh oh, this doesn't look good." I backed up my important documents to a USB drive, which was a good thing. Then this morning I was able to connect one of my computers to actually restore some files from a previous backup.

Not sure that the paper clip timing is valid DURING a shutdown. I would have hesitations on that -- except that the message may ba a valid recommendation!

Why the hesitation to contact HP? Are you in the US? Feedback has indicated rather good success with the helpdesk. Tips for getting through that system can be found at http://www.mediasmartserver.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=776&hilit=contact+hp+help.

What have you done to this point? Have you tried a Server Restore? Can you ping the server? RDP into it? Does it work only intermittantly?

I think we could be of some help but more detail is needed...

EX475, 2 GB, LE-1640
PC1: Vista-->W7 Ultimate/32, (D-Drive RAID-5 Array)
PC2: Lenovo Laptop, Win XP Home SP3
2xLinksys WRT54G v1.1 and 2xNetGear GS105 Gbit switch

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:29 pm 
Founder
Founder

If it's blinking blue for a long time and then turns solid red, it's likely that it actually booted all the way into WHS and the system is trying to tell you something is wrong. If the Console fail to connect, do you get a failure message?

The error status is useful only prior to system boot, I would not consider any results encountered during shutdown as valid. This error checking mode occurs in the POST process prior to the OS loading.

As others have mentioned, HP support for this product is regarded as quite good, I encourage you to give them a chance to help you.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:09 am 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

On start up now I get the health LED as solid purple for a bit and then it blinks 5 red signals, then solid red. This is "Multiple Boot Failure" in the manual. Time to ring up HP support!

Thanks for the tip on how to get through to them...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:42 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

You guys are awesome! I got through to HP tech. They walked me through the Server Recovery process (not a factory reset, fortunately).

Now I have one problem I need to work around: all of my client computers are 64 bit machines and the Windows Home Server Connector software is all 32 bit. I can't figure out how to connect to the server so I can recreate the administrative account and grab the 64 bit connector software from it!

Anybody have any workaround for this? Or has Microsoft developed the 64 bit connector software that I can download directly?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:13 pm 
Founder
Founder

Glad to hear it! :hp: You have to perform the initial setup with a 32bit system, unfortunately. Hopefully you can borrow a laptop or something like that to do the initial setup and updates.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:23 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

yakuza wrote:
Glad to hear it! :hp: You have to perform the initial setup with a 32bit system, unfortunately. Hopefully you can borrow a laptop or something like that to do the initial setup and updates.

Ouch. Is there a workaround for this?

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:35 pm 
Founder
Founder

No, you have to do the initial setup with a 32bit system.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:29 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

I managed to borrow an old WinXP laptop from a friend. All is well with the world, now.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:33 pm 
Founder
Founder

Good to hear, thanks for sharing your resolution.

Thanks