It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Recent News:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:40 am 

I cannot connect to the dashboard of my server. Every time I try to login I get this error -

"This computer cannot connect to the home server. Check you network connection and make sure your home sever is powered on. If you home server has recently started, try again in a few minutes"

I can access my server folders/files through through File Explorer.

Any help or suggestions.

Thanks  

Attention Guest: Remove this ad by Registering with the MediaSmartServer.net Forums. It's Free!
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:07 am 
Max Contributor
Max Contributor

I will assume you have rebooted it and came up with the same thing.
I will assume you "do not" have (the must have) Free Addin SMART so you can see the real status/health of your drives.
http://www.dojonorthsoftware.net/dl/InstallHomeServerSMARTClassic.zip

My guess would be that the main OS drive is having some problems, maybe one of the other drives.

Can you remote desktop into the system? If so, then doing a disk cleanup on the C drive might help clear out some room, sometimes the os drives fill up with logs and old files and can give you trouble.

Do you have a usb to sata dock or cables to be able to check drives out of the server? One comes in handy for the servers.
The bottom drive is the OS drive. I would mark it and pull it out, attach it to a desktop or to a usb to sata dock and run checkdisk on it.

You may end up doing a server recovery, but you need to know the condition of all the drives first, it only takes one failing drive to muck everything up.

Once you know the condition of your drives, if you need to replace the os drive and perform a recovery (not a reset), I would recommend a 2 tb WD red drive, or Black if you feel the need for a little more speed and some extra heat. 2tb drives are cheap these days, at least a 1tb drive..
Then you will need the 3 cd's that came with the system, one of the disks is the server recovery disk, the second is the server software, then the last is the client recovery disk.

Hopefully this will get ya started, shout out if you have any questions and more information on how many drives you have, what size they are, do you have duplication turned on for your shares, do you have a backup of the data you can't lose?
These will help on how to proceed.

Good Luck You have found the best site for these server IMHO.

:twisted: Fear the Cloud :twisted:

Thanks  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:47 pm 
Top Contributor
Top Contributor

Has your server been unplugged from the power ?
Do a RDC to the server and check that the Date, Time, Time Zone match the PC.

Thanks