It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:31 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:01 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Diehard wrote:
I have acronis TrueImage Echo Image running on my MSS but I don't see how I can backup the flash, can you please explain, maybe a screen shot ? Thanks.

With all the drives removed, I booted off of an Acronis Boot CD (via USB DVDRW drive) and saved the image of the onboard flash to another USB stick.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:33 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

ndenev wrote:
So, the recovery BIOS is not so limited, because I was able to boot not only USB floppies, but also from USB stick. The problem however is that not every boot loader works, probably because some of them rely on BIOS calls that are not implemented in the BootBlock BIOS.

Can you elaborate? If I can get GRUB/LILO to boot some sort of Linux from a flash drive I can probably format the onboard flash NTFS/FAT32 and unbrick mine.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:00 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I hoped it could be this easier... but the problem is when the real BIOS is gone, or just not used as in the case with the recovery BootBlock BIOS, Linux nor BSD nor DOS sees any of the hardware on the machine.
Linux for example detected some hardware on the PCI bus, but was unable to setup it properly because of missing IRQ routing information, etc.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:05 pm 
Founder
Founder

You may be able to use this to flash a new BIOS that does not include the USB check, though I have not tried this (ymboc is the BIOS expert, I believe) and you would lose your current BIOS/serial number that authenticates your WHS (though you should be able to activate with the product key on the bottom of your server).

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:22 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

The strange thing is that I wasn't even able to make awdflash work under recovery BIOS. Maybe I need a special version for this recovery mode, or I'm missing some command line switch. I have tried only to backup my BIOS though, but always complained (I've posted in previous posts about it)
As for the serial number and WHS, I don't really care about it because I don't plan on running it when I get my machine up again :)

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:52 pm 
1.5TB storage
1.5TB storage

ndenev wrote:
I hoped it could be this easier... but the problem is when the real BIOS is gone, or just not used as in the case with the recovery BootBlock BIOS, Linux nor BSD nor DOS sees any of the hardware on the machine.
Linux for example detected some hardware on the PCI bus, but was unable to setup it properly because of missing IRQ routing information, etc.

Weird, I thought most modern OSes tended to ignore the BIOS in favor of their own IO routines once they got into pmode.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:56 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

I think they need the BIOS or at least the ACPI table to work properly.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:20 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I'm a dabbler with bios's... I can do some basic assembly but it was all mickey-mouse school assignment useless stuff... wouldn't know where to begin to fix the limitations in the bios.

However I was thinking... what would happen if we grounded the USB +D & -D pins on the onboard flash chip (not the actual memory chip, but rather the usb<->flash chip)...

Thanks  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 11:43 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

A friend of mine gave me the same idea, and I've just downloaded the samsung flash chip datasheet.
He also told me that some flash chips, used in home routers have a special pin that clears the whole flash, I think I'm going to try this later today and let you know how it goes.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:06 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

I'm not sure but I think the samsung chip is just the memory... I think (but haven't confirmed) that the USB<->flash chip is the ICS chip closer to the CPU.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:12 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

Yes, you are right, the Samsung K9F2G08UXA(at least on my unit) is the flash memory.
I'll try to investigate the other one this weekend... because I had no luck so far in finding shop with the rework equipment capable of desoldering the BIOS chip and soldering a socket.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:55 am 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Re: trying to find a quality place to solder a Bios socket... The place I went to was a little shop that is the factory warranty authorized repair shop for a whole bunch of electronics manufacturers for my area (panasonic, samsung, pioneer, etc etc)... I found them in the yellow pages under electronics repair (their ad marketed that they repaired plasmas)... basically I called everyone in the yellow pages and asked if they did Surface Mount Soldering.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:18 pm 
1TB storage
1TB storage

The ICS chip near the CPU seems to be the clock generator. The real USB<->Flash bridge chip is located on the other side of the board, exactly under the Samsung flash chip, a SMI SM3210F chip. So far I'm unable to find datasheet for it, but I'm continuing to search.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:45 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Argh... good catch. I was reviewing all my pictures (both sides of the board) the other day... and sure enough when I check today there it is right where you said it was... can't believe I missed it... bah!

You've probably already found it but for the others watching:SM321 Product Info

Any additional (useful) information requires a login.

Looking at the attached picture... maybe temporarily disconnecting/grounding the 12Mhz Clock might be enough. There's some other interesting looking stuff going on but electronics is not my background so I can't decipher much.

Attachments:
MSS_SM3210F.jpg
MSS_SM3210F.jpg [ 76.62 KiB | Viewed 9048 times ]
Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:06 am 
1TB storage
1TB storage

It worked! Shorting the data pins on the SM321 chip did the trick, I was able to boot FreeBSD again, and restored the Flash contents, and now my ex470 is UnBricked! :)

Thanks  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next