It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:29 am 

So I have an Ex470 that I bought about 5 or 6 years ago and then shelved. I have all the original disk, but can't find the Server restore disk at the moment.

The original boot disk that I had saved seems to have been reused and now is blank so I can't reboot it from that. I have done some searches and found the V3 of the WHS software someone uploaded but when using that it will search for the server and not find it.

So here is what I have done and the status of my system.

From a cold boot the lights seem fine. The health light starts out purple then flashes Blue/Red and then switches to flash Purple/Red. The fan does spin up and then down after a few seconds.

I don't have the video cable, might look at buying one.

Any suggestions?

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:08 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

My 2 cents, I started with a couple of 470's.
It sounds like it is not new, or when it booted up the light bars would be pulsing.
So it will need to be rebuilt.
Having the correct server recovery disk and server software disk is the only way to get it going.
If you have the correct server recovery disk, the "can not find server" can be caused by a few things: Firewall/antivirus/wifi on a laptop.
Try booting the pc you are using to reload the server into safe mode with networking and if it is a laptop, disable the wifi and use a cat cable.
That should get ya started, let us know how it's going.
I have the 510's now and the best way to reload them is a direct connection with the cat cable, but I don't remember on the 470, I don't think you needed to do that.
If safe mode fails, might try a direct connection, a normal network cable will work.
Good Luck

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:03 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

SciFiJunkie wrote:
So I have an Ex470 that I bought about 5 or 6 years ago and then shelved. I have all the original disk, but can't find the Server restore disk at the moment.

The original boot disk that I had saved seems to have been reused and now is blank so I can't reboot it from that.
Any suggestions?

I don't follow. Your trying to reboot the server from the boot disk ?

Your supposed to run the Server Recovery DVD on your PC and boot the server and press the pin to get the server into Recovery Mode. Then the software should find the server.

Pressing the pin at the right time can be tricky. Best to do the Pull/Push method. Pull out the system drive (lowest drive) out about 2" then power on the server. It will see that there is no system drive and jump into Recovery Mode automatically (not pin pushing required). Wait about 8 seconds then Push the system drive back in. Then run the Recovery Software on the PC. It should find the server.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2016 8:52 am 
2.5TB storage
2.5TB storage

Diehard - I didn't know that. Great tip although can't remember the last time I had to move down a recovery path.

Thanks  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:14 pm 
.5TB storage
.5TB storage

Disks - https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing

Thanks